Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Resort Report thread

• 26-01-2007 1:37pm
    Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what sort of response this thread will get, but sure we will try it anyways, and if there is enough useful information we might sticky it.

What type of things to put in this thread:

1. Where and when you went.
    2. What you did there ski/board/blade.
    3. How were the conditions on/off piste.
    4. Are you beginner/intermed/advanced.
    5. What were the bars/restaurants like.
    6. Anything in particular to recommend about this resort.
    7. Any hidden gems you found nearby.
    8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans.
    9. Any other relevant comments, and whether you would go again.

I am off next week so I will update here too after that. I am hoping that this will be somewhere that people in future times can look at and say "That sounds like somewhere I want to go". Anyone who wants to add in recent trips feel free

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

1. Meribel - Mottaret, 3valleys, France -13th Jan '07
    2. Skiing and blading
    3. Was slightly rubbish snowfall before hand but on piste was fine on the runs from the top of the mountains, but the runs down to the various resorts were a bit messed up towards the end of each day but there are lots of nice wide open runs available down into all of the 3 valleys and plenty to choose from whatever the conditions. Off piste was not really possible for my rubbish abilities at that to even attempt really though due to the conditions.
    4. Erm, dunno depends what scale we are measuring on. Bode Millers got nothing to worry about yet though I've no problem getting down any run, just with slightly less style on the blacker/ bumpier ones.
    5. It seemed to be mostly self catering apartment in Mottaret, but we could never be bothered to cook, the few restaurants that we sampled around the top end of Mottaret were very good though. But this can of course add significantly to the cost of a trip eating out every night, but it was worth it.
    6. Direct ski in/ ski out access, or very short walk for pretty much everywhere in Mottaret as far as I could tell. No chance of getting bored of the variety of runs.
    7. Dunno, wasn't paying enough attention as I was too drunk on cheap wine and beer.
    8. The resort looked to be nearly empty when we were there, compared to what the number of lifts suggested that it could cope with, but it seemed to be possibly 50% British/ Irish 50% Rest of Europe but that is had to tell really.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

2007 Holiday report: Soll

06-jan-2007, Ski-welt Soll

Mixed group, but I skied.

Not great, interconnecting runs between different parts of the Ski-Welt were in poor condition and unnavigable for beginners or unconfident intermeds. Off piste almost non-existent. Soll ski-school pass limited to almost nothing in terms of runs, best skiing was found in westendorf, more interesting runs, that actually had some snow to boot.

Intermediate that has hit his plateau.

One hell of a session here. 5am drinking available for the hollow-legged holidaymaker. Beer cheap, around ~3 - 3.20 € per pint.

Good variety of non-skiing activities on offer (some of our group did an Olympic bob-sled run). The session in particular is pretty hardcore here. In good snow conditions the runs must be fantastic - the descents in particular. Piste operators really know their stuff here, managing to maintain at least decent snow conditions based on <30cm snowfall. The view from the summit of the Soll mountain is breathtaking, one of the best mountain views I have seen.

Westendorf only accessible via taxi, or organised bus, or if you ski over to Brixen and descend and get the Brixen - Westendorf shuttle. But the best runs are there, real long, twisty and tree-lined. Westendorf is meant to be really pretty and scenic, but it was shrouded in mist when we got there.

8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans.

Highest paddy count ever. Lots of brits too, but the irish presence here is huge. Lots of Austrians too etc. But irish are a huge proportion of foreign holidaymakers here.

We tend to never visit the same resort twice, and if we were to break that habit, we would probably choose a different resort anyway (like Chamonix). Also Soll/Ski Welt is low altitude, which meant that it got the short end of the stick with respect to snowfall and snow conditions. Also, your ski-school pass in Soll is very limiting. Only 6 runs are available, and only in the Soll area to a ski-school lift pass. This is quite restrictive by comparison with other resorts, the Soll area in particular ramps up in slope difficulty quite fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Bankso, Bulgaria January 2007

Board

Conditions were average due to a poor winter, snowed on my 2nd last day which opened up another 4-6 runs.
    Off piste is a no no. Trees are very close together and even on the main runs alot of rocks and roots are just under the surface. I would be very carefull.

intermed/advanced

Bars/Restaurants were quite cheap, but you really have to bring your own fun. Apres Ski was quite tame.
    They dont seem to believe in Breakfast near the gondola we had to have main courses pasta/pizza 3 or 4 times (Mostly due to us not scouting around and being generally lazy.)
    On the mountain your best bet is pizza slices the rest of the food is all deep fried and not the best, alot of chips, some sort of meat on a stick that kind of thing.

Very Cheap, lift pass was ~€130, Ski lessons were €30 for 4 hours. I found the instructors to be quite poor though. For instance my advanced lesson also had a begineer in it.
    local beer is about €1.5 to €2 quite nice too.
    They sell pancakes on the way to the mountain which are lovely
    Quite a large area for begineers

Mostly Eastern Europeans

The main gondola lift up to the mountain takes about 20 minutes after queueing which is a nighmare, more of a push up the stairs. They dont have ANY queueing system in place think masses of people pushing in from all sides. The lift down the mountain had a large queue from 3 on wards. This is not a place I would personally bring children.

