Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How correct are the years in familysearch.org?

• 13-04-2011 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the years of birth and marriage in familysearch.org can be wrong?
    I've been doing a family tree and looked for my great Grandparents wedding date expecting it to be in a certain year but it's out by over 2 years, I'm wondering what the likelyhood of a mistake like that is?

I know my grandfathers date of birth and found him on familysearch with the correct timeframe.

So to fit in with that they would have had to be married in q3 1918 but it's on there as q4 1920. Is it wrong or have I discovered a well kept secret!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

calibelle wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the years of birth and marriage in familysearch.org can be wrong?
    I've been doing a family tree and looked for my great Grandparents wedding date expecting it to be in a certain year but it's out by over 2 years, I'm wondering what the likelyhood of a mistake like that is?

I know my grandfathers date of birth and found him on familysearch with the correct timeframe.

So to fit in with that they would have had to be married in q3 1918 but it's on there as q4 1920. Is it wrong or have I discovered a well kept secret!!

could be a bit of a and a bit of b, ive been searching for my great great grandparents and managed to confuse the heck out of myself until i discovered there was 2 couples with the same name and from the same area that married 18months apart, best bet might be to order your granddads birth cert and see what names his parents are going under and then order the marriage cert to see if everything adds up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If I've learnt anything in studying my ancestry, it's that dates and ages are often wrong. Like you, I checked my own grandparents' marriage in the LDS and found it in the wrong quarter of the right year and presumed it was a mistake. But I ordered the cert and it turned out they were married 6 months after they celebrated for the rest of their lives, which made my mother a pre-marital conception! It was quite a surprise and we never let on to my at the time still alive grandmother, we told the rest of the family after she died. No one minded, of course.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement