Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volunteering aboard

• 23-04-2019 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am unemployed and I like to volunteer aboard, is it hard.
    I have some skills in IT and farming.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can get the EU to sponsor you and pay you a small allowance while you do it.

https://www.vsi.ie/volunteer/longterm/evs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Very much depends on what you mean by "volunteering" and "abroad"! :pac:

Every year, I take charge of a motley crew of volunteers at a festival in France, all of whom find it a worthwhile experience - some of them so much so that they come back year after year after year. Is it hard? Well, it all depends on what you're expecting. One year, I had two lads competing against each other to see who could do the longest shift. The winner was doing 17.5hrs by the fourth day :eek: ... but he's now a team manager in his own right! Had a girl from Sligo come over with absolutely no French, and by the fourth day was chatting away to the natives in their own language. So it's as hard and/or rewarding as you make it.

I've looked at the VSI opportunities for myself, but even though I've got a very good set of "transferable skills" I rarely match what they're looking for ... so I concentrate now on looking after my own volunteers. Mid July, if you're interested in giving it a shot. PM for further details (or search my post history! :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

That sounds class CelticRambler.

Is there an age limit?

Advertisement