Just a point to note, the nearest bank to the gondola + the pass machine at the gondola dont accept Visa, or AIB/BOI cards even though the show that symbol that they should. We eventually found a Bank down near the town square that did accept them though. The bank is off on a side street.

I might go again on account of the cheapness for a quiet holiday but I wouldnt go again for my main holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Bad HofGastein, Austria - 2 weeks late Jan 2007

I own my own boots and salomon SB9 blades. One day I will own a pair of Revel8 skiboards http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2/graphics/rvl8/06/rvl8_emp06.jpg
    and scoff at Salomon snowblades -
    whats wrong with salomon snowblades
    My SB9s are not too bad as they are a full skiboard shape - symetrical tips/tails - but suffer the same flex problems as they have 8 hole bindings whic makes them stiff. Not sure if salomon still make them - they seem to have gone to a 120cm length with a skibinding (4 hole) - id like to try them, might test them and give 'em a shot next trip. Hard to get good skiboards in europe.

4 days of very little snow - sunshine runs on hardpack with lots of ice patches - blades performed fine. offpiste - either Hard crust or grass!unskiable for the most part.
    2 days of rain :mad: - 2 days off
    4 days of snow - including a massive dump that put a foot of new snow (powder) on piste and +2 feet of powder offpiste.

Blades performed very well but struggled badly off piste in deep power, hence my yearning for a pair of Revel8.

Life queues very short, rarely had to wait more than 2 mins, most times ski straight through the liftpass machine.

Depends whose asking :) Basically I can blade (skiboard) most of the mountain, comfortable on high level reds, easy/med blacks.

Half-board at 4* so didnt eat out that much, but food was excellent in the mountains (especially the germknodel - a giant dumpling filled with plum sauce and served with a kind of custard - essential ski food)
    Nothing special about the bars except for great austrian/german beer!

Access to the Alpentherme - sheer heaven http://www.alpentherme.com

My wife was there for the 'cure' - she has asthma so the heilstollen (natural thermal radon caves) are really good for her...she doesn't ski so we found this to be a great resort for non-skiers (this is our second year there)
    http://www.gasteiner-heilstollen.com/en/index.php

Few Brits/Irish, mostly Austrians, Bavarians, Poles, Slovaks, Russians and Finns (for some weird reason)

Recommend this as a ski destination for mixed ski/non-ski couples. Alpentherme is great and you can spend most of the day there if conditions are crap, I often packed up at 1/2pm (I'm an early starter - like to be making first tracks at 8am when the rest are crawling down to breakfast) and hit the sauna/outdoor pool. Nice feel to the place as it feels like a town rather than a few huts up a mountain. Strongly recommend this over Bad Gastein.

Good resort for intermediates, plenty of good reds, not fantastic for black experts (but some good blacks nearby - skibus service) Offpiste can be limited at Schlossalm, but some other nearby resorts on same pass are good/great in good conditions. Offpiste is bloody fantastic at Bad Hofgastien with 2+ feet of powder :)

For some weird reson there is no snow park in any of the ski amadé skipass area. Plenty of boarders about, but very few kickers or halfpipes or rails laid out :(

Some natural halfpipes are around just on the piste edges and some fun to be had there - but it is crying out for a proper snow park, or to do some maintainance to convert/groom the natural features. For some reason, few boarders here want to get air...

And finally, throw away those poles people - half of you don't know how to use them anyway :rolleyes: - rent blades to get the feel for it and then buy a decent set of skiboards. It's the future! For those of you struggling to get parallel I guarantee you be parallel (and carving) in 2 days tops. I had a german friend of mine visit for one day's skiing, who had not been on skis for 7 years, and had severe upper body position issues - crap skier basically :) - and he was pulling 360s by the end of the day after I insisted that he try blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Lex

Meribel, 3 Valleys, France - 2 wks ago.

Direct Ski package. Flights to Geneva and bus journey to the resort.
    We had our own chalet, fully catered.
    Rep visited us twice and was helpful but we had no probs so didn't need him for anything.

Mixed group (11 of us!). 3 of us boarded. The rest skied (sp?).

As mentioned. On piste was fine everywhere except a few ice patches (man do they hurt!!) and the very end of the runs where it became slushy and crap from high traffic.
    The only fresh snowfalls for the week were at the very top of the mountains but the pistes seemed excellently maintained and managed.

Beginner boarder. never been skiing.

Lots of lively bars in Meribel and all stay open till 2am which was fine when we had to get up at 9am for shcool every day!
    The only club we want to was Dick's Tea bar on the last night. It's hugely over priced with not much to offer!! The pubs are way better value and craic imo.

We had a lift pass for any run in the 3 Valleys. But there are so many runs it seemed like you'd need a month to cover them all! Amazing spot.

I stuck to the pistes but the other two boarders ventured off piste on one of the red runs near Motarett and said the powder was amazing.

Alot of Brittish with a good mix of irish and mainlanders thrown in.

Imo, wrist guards are a must for beginner boarders. I caught so many bad edges they saved me big time!

The fully catered chalet was a huge bonus. We had a 22 yr old english guy named Donut (yup!) who was there for the snow season. He basically got up every morn and cooked us a warm breakfast, went boarding/drinking everyday and returned raound 6pm each eve to cook us a 3 course meal.
    He was a great cook and went onthe p!ss with us a few nights.
    He had one night off. We went to a restaraunt in Merible village and the food was excellent. Large portions and resonable price.
    Excellent spot and and would recommend it to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Livigno, Italy, 2 weeks ago.

Boarded.

Terrific, considering the poor conditions in many other areas around Europe.

Intermediate.

One crap club but one unreal bar! Anyone going, check out Marco's!

It's tax free; functional town rather than purely a tourist spot; slopes weren't packed...in general a lovely place!

As I said, Marco's Bar!

Mostly mainland Europeans. From what I gathered, we were outnumbered by Italians who came from mainland Italy for the season. Met a few Northern Irish guys alright.

I'd definately go to Livigno again, beautiful place. One thing that people might get fed up of (although it didn't bother me so much) is how spaced out some of the slopes are, and the fact that you sometimes have to get a bus from one slope to the next.
    If anyone is going to Livigno, I'd highly recommend the following activities:

1) Skidoos: Tearing around a snow mobile on a bumpy track, it was unreal!

2) Tobogans: This was the cheapest activity available, but probably the most fun! You get so wet but it's so, so worth it.

3) Visit San Moritz: Beautiful (albeit expensive) town, good slopes as well. Twice held the Winter Olympics. It was a great day out.

4) Tea Borch: I didn't do this one myself because it was €40 which I didn't really have spare after paying for all the other activities, but a couple of my friends who went said it was brilliant fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Saalbach, Austria - Jan 27th - Feb 3rd

Skied

The first few days they were ok as it dumped snow on the 27th. Later in the week pistes that were open were closed. Lots of green patches. A lot of pistes not open, but in saying that there is a lot of the resort open. There weren't many people (compared to what I was expecting - and a lot signs for free rooms to be seen) so the pistes weren't that full. Proper Off-piste is virtually impossible

Intermediate

It's Saalbach, they're great. Restaurants all have similar fare. Austrian stuff, steaks, pizzas etc. Same is available on the pistes. Reasonable enough by irish standards. Bars are good. Apres ski is super. Bauers at the bottom is good but there's a place a little up the hill (about 200m from the bottom) that is super. Both of these are by the Kohlmais lifts. Hinterglemm has some good spots too - Goaßstadl is a good laugh.

Late night in Saalbach - depends on age. Don't go to Bauers late on sober. If drunk it's probably good. Turm is ok but older crowd. Bobby's has a younger crowd and Castello seems to be the disco of choice.

The skiresort is huge, the infrastructure is second to none. The apres ski is super. The nightlife is a good laugh and the food is great. Really good for a mixed group as there are pistes for everyone.

Mostly a mixture of Dutch, German, Austrian, English and Irish. Mostly Dutch German and Austrian though (although we avoided the holidays which brings a lot more Austrians)

Hell yeah.

Toboggoning in Hinterglemm is also good. They've built brakes into all the toboggons this year (there's been a few accidents in the last few years)! The course is a tad tricky at the bottom but it's some laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Livigno - last week

Ski

It had a good dump of snow the week before we arrived and it snowed on the night we arrived but that was the last snow we got the whole week. Towards the end of the week it really could have done with a snowfall. Most affected by this were the learner slopes at the botton which became fairly icy especially in the afternoon. Saying that they do really take care of the main slopes up the mountain with snow machines and ploughs keeping them well groomed. Off piste I didn't try.

Intermediate.

The bars and Restaurants are generally good. Galli's Hotel restaurant was superb but book early as it gets packed out fast. Food and service was very good. Prices also reasonable. The pubs were grand. Check out the slide into Miky's and the elevator down to the toilet in Daphne's :) As said before Marco's is a fun pub and Galli's pub is okay (but has a smelly toilet which they openely acknowledge). The only nightclub is a shi*t hole as stated in previous post and i was only in it twice but thank god I was so buckled out of my head i hardly remember either time

There is an organised Mountain Feast night. Do it, it's great fun.

Mostly Italians with a healthy sprinkling of Irish/Brits.

Absolutely no hesitation in going again. It's a cheap place (€5 for big Smirnoff Vodka bottle), skiing is good and lively resort.

Bad points - I flew into Brescia , a nasty 5 and half hour bus journey away. Hotels are functional without being great. But these are minor gripes.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Bad Gastein, Austria, Jan 27th - Feb 3rd.

Skiing only.

Conditions were lovely for the first few days as the resort had only recently got a nice dump of snow. Towards the end of the week though it was getting a somewhat bare in patches and icy in others, but mostly still well skiiable, especially at higher altitudes.

Intermediate, but every year I feel like I am regressing instead of progressing. Go figure.

Restaurants were very so-so. Found a couple of nice places but service tended to be on the slow side. There was one bar in particular that I went to a lot, The Silver Bullet Bar. There was a great covers band that played there twice a day, 4.30-6.30 and 10-12. They were drinking during their performance and the buzz was fantastic around the place. A mad crowded pub hopping at 5 in the evening was slightly surreal though.

The spas are something that I did not visit, but from anyone I know that did said they were brilliant. A 2-3 hour visit cures lots of aches and pains I was told. Beware the naked sauna there though.

I didn't go off track much, although a few of our group went to an underground sauna type place where you need a medical check to go into caves full of radon and mad heat to lie down for an hour. Odd experience but they felt strangely refreshed afterwards.

Largely Irish as I was on the TodayFM ski trip. I beleive apart from the 420 that were officially on it, there were around another 400 Irish in the resort, so it was utterly crazy and loads of late nights. I am sure the resort has a totally different buzz other weeks.

The tobogganing track was great fun, but the run down to the finishing area was the steepest part. Brakes are non existant, so use your feet liberally!!! I am not sure if I would go there again as I like to try different resorts each year. The different ski areas were largely only accessible by bus, though you could ski between some of them. Good point is that the hire shop we used had a storage lift at the bottom of the main Gondola area in Bad Gastein so no carrying skis or boots too far which can only be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

Livgno for a week, just back today

board

snow was a bit thin in parts, the resort could do with another heavy snow fall as it was a bit icey in places and was showing the ground on some slopes

intermediate...ish

reasonably lively, the food and service was excellant i thought. It took a while to get used to the idea that the second course is a lot smaller in Italy than home. A good mix of male and female which helps...

The resort is in a valley between 2 mountains. You should alternate between morning and afternoon to allow for the sunshine at different times of the day on the slopes

Can't think of any

Irish and European, very few Brits which surprised me, i was in Andorra last year and it was like a piece of England

I liked the resort but the transfer was ridiculous, we were with directski who flew to Brescia. 5 hours!!!! I would go again if it didn't involve that transfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Pamporovo in bulgaria, late january 07, when there was "little snow"

skiiiiiii!

first few days were ski-able but not great due to lack of snow. the snow arrived late in the week and the place was great. there's only a handful of runs but if you dont mind that this place is great, and the off-piste once the snow fell was great fun!

beginner-intermed.

bars, great fun and cheap.
    restaurants... bring a packed lunch, food was terrible. i ordered lasagne... i got cheese sauce ham and peas!!

very beginner friendly.

im pretty sure the "masseuse" in the hotel offered "additional services" for a fee... but my sources are unreliable.

eastern europeans and brits.

if i was going again i'd make sure there was plenty of snow, probably book late on. met alot of people over tehre who were back for a 2nd holiday there who said the place is amazing with full snow fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

1. Where and when you went.Last week in Jan Zell am See, Austria
    2. What you did there ski/board/blade.Second time only skiing.
    3. How were the conditions on/off piste.We were very lucky as it snowed just before we arrived and was getting pretty bad off piste when we were leaving.
    4. Are you beginner/intermed/advanced.Beg-ish...can now ski reds without falling.
    5. What were the bars/restaurants like.OKish Ate in hotel as was half board. There are not too many bars but something for everyone from 'local' to 'posh'.
    6. Anything in particular to recommend about this resort.The skiing is great and great variety for a whole week.
    7. Any hidden gems you found nearby.Didnt venture far at all but will give the glacier at Kaprun a go next time.
    8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans.Good mix of both
    9. Any other relevant comments, and whether you would go again.Good skiing and OK social so I enjoyed it and would go again but definately for the skiing over anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

1. Where and when you went

Soldeu Andorra 11th - 18th Feb

Board

Conditions were average due to a poor winter, Soldeu normally has a huge number of runs open (320Km) but this year alot were closed. Still even saying that you still had a lot of choices just using the El Tarter and Soldeu runs. This was my fifth time in Soldau and normally you can do alot of off piste but this year I just didnt risk it, you could see the rocks just below the surface.

intermed/advanced

Bars/Restaurants were average I find Soldeu getting more and more expensive every year though. Main bars are "The Villager" which claims to be Irish or English depending on the night..decent enough food for apres ski. Then you have the T-Bar, Ice Berg and Avalance, the main nightclub is called the Pussycat and it fairly stinks.

My favourite restaurant was Fat Alberts, starter, main + wine is about ~30. very nice though.

Best place to get food on the slope is to do the run all the way down to the gondola and their is a restaurant up the left that does nice pizza and hot wine.

People are lovely, restaurants are nice, lots of runs, they maintain the slopes very well, Bars are decent too. Its a great spot for the begineer to Intermediate can also be very good for off piste in a good year. They also sell Poncho in The Ice Berg pub, great stuff :)

Mostly Irish/Brits

Yes I plan on going back next year again, I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Auffach-Oberau-Niedarau Chained Resort in the Austrian Alps.
    (buses go between resorts every 5-10 minutes - each resort is no more than 3 minutes from each other. Buses are free if you're carrying ski's/Boards)
    Went Early January 2007. (2nd time there)

Snowboarding.

3. How were the conditions on/off piste?
    When we arrived, quite a lack of snow. Picked up during the week nicely - snowfall for ~12 hours midweek thrice.
    Quite a few closed runs - quite ironic since some if these were the nicest in regards powder and non-iciness.

4. Are you beginner/intermediate/advanced?
    Advanced.

5. What were the bars/restaurants like?
    Nice. Local beer was good, food was good. Restaurants were steep but the food stores and markets were cheap.

6. Anything in particular to recommend about this resort?
    If you're an old person you'll love this place; loads of nice scenery, places to go walking, craft shops etc.

7. Any hidden gems you found nearby?
    Super-jump, race-park and board-park in Niedarau, another board-park in Auffach (excellent). Some of the slopes in Auffach were excellent for boarding, very nice soft powder. Some intricate runs between trees/pistes/resorts. Lots of capability for off-pisting. Nice steep slopes with hops/jumps.

8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland?
    Unfortunately majority was Dutch, Germans and Austrians. There were a few British and French. I think we were the only Irish there though lawl.

9. Any other relevant comments, and whether you would go again?
    Queues were quite insane mid-day particularly after lunchtime.
    LOTS of newbs - Oberau in particular.
    Some of the locals were asses.
    But I really liked the Auffach resort and I'd think I'd go again (this was my second time ofc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭mollser

Meribel, Les Allues to be precise on 24th Feb, 12 minute gondola up to the main lifts and town.

Ski

Strange, we ski'd in all snow and weather conditions. Huge snow falls during the week but very mild temperatures meant we started in deep powder and finished in slush. Off Piste was in general closed, as were some high altitude runs

2nd week skiing, became a very comfortable intermediate, reds etc.

Fantastic! Nowhere near as expensive as its made out to be (cheaper than Ireland), sit down lunch can easily be had for less than €10. Beer can be pricey at €6 a pint, however wine is very reasonable and theres no end of happy hours which are great value.

Its not one of the worlds best skiing destinations for nothing, its fantastic.

Rond Point, Rond Point, Rond Point! Apres ski from 4 to 7 is quite possibly the best 3 hours of fun EVER. Burger in the restaurant at the top of the Loze chairlift is truely magnificent as well, as are the views.

Mainly Brits and French, remarkable amount of Aussies there actually!

We did a chalet holiday staying in les allues. Great holidays with brekky and dinner laid on. Make sure to get a locker at the saulire chairlift, this actually made the holiday! Have no fear of staying down the valley slightly (Les Allues, La Raffort) as the transfer up is effortless, and if you're with a good ski company they will taxi you all around anyway. Super holiday, will be booking for next year soon.

Obertauern, Austria, 10th and 11th March

Ski.

Super for both. The drive to Obertauern everything was green and then you go round a corner and start to climb to Obertauern and everything is white. Pistes were super, they did tend to cut up a bit on the sunday when it was very busy. There were quite a few nice large moguls but the resort was crazy busy as it was really sunny and this is by far the resort with the best snow in the area at the moment.

Off piste was also ok. There was a small dump of snow all day saturday but under that was icy. Loads of possibilities for off-piste and most of it is safe as you can see your way out of it. No real knowledge of the area needed for off piste.

Intermediate

On the mountain they were the same as always. The bars were a little more expensive than i'm used to. In the town the nightlife was good but everything was a little pricy compared to the other resorts I know.

The skiing was super - off piste and near-piste too. Given the amount of snow in Austria this year the resort is unreal! So much more snow than anywhere else. Lifts are great as is the case in most Austrian resorts. Runs seemed a little shorter that other places - or maybe i'm just going faster and travelling better than before.

not really.

8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans. Some english voices to be heard but mostly german and austrian.

I found the town very expensive. Accomodation is crazy expensive compared to other places. Drinks are 20-30% more expensive. Food in the village the same. Food on the mountain was ok though.

I'll definitely go again. Probably just as a day trip though unless I win the lotto or rob a bank sometime. It would make for great skiing in early and/or late season as it seems to have it's own climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Pas de la Casa,Andorra,18 - 24 March

Board

On piste,powdery in the morning but faster in the afternoon usually.
    Odd patch of ice.
    Off piste, once the visibility improved for 2 hours each day, was perfect. Plenty of soft powder to carve through.With no visibility wasn't as adventurous, (stayed away from trees etc.),at one stage it was like riding through a cloud, all i could see was white, no ground or sky. ( Only did it cos I knew the run well so knew where I'd hit the piste again)

Inter

Cheap and cheerful, with a rare find. La copa, don't go to la perla negra, no matter how tempting all you can eat ribs is.

Cheap and cheerful.Now is a good time to go as plenty snow falling of late with the least crowded pistes I've ever seen there ( 4 times ).

No

Mostly French and Spanish. Some Brits and fewer Irish.

I'll defo go again. Mainly because it has everything I need, plenty of slopes, some great off piste, and yet again cheap as chips.
    The whole week cost me 800 euro, 400 for a late deal and 400 for food and not much drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Alvoriaz, France 17th - 24th March
    Ski for the whole week
    The best snow conditions I have ever skied in. It started snowing on the Monday and snowed night and day for the week. It made it a bit tiring in the afternoon, as the wind picked up then, but fluffy snow all round. Off piste was a bit limited as they were doing avalanche controlled explosions alot.
    I would be an Intermediate, and have skied in France Italy, Andorra before
    Night life was a bit quiet, but not dead. The French people like the meal and wine, over 2hours or so, and if you were a vegetarian who didn't like cheese you would starve. Beer was €6 for large Stella Atois, and €6 for a vodka + mixer, Food on the Slopes were about €10 for burger + chips & €12 for Omlette or Spaghetti Bolognaise
    We had a pass for the whole area which covered 3 resorts in Switzerland as well, and I have to say that you need longer than a week to get around it all. No ques for chair lifts etc., and there was an abundance of runs, Blue runs were wide and fast, and red runs were scary enough to get the adrenalin running. The Resort itself does not allow any cars into it, basically there is a huge car park that you drive to and then all around the resort is horses with sleighs and people walking around. Very rustic feel to the whole place and it was one of the few resorts that looked the same as the brochure. Ski instructors were the typical French, tell it as it is, take no bull**** and boy do you learn to ski better. The hotel we stayed in was 80 meters walk to the ski school and you could ski straight back to the hotel. It was a 3star hotel and the food in it was brilliant. our room had cooking facilities awell for so you could stay without breakfast and evening meal. The package cost us €1,500 per person for the week, all inclusive Flights Accomodation, ski-school, pass, food etc.,. We flew to Geneva and the transfer was 2hours in total, which was great. Also Geneva is tax free so you could bring back loads of duty free.
    Our Ski instructor on the last day brought us skiing to a different ski area called morriaze, and brought us through jumps and brilliant runs, then we had a picnic of wine and Parma ham which he had in his haversack. It was brillant, the instructors went out of their way to find a class which was good for you. The Ski Classes wre 9.30 a.m. to 12 noon or 2.30 p.m. to 5.00 p.m.
    There were alot of french, and english there, not that many irish.
    I cannot recommend this resort enough. If you could get a group together and hire out a chalet you would be absolutely sorted. Most of the chalets have a sauna or steam room in them, and it would work out a bit cheaper per person. You can check out the resor on the following attachment, and have a look at the virtual tour of the map of the resort on the left hand side. www.avoriaz.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 osulljp

Pas de la Casa, 31/12 to 6/01/07

Ski/blade

No off-piste, only many made (icy) snow.

Intermediate
    Liked La Copa restaurant. La Perna Negla next door was awful. Avoid.

Big ski area, if snow is good. Almost ski to door conditions.

No

Brits/ Irish/ Spanish

Would go again. Stayed at Sandy IV. Cheap & cheerful and not as bad as painted in some reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 osulljp

Garmisch – Partenkirchen, Germany Feb 19th to Feb 28th

Ski

Poor conditions this year. Little off-piste, spring snow conditions.

Intermediate

La Baita Italian restaurant on Zugsptstr is highly recommended. May need to book. Irish bar in Partenkirchen is great.

You can ski the Kandahar, the world cup run. If you time it (like we did) you can be there for the world cup races. Great to see those guys up close.

The ski pass covers 5 resorts. If snow is poor you can head to the Zugspitze glacier, snow is great up there but it is an 80 min train trip. In previous years we skied Lermoos across border in Austria . A nice resort, half an hour on the train.
    Also have a great watersports facility in Garmisch.

German 90%, American 10% (there is a US Army recreation facility there)

Have been there 3 times. Fly Aer lingus to Munich and take a train from airport to the resort (2’20”). Get a “lander” train ticket…it is not mentioned on the English version of bahn.de, but it is much much cheaper for a group. It’s a good value venue. I did a week Feb mid term in 2006 for 7 people for Euro 3,500 (flight, train, SC accom, ski hire, lift pass). This year did 6 for 3,600 as flights were dearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Hemsedal, Norway. February

Ski (twin-tip freestyle skis)

Unbelieveable. Had 2 feet of a powder dump the 2nd night I was there

intermediate to advanced. Can ski anything, but will be pretty ragged looking off piste. Not a huge fan of tree skiing. Have skied off an ice waterfall (~30 foot drop) and skied serious couloirs in my time though.

Hemsedal cafe is reputed to be the best apres ski in europe, but it's Norway, so be prepared to take a financial hit. You'll almost certainly be cooking yourself most of the time.

Pretty much guaranteed good snow this high up and this far north. Excellent off-piste and touring if you're into that. You probably need a guide or local knowledge to access some of the best stuff though.

Some great off-piste runs and an excellent snowpark.

Almost totally Norwegians

Well worth a visit, especially if the weather around Europe starts to look dodgy. It's a bit difficult logistically to get to though, as it's maybe 4 hrs from oslo. There is a bus direct from the airport in Oslo (not the Ryanair airport - you need a car from there!!!). Hemsedal is the best ski spot in Norway by a good distance (much better than Trysil, Lillehammer or any of the others) - if you want to go somewhere different, then this could be for you.

Flachau, Austria - Dec 01, 2007

Skied

Snow was super. I wouldn't chance off piste though. There was enough snow on the piste but not deep enough for off piste.

It's before christmas so there are virtually no tourists and the locals are too busy doing their christmas shopping (everything is closed on Sundays here!). This meant I/we could abuse the snow as much as we liked :D

Intermediate

Things were quiet in the huts. Still it was a daytrip and the focus was on skiing so this is good :)

Nice place for a daytrip - possibly a weekend. A bit small for a week and i've seen it very crowded in the main season. In the off-season though it is super especially for a daytrip.

Mainly Austrians, some germans and some hungarians. As I said though - very quiet and too early for tourists.

It wasn't my first time there so yeah of course i'd go again.
    Hopefully I can hit the snow again next weekend :) and get as much skiing as possible in before the pistes get crowded and I have to slow down :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Niedarau/Oberau/Auffach et al,
    Wildschonau,
    Tirol Valley,
    Austria.
    27/12/07 - 3/1/08

I boarded for the week, and also did a 3 day ski school.

Conditions were somewhat better than last year. Decent snowfall. 2 inchs on the Saturday followed by 15 inches on the Sunday and regular enough snowfall there after. Auffach was very icy from mid station down, which isn't surprising - from top station down it was very meh as well. Niedarau was very nice especially near the summit with decent powder. Oberau was quite good this year too, with the the furthest T-bar actually open this early.

Advanced snowboarder and beginner skier.

I stayed Oberau, where the food and drink was ok priced and good. The Italian restaurant(get a pizza) and the food in the Kellerwirt hotel(get the steak) were amazingly good. Decent bars, the snow'blau(great music) and the starchenthof probably being the best.

New Years Eve here is excellent. There was an absolutely massive fireworks display in Oberau with the mountain lit up and the instructors doing a torchlight descent + loads of beering at the bottom of the slopes + loud music. Great craic.

Tirol Valley is the only place in the whole of Austria that is licensed to produce krautinger an extremely strong schnapps. Everyone there is mental about it.

Germans and Brits mostly

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

St. Anton, Austria - first weekend in January 08

Ski (€79 for a weekend pass)

Good conditions all around, bad visibility with flat light everywhere, but had about 20cm of fresh snow on Saturday night/Sunday that meant it didn't really matter - no need to spot bumps in powder eh?
    Off-piste was great then, plenty of untracked areas with knee-deep powder to play in. Snow park was in bad condition due to fresh snow - slowed down approaches to kickers and made it difficult to spot landings. The rails were all covered in snow as well. It's a pretty small snowpark though, so it wouldn't be a reason for going here.

intermed-advanced I guess

Standard ski places - plenty of decent cheap restaurants around with Austrian food if you head a bit away from the main lift area.

Off-piste - lots of "ski-routes" marked that are ungroomed but can be done without any hiking etc..

If the snow is good, ski through the snowpark and instead of getting on the drag lift at the end, keep going. Nice off-piste descent to a 2-man chair lift. (I'll try to put a photo in the photos thread)

Big mix - very popular place to ski (although it was very uncrowded and we never really had to queue for a lift)

The better a skier you are, the more you'll get out of this place. Other places are more suited to beginners and also cheaper, so wait until you can comfortably ski groomed black runs before hitting St. Anton. The off-piste is the best thing about this resort so if you're not able to handle powder and moguls, you won't get to experience the best runs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Les Deux Alpes, France, 5th - 12th January 2008

Board

Mixed bag. Les Duex Alpes is a fairly high resort, so snow is almost guaranteed, but that doesn't always make conditions good. When the days are overcast, the snow can be quite harsh which makes visibility a big problem. Also, on our second last day, there were incredibly violent winds which effectively shut down the gondolas and most chair lifts. However, when the days are clear, conditions are unbelievable. I've actually never seen so much snow in front of me, it was a sea of white in some parts. It snowed very heavily on the last day, so whoever arrived today is gonna have some serious fresh powder!
    So as I said, a bit of a mixed bag; when conditions were good, they were great, but at times visibilty issues became a problem. Very unpredictable place.

Intermediate.

Apres ski was pretty good, bars like Smithy's and the Polar Bear, but you're almost guaranteed to be priced out of a good night out. Seriously, this is the most expensive place I've ever been to. You're talking €6 a pint - my friend was charged €8.50 for a pint bottle of Bulmers. Shop around in the supermarkets for drink, then go out for one or two depending on your budget.

A trip to the glacier is a must! On the main gondola you have to go past the half way point and up to the top, it's a bit of a pain, but when you get there it's worth it. We went there twice; the first time conditions were harsh enough, it was a cloudy day and snowed like hell. We couldn't see much, but the snow was incredible. The second time we had the best of both worlds, it was a sunny day and there was still fresh powder up there. It is almost always snowing up there, even if there is no snow in the village. The snow park is also great; it really caters for both beginners and advanced. If you don't fancy the advanced area (which is cut off from the rest) then there is a great little begginers/intermediate park with kickers, rails, a big air, where I spent most of my time.

There is a boarder cross run near the park which is excellent. Didn't know about it until we were up there, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Mostly English.

Tough one, not sure if I would go again because it was so expensive, but we did have a great week.
    Oh, but just one thing - if you are going, avoid Residence Du Soleil. The place is a kip, and it's almost as high up as the freakin' glacier which means a walk of 300+ steps every night if you go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭oclugg

Zell am See, Jan 08

Ski

Superb.

Intermediate.

Pretty good if you can manage to avoid the cliche Irish who thing getting drunk is a cultural badge of honour.

The town is small, ideal for groups. Slopes are excellent and the lifts are easy to manage.

A local health club that offer use of pool, sauna, jacuzzi for 14 euros a day, 10am-10pm no time limit.

Austrians.

Going again next month thanks to some cheap midweek ryanair flights!!

Schladming, Austria - Dec 18th-20th, 2008

Skied

Snow was pretty bad. Last big snowfall was early december! Weather was really warm, something like +6 in the valley! Off-piste up top was icy and well worn so not a good idea. Towards the bottom there wouldn't have been enough snow.

Intermediate

Messy. That was our own fault though :D;)

There's a great bar/disco at the bottom of the planai. 1500 people 3 floors and seems to be free in (but not the night of the race next week).

Nearish to where I live.

Mainly Austrians, quite a few germans, some dutch, some english and some eastern europeans.

It wasn't my first time there so yeah of course i'd go again.
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Imposter wrote: »
    Schladming, Austria - Dec 18th-20th, 2008

[/QUOTE]

AAAHHHhhhh TIME TRAVELLER!!! Can you tell me what conditions will be like in oberstdorf in 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

Cervinia 13th-20th January 08

Board

Excellent on piste all week. Wasnt "off" much but it was deep!

Hmmmm - linking turns on a red? Late Beginner-Early Int I suppose.

Excellent restaurants in the village. Good few bars but they were quiet enough. Some nice places on the mountain (Chalet Etoile) Avoid the main mountain station "Plan Maison".

Snow reliability. Lots of nice easy blue and red runs.
    The view from the top of Monte Rossa (~3500m) on a clear day is stunning.

Not "hidden" - but Red run 29 was a fantastic run and mostly empty due I think to the slow old 2seater lift.
    Food wise the steaks in Lucas "Jour et Nuit" were amazing.

Hardly any Irish. A few brits. Seemed to be mostly Italians on the slopes.

Definitely would go again. Great conditions, friendly locals, shortish transfer from Turin (~2 hours by bus), good snow reliablity, access to Zermatt. On the down side its slightly more expensive than some Italian resorts,quite a few flats spots which was a pain on the snowboard (Although by end of week was starting to get the hang of them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

17-22nd January 2008
    Alagna/Gressoney, Monta Rosa, Italy
    Stayed here at 2,800m for €50 each half board:eek:
    http://www.rifugioguglielmina.com/en/firsthome

Board

excellent snow, 120cm at bottom, 200cm at top
    metre of fresh the day before we arrived, off piste was literally untouched, Italians dont like going off-piste, nobody can see them.

Advanced

Its not st.Anton or anything close, you go to ski. Very inexpensive on the restaurant front, on mountain restaurants are like €5 for a bowl of pasta, €10 for three course meal with wine

1600m vertical, the place is empty, tons of off-piste, no tours, very quick lifts and cable cars

There's actually a published book available for €23 with all the off piste runs in the area. Anything off the Col d'olen is epic.

All Italians

Check out the rifugio, its the most amazing place I've ever stayed and its so so cheap, you need to negotiate a black run though to get to it or walk for like 15 minutes. This place is a gem, any powder hounds should try getting here. Its definitely NOT snowsure though, make sure there is plenty of snow before you go.

Advertisement