Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surnames archive in the Tower of Dublin?

• 24-04-2011 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi all,

Where in Dublin is an archive of surname's history? They do not have only irish surnames but other countries as well. I was there many, many years ago, but I cannot remember where it is. My father says he was told in the Tower of Dublin, but I cannot find anything about it. Do you know? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There is no "tower of Dublin" as such but he's probably thinking of Bedford Tower in Dublin Castle, which was formerly the home of the office of the Chief Herald (and prior to the treaty, the Ulster King of Arms).

You can find the Chief Herald in the National Library today:
    http://www.nli.ie/en/heraldry-introduction.aspx

What are you looking for particularly? They just really grant new arms for ridiculous money these days. If you want to know where a particular surname comes from, or something, we can probably help you here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement