Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1926 Census

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Potentially a massive part of my Grandmother's history. Born in prison to a criminal mother in 1924, and turns up in an orphanage in 1930. The 1926 census could offer an insight into what happened to her and her mother. My father is chomping at the bit in anticipation!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've got a mystery of a brother of my great grandfather flitting back and forth between Ireland and the US - he married an Irish woman from the same island in Scotland then used to come home and impregnate her every so often. His own son hadn't a notion where he died (and his grandson less - I've provided more info to him than he ever had) but if I can tie him down in '26 it'll be a huge help and if I can't I know to start digging at lines in the US '30 census.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SherHist

Well there is an election and a very important centenary next year - time to start annoying the relevant political heads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

The 1926 census is of interest to me as my Dad who was born in 1923 died recently and he never spoke much about his family or ancestors so alI I have to go on is little snippets of information he told us down the years. The 1901 and 1911 census were great to get the basics before he was born. I found out that my great Grandfather and great Grandmother met when they worked together in what must have been a big farmhouse. She was a maid and he was a farmhand. I suspect though that the information on both those census's is a bit sketchy and possibly not complete as there is no mention of my great grand uncles in either. They all went off to WW1 and were never heard of again - at least that's what my Dad told me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If the uncles were over say 16, they easily could be living and working elsewhere or be in the army already.

Something I mentioned further up the thread, about looking forward to seeing where my family was living later in the 20th century.

If your ancestors were in Dublin then the recently increased set of electoral registers (1908-1915 & 1938-1964) on dublinheritage.ie might be of use. I've just figured out when a couple of people died, based on their omission from the register and have sent off for death certs to confirm.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Was just wondering as the 1926 census will not be released till 2027 can you go and view it about your own family in the national archives, Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was just wondering as the 1926 census will not be released till 2027 can you go and view it about your own family in the national archives, Thanks

No, its protected by the Statistics Act currently which the 1901/11 ones never were - hence how you could view those at the NAI well before the online version.

Advertisement