Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mirena coil

• 06-05-2019 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi Ladies
    I am thinking of going this route due to heavy periods. I don't really need it as contraception. Any reviews good or bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Hi Ladies
    I am thinking of going this route due to heavy periods. I don't really need it as contraception. Any reviews good or bad?

Got one in 3 years ago, it's grand. No periods or babies, happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

I don’t have it myself but one of my best friends did. She was in her 20s when she got it in but had a hard time getting it inserted. She had to be put under general anaesthetic to get it taken out last year. But they had no surprise pregnancies so it did the job

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Have it in a year, wish I'd done it years ago!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Got one in 3 years ago, it's grand. No periods or babies, happy days :)

Same! Highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mon2002

This is my 2nd one. Have it in over 5 years no babies no side effects. Will be getting it replaced over the summer. Find it great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 BlueRoom63

Got mine in February! I found the insertion very painful as I’ve never given birth but it stopped the horrible bleeding I’ve had for over 10 years! Definitely recommend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm currently looking into the Kyleena, a doctor I trust recommended it as more suitable for a patient like me (younger, haven't given birth, prone to side effects from oral contraception). I've not made my mind up yet but thought I'd share, if anyone has it what's it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭extrapolate

I had the Mirena for heavy periods, it was recommended by my doctor. General anaesthetic to get it inserted, that was grand. Coming out was another story I'd rather not relive. I waited a couple of years and suffered with the heavy bleeding out of fear from everything that happened. It eventually got unbearable and I was put on Cerazette. Been on it for around a year now [or thereabouts], it took a while to calm my period but for the past 5 months or so the freedom has been great!

For anyone reading this, I would try oral contraceptives before going down the Mirena route. I know it's different for everyone and it's a hassle having to take a daily pill, but it really can help if you stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

Have my coil in nearly 5 years. Best thing ever invented if you ask me . No more heavy horrible crippling periods. My GP told me it has cut the amount of hysterectomies in half over the last 20 years. I was heading down that road, so the relief of no periods has been a God send.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I probably should have mentioned I had to get mine inserted in the hospital as I have never given birth. My GP tried and failed to put it in.

I was awake the whole time, no anaesthetic, legs akimbo in stirrups. Took about 2 minutes for the doctor to insert it, he had warned me I might need the Jaydess one (it only lasts 3 years but it's smaller than mirena) if it couldn't be inserted.

After reading the above posts I'm nervous about getting it replaced next year, it should be the final one next time as I'll be in menopause by then. I'm hoping a general anaesthetic won't be needed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Rosepetals85

Hi Ladies

I’m on my third one, first two, no period at all. This one I get a period although not as heavy as a regular period. Somewhat uncomfortable although I do recommend it.

I had no anaesthetic, so you do get a dull cramp when it’s being inserted

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Anna2834

I had the Mirena coil back in 2012 - easy enough insertion, horrible side effects for me. Took it out about 12 months later. My symptoms ranged from horrible aches to really bad skin - I had boils on my face. Removing it was ok too.

However I have friends who swear by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

Sorry if this is resurrecting an old thread. My periods are not any lighter they are heavy, I have shorter cycles and lasting longer-has anyone had this? I am thinking I will just get it removed although it is working effectively as contraception and don’t need to take the pill. I have it in a year in February. I also have an ache in my side about 5 days before I get my period although my period itself is not that painful. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Hi. I’m on my 3rd one and have never looked back. I originally got it for heavy periods and as a contraceptive. It worked for each. Firstly, if you’ve ever had a smear test or given birth, the insertion should be very easy, if you haven’t, your gynaecologist or GP should prescribe something to relax you beforehand. The first year can be hit and miss, so don’t give up as it really can take a while to settle as was the case with my daughter, mine only took a few months. Make sure your GP has good experience with this and if not, go to your gynae. My daughter says it was life altering for her as it was for me also. Lastly, I’m now in my mid 50’s and still have my coil in. I’ve been closely monitored by my GP and gynae the past 10 years so tests showed I had the menopause after I turned 50. I’ve hardly ever experienced any symptoms and only for the tests, I wouldn’t have known I had it, my GP thinks it’s because I kept the coil in and it would still be releasing a small amount of the hormones (also, I could be just very lucky so far). So it’s helped me hugely. Obviously, different things suit each of us but make sure your comfortable with your decision whichever you choose.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Robyn_14 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is resurrecting an old thread. My periods are not any lighter they are heavy, I have shorter cycles and lasting longer-has anyone had this? I am thinking I will just get it removed although it is working effectively as contraception and don’t need to take the pill. I have it in a year in February. I also have an ache in my side about 5 days before I get my period although my period itself is not that painful. Thanks!

I have it in almost 3 years. I have a small bit of spotting in place of a heavy period, but still get PMS symptoms. I dont know how long my cycle is, as the spotting is so minor, and I havent been too good at tracking the PMS. If you have concerns, I would definitely talk to your doctor to see what they advise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Yeah as cee_jay said above, I'd go to my doctor about this. We are (obviously) not qualified to give advice beyond anything but anecdotally and in our own experience. I have it about 3 and a half years and I think I experienced a little more bleeding than I had for the first few months. I think I experienced spotting for like 4 months or something but it has largely settled down now. I get the odd random day of spotting and I still get PMS and bloating symptoms but generally loving not having had to buy any sanitary products in 3 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

I have it in since august and I’m having similar issues. I have diagnosed endometriosis. My periods have gone from 4-5 days of hell pre laparoscopy and coil insertion to bleeding for two straight weeks. It’s light after the first few days but it just won’t stop and is driving me demented. My skin has also broken out for the first time since my teens. My pain has dropped significantly but I don’t know if that’s the excision or the coil.

I’m giving it the full six months then going back to the GP. At nearly a year I would go back to your doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

Hi all, I actually got it removed last week. The shorter cycles and PMS ( pain and feeling very teary, well more than usual ha)wasn’t worth it. It was great not having to take anything but that was about it. I’ve since got my period and it’s heavier than it was in the coil, and they were heavy with the coil (I’d forgotten just how heavy mine were naturally ) but it’s not painful and I think I’ll just leave putting anything else in me for a while , though she gave me prescription for pill.
    I really wish it had worked better for me

Advertisement