Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭passremarkable

I thought the lads were exaggerating about Robbie Keane's goal, but jesssus..

You have to laugh at the other chap, putting his hand up to his head (as if he'd missed) at 0:13

god thats unreal...man robbie...that something you would see inzaghi at!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Richie Sadlier is giving some great revelations about the Millwall Christmas Parties at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Skid wrote: »
    Richie Sadlier is giving some great revelations about the Millwall Christmas Parties at the moment.

Hookers and people shooting up the place... Shur it was the same when I used to work for a north side company..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sadlier's the best thing to happen to Irish football punditry in years. The proverbial fresh air and the honesty of his stories makes for super listening.

The fact that he wasn't at a 'big' club makes them more interesting for me as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Were any books released this year not "compelling"..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Looking forward to Ken's return,just not as entertaining a show without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Looking forward to Ken's return,just not as entertaining a show without him.

I switched it off Monday night as soon as I heard them saying he was off for the week. I caught a bit of the football show last night, it was deadly dull stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I love listening to Richie Sadlier, he really is compelling to listen to.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Vahevala wrote: »
    I love listening to Richie Sadlier, he really is compelling to listen to.

+1. He's definitely the best pundit to come on the scene in a long while. Saw him on Premier Soccer Saturday yesterday, so incisive and interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Richie Sadlier is great. An example to all the footballers that want to work in media after their playing career. Don't go into "footballer cliche media mode" when on camera or in front of a mic. Just be honest and tell us what really happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I think they are in danger of over exposing Richie. He is ok but the long slots from 930 to 10, a Wednesday night is it (?), are slow going at times.

I think it was mentioned that he was in school with McDevitt (Benildus, Kilmacud possibly??) and there is a feeling he is being helped out in getting his fledgling media career started. A bit like Shaggy on rugby matters - he has connections with the show as well.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    I think they are in danger of over exposing Richie. He is ok but the long slots from 930 to 10, a Wednesday night is it (?), are slow going at times.

I think it was mentioned that he was in school with McDevitt (Benildus, Kilmacud possibly??) and there is a feeling he is being helped out in getting his fledgling media career started. A bit like Shaggy on rugby matters - he has connections with the show as well.

I think it would be better if they had a general chat with him about a number of events in the news that week instead of just picking one topic, which is what they have been doing each week. Tonight's coin tossing item ran out of steam pretty quickly. Still think he good though.

Richie's media career is a bit further along than fledgling. His Sindo column has been going strong for a good few years now and I'm fairly sure that RTE have earmarked him as one of their main pundits once the old guard moves on. I think he was a few years ahead of Mcdevitt in school and there's nothing more to it than that, I never got the impression that they knew each other back then. You have a point about Shaggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Who is Shaggy?

Who is Shaggy?

HoganT.jpg

Shane Horgan

Who is Shaggy?
    HoganT.jpg

Shane Horgan

...brother of OTB's producer.

...brother of OTB's producer.

Regardless of who he is related to, he is a very good contributor on both RTE and Newstalk.

As an eloquent recently retired International I'm sure he didn't need any family help to get started in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Richie is a rubbish pundit IMO. He's very hard to listen too. Although he would be good by Irish standards.

Regardless of who he is related to, he is a very good contributor on both RTE and Newstalk.

As an eloquent recently retired International I'm sure he didn't need any family help to get started in the media.

I think he is an OK pundit, no more than that, but as in all these matters - it's a subjective thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Rugby IMO gets way to much air time anyway for what in this country is a minority sport. Just because the owners/MDs of radio stations etc are interested if Paulie or Rog or Drico farted 2 weeks before some meaningless league game in a makey up tournament doesen mean that it should be top billing on our sports bulletins.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Rugby IMO gets way to much air time anyway for what in this country is a minority sport. Just because the owners/MDs of radio stations etc are interested if Paulie or Rog or Drico farted 2 weeks before some meaningless league game in a makey up tournament doesen mean that it should be top billing on our sports bulletins.

I think you're completely wrong. I don't like rugby at all, but along with football, gaelic and hurling, rugby is one of the biggest sports in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So you want to spend more time on a sport where all the games are played in a foreign country with a handful of Irish players than you do on a sport that has a big following consisting for the most part of Irish players based in Ireland ?

Aren't all leagues makey up, someone had to come up with the idea in the first place.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

In the summer months GAA gets twice as much coverage on OTB as anything else. During the winter Rugby and Soccer get coverage because there are no notable GAA games going on.

Unless they want to turn it into a local radio sports show that gives 20 minute round ups of the U-14's Junior C camogie League Quarter-Final replay.

So in short, what should, in your opinion, be leading the sports bulletins?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

The massive scandal during the Hot fork Buffet quiz was absolutely hilarious.

As was Ken Early's retelling of Benitez's man management skills. Space-Pace.

Great show this evening.

The massive scandal during the Hot fork Buffet quiz was absolutely hilarious.

https://soundcloud.com/off-the-ball/the-lance-armstrong-of-the

Great stuff, you would never get Des Cahill or anyone on RTE taking such a firm stand on quiz irregularities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Very disappointing post!! Rugby has grown hugely over the last 10 years and more and more people have access to it now that didn't in the past.
    It is also significant that we have professional sportsmen that are living and working in Ireland where we can watch them in the flesh week in week out instead of having to watch them on TV like our professional soccer players!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Very disappointing post!! Rugby has grown hugely over the last 10 years and more and more people have access to it now that didn't in the past.
    It is also significant that we have professional sportsmen that are living and working in Ireland where we can watch them in the flesh week in week out instead of having to watch them on TV like our professional soccer players!

some of ye have short memories, i recall OTB having live magners league matches on a friday evening almost every week during the winter. (nowadays they mock the magners a bit during team sheets being read out) makes the wednesday night segment a bit small.

what i do irk at is there being no football show during the summer because, you as know, there is no soccer played during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

some of ye have short memories, i recall OTB having live magners league matches on a friday evening almost every week during the winter. (nowadays they mock the magners a bit during team sheets being read out) makes the wednesday night segment a bit small.

what i do irk at is there being no football show during the summer because, you as know, there is no soccer played during the summer.

Apologies but I have completely missed the point you are trying to make,you have quoted my post so I presume there is something in it that you agree/disagree with??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There is no Mangers league to be mocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

https://soundcloud.com/off-the-ball/the-lance-armstrong-of-the

Great stuff, you would never get Des Cahill or anyone on RTE taking such a firm stand on quiz irregularities.

I couldn't believe them calling that guy out like that - fantastic radio.

I *love* the Thursday night head-to-head quiz - well, I love the intro sequence with Murph supposedly psyching himself up. It always makes me laugh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

due to the unfortunate circumstances, i'd say the lads will be digging out the Paidi o' Shea interview.

there was a great quote on how Paidi would motivate a team at halftime if they were trailing in a match

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement