Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was once there?

• 17-04-2011 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Currently I am researching my family ancestry. I have come across an address, during my research and although I have check Google maps and street view, all I come up with is a relatively new looking bungalow.

My great grandfather was christened at 544 Maynooth Road in Kildare about 1871. I have looked to see if there was a Church back then but cannot find any records. I don't know what website I can look at for further information.

If anyone knows what was there in 1871 please let me know.

Thank you

Merlie :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Are you sure about that address ? I wouldn't have thought that we were using road numbering like that (so high) way back then.

This is a rough approximation of the location on the OSI mapping site - http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,697076,734085,7,9 - and if you click on the different layers (different years of mapping) there doesn't seem to be a whole lot there.

The proximity to Carton House might indicate that he was involved in some way with the house *if* the location is accurate.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Out of curiosity, where did you find the 544 from? It'd be unusual for any Irish street to have a number that high. Just wondering if perhaps it's a page number from the Civil Registration Index.

Advertisement