Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abortion ref - am I the only one who doesn't care?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

seachto7 wrote: »
    Froshtbit wrote: »
    It's kind of a big deal for everybody. I dont partake in conversations related to it at work or on facebook but you know, it' understandable why people are talking about it.

I get that's a big deal for a lot of people, but there's surely plenty of people like me who don't give a ****?

Well you should give a f**k. It might have an impact on a friend or relation down the line.
    Me me me me me me ,
    Exactly it never ceases to amaze me how some people could be so ignorant when it could affect one of their own family members down the line its hugely important to go out there and cast your vote at least you could make a difference rather than sitting around not caring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I may even consider spoiling my vote. But the total poll will still reflect that I took part.

That's the way I'm leaning too. There are far too many nasties on both sides of the debate for me to feel comfortable supporting either faction. Even on this thread there's been quite a lot of patronising talking down to the OP for daring not to care.

Furthermore, given the growing number of pond lives (both Right and Left Wing) and populist chancers that are being elected/appointed to both houses of the Oireachtas, I'm more than a little sceptical of their ability to make good laws, should the repealers win the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Depends on their fan-base, example the Healy-Raes will never be 'struggling' with their beliefs.

I can respect people who maintain their genuinely held beliefs.
    I can respect people who change their beliefs, legitimately, after careful consideration.

But backflips for votes is not a policy that should be supported.

I'm probably being a bit naive, now. We are talking about politicians. What the hell are we meant to expect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭taserfrank

I won't be bothered voting- I couldn't give a damn about this referendum, even though it would have been funny to see the meltdown of the left if they lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Have a read of the "In her shoes" Facebook group and then ask yourself if you don't care.
    It's barbaric what's happening and we need to start treating our ladies better as a society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Squatter wrote:
    That's the way I'm leaning too. There are far too many nasties on both sides of the debate for me to feel comfortable supporting either faction. Even on this thread there's been quite a lot of patronising talking down to the OP for daring not to care.

How about look at the referendum in isolation and ignore the gobsh*tes on both sides. Then make your decision.

taserfrank wrote: »
    I won't be bothered voting- I couldn't give a damn about this referendum, even though it would have been funny to see the meltdown of the left if they lost!

If it doesn't pass this time, there is likely to be another referendum next year. The illusion of choice and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

If it doesn't pass this time, there is likely to be another referendum next year. The illusion of choice and all that.

It will definitely pass like despite the people who want to bring in a UK style system the referendum is about the 8th, like i regularly argue with the more hard core pro-choice posters but will probably vote to repeal (not sure if I am in country) as the 8th isn't appropriate or even functional.

I think that it will pass eventually but I don't see how you can be so sure that it will pass on the first go. Maybe it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭indy_man

DcAUF4PXUAAy7tm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wish I could not care but I've been personally affected by the 8th and will continue to do so until menopause. It's continued existence affects every woman I love. It's too important not to care.

indy_man wrote: »
    DcAUF4PXUAAy7tm.jpg

The mental gymnastics required for the no side to come out with this are quite something. I smell desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I'm not too pushed about the referendum. If I was in politics, I'd only be using it as a bargaining chip to entice a party with strong views on the issue into coalition, in exchange for unquestioningly following my vision. It'd be a bargaining chip and nothing more.

Somewhat like the prominent Irish politicians who were pro-life, who then "struggled with their beliefs" are now pro-choice.

Q: what changed?
    A: the wind.
    You mistake me entirely. I would not mention it all, to me it would be a non-issue. It would only be a way to entice a political partner who might otherwise turn up their nose at my beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Flying Fox wrote: »
    The mental gymnastics required for the no side to come out with this are quite something. I smell desperation.
    It's the John Mc guirk way... Fling as much rubbish as you possibly can and hope something sticks.

I am gay and I will be voting for repeal (as will vast majority of gay people I know)

You mistake me entirely. I would not mention it all, to me it would be a non-issue. It would only be a way to entice a political partner who might otherwise turn up their nose at my beliefs.

I wasn't criticizing you, if it came across that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    How about look at the referendum in isolation and ignore the gobsh*tes on both sides. Then make your decision.

I addressed that bit in the paragraph of my post that you forgot to quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

taserfrank wrote: »

hilarious stuff alright. Hope it stays fine for you & yours and you are never faced with any of the myriad situations that the 8th makes even more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I have a few friends on facebook who are into the repeal or keep campaign.

'Unfollow' is a great feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The result is not important to me.

Until a point in the future when it becomes important to you.

But sure maybe you'll get lucky and whichever woman in your life is suffering will keep it to herself and deal with it alone without annoying you about it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have to say I feel the same way you do OP. Really don' care. I will vote but not sure which way. Leaning towards No but will see closer to the date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The guilt-trips about hypothetical situations are coming on hot and heavy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I wasn't criticizing you, if it came across that way.
    I understand it wasn't criticism.I just wanted to make it clear I would never express a view on it in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The guilt-trips about hypothetical situations are coming on hot and heavy....
    Have a read of the in her shoes page on facebook....these are not "hypothetical situations"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Don't really care because I can't vote. Coming from a country with abortion permitted up to 12 weeks in place already and seeing that this doesn't cause the end of society as we know it I don't really see how this topic can be chewed into oblivion.
    I realised people just like to argue. Once that's over there will be another thing coming up to split the country and have them verbally bash each other until a referendum comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

OP is not alone. Plenty of people in Ireland lack empathy, imagination, or both.

But when something directly affects them, they'll make sure we all have to care about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

gmisk wrote: »
    Have a read of the in her shoes page on facebook....these are not "hypothetical situations"

FAKE NEWS!!!!"L!"J!"I"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Abortion is a medical procedure that women can go abroad to access without legal repercussions.

Assuming they have the cash.

and aren't already in hospital here and its too late.

or they are in prison.

or otherwise in the care of the state.

or in Direct provision.

or in an abusive relationship.

or...

indy_man wrote: »
    DcAUF4PXUAAy7tm.jpg

Cheeky sods!

No, this is not Lisbon or Nice where we can get a quick clarification or protocol and then pass it.

We'll have to wait a few years for more No voters to die off, I'd say 5 at least. There will probably be another headline death/scandal in that timeframe to kick up headlines, or perhaps the AG will be forced to get off his arse and jail some teen for buying abortion pills online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Squatter wrote:
    I addressed that bit in the paragraph of my post that you forgot to quote.

You didn't actually you went off on a tangent about pond life. The referendum affects women's health. Nothing more nothing less.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement