Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping I'm not breaking the board rules here

• 14-04-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

:)

OK, here goes.

I'm researching my family history, mostly online, and have gone down the usual channels - the LDS family search records, census, Griffiths etc etc. I really think I've reached the end of the line on this, as I've managed to go back as far as the early 1800's, which is pretty good going, I reckon.

I'm delighted, in fact, as I started with almost no information other than a location through 'oral tradition' and the paternal info on g-grandfather's wedding cert in England in 1880.

Thing is, on g-grandfather's line I can only definitively prove 'my' line, if you know what I mean - yet I know he had 4 possibly 5 brothers. I've found potentials on the 1901/1911 census, but am not really sure...

So, is it really worth going through the phone book and finding Lavins ;) in the Carrick on Shannon area to see if there is anyone left who may be my relation? I feel so close with the info I've got, yet am still no further on, if you see what I mean..

I hope someone can help with advice or whatever. (I only found this forum yesterday and I'm really enjoying reading it, by the way.)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hi & Welcome,

If you feel strongly about this, there's no reason not to contact potentials by letter (definitely not by phone). Something along the lines of:

Dear X,

My name is Y and I believe our great-grandparents were brothers. Give the details you have and your contact details.

Yours sincerely, etc

If they are interested, they'll get in touch. Most people do, in my experience: I've done it 3 or 4 times.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I had thought of that myself but never did it. I might now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Yes, I agree with Pinky. I've had good success with letters to similarly named people also.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 thadiisgirl

Thanks for the advice - though it feels a bit odd - no more so than ringing up strangers I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Lucyspell

I presume you have come across the website 'rootschat.com', but if not I would recommend it highly. There are very helpful people on there, and lists of resources available in the area you are researching.
    Good luck with it!
    Lucy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭chasm

You could always try writing a letter to the local paper, the leitrim observer, and getting it printed on the letters page. Parts of Roscommon come under the Carrick-on-Shannon district too, so you could possibly try the Roscommon Herald too.

Advertisement