Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Addle wrote: »
    Missing aldi hummus too. Can’t but it anywhere!
    Does anyone know if aldi sell tahini (so I can make my own)?

No they don’t. Not sure if they’re still stocking it but I’ve got some in Tesco previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The garlic, chilli and salt chicken wings in the fresh section are one of my favorite things
    Wife loves the frozen flatbread pizza too.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

Loads of hummus in Clonmel Aldi today.
    I'd forgotten about the fish burgers till I saw the post about them but they haven't been in Clonmel in months. And I loved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I see Aldi have chicken meatballs on special. Spotted this recipe in today's SBP if you wanted to make your own .....

1183-CB1-D-6-C7-A-4-B91-9721-217-E98075100.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Spotted these in my local Aldi this afternoon, I was very impressed with them. 20 mins in the airfryer, they came out brilliant.

Skin on chips, they're chunkier than the other skin on fries, and more rustic (I think is the word in looking for here :D) I think I prefer these tbh.

Sorry I didn't take any photos of them cooked, but they were the perfect accompaniment to their rib steak burger that I had with them.

IMG-20210117-192721.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Muahahaha wrote: »

One thing I havent seen for about 3 months now in Aldi is their jars of jalapeno peppers. They have been gone so long I was wondering if their shelf location changed so I asked a staff member and they just said they are out of stock, he didnt know if they have been discontinued. Had to get them from Dunnes instead where they were more than twice the price.

Here's a tip for you. Spar sell jalapenos under their own brand very cheaply. I always buy half a dozen jars when I see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

McMurphy wrote: »
    Spotted these in my local Aldi this afternoon, I was very impressed with them. 20 mins in the airfryer, they came out brilliant.

Skin on chips, they're chunkier than the other skin on fries, and more rustic (I think is the word in looking for here :D) I think I prefer these tbh.

Sorry I didn't take any photos of them cooked, but they were the perfect accompaniment to their rib steak burger that I had with them.

IMG-20210117-192721.jpg

i see slim well on the bag,would the be suitable for a person on a diet or is that just the brand name slim well?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

IMG-20210117-192721.jpg

Must try these.

Love the other smaller ones with the skin.

Airfrier all the way:)

bassy wrote: »
    i see slim well on the bag,would the be suitable for a person on a diet or is that just the brand name slim well?.

I think they're aimed at someone on a diet, but I'm not entirely sure.

I think they're aimed at someone on a diet, but I'm not entirely sure.

no real way of finding out,no ?.

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »
    no real way of finding out,no ?.

I think the fact they're named "slim well" and have a "low in saturated fat" message printed on the packaging is a fairly good indicator that they probably are tbh.

I think the fact they're named "slim well" and have a "low in saturated fat" message printed on the packaging is a fairly good indicator that they probably are tbh.

thanks MCmurph

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I searched for them and some of the Slimwell range appear on this blog (not the chips)
    https://fatgirlskinny.net/aldi-slimming-world-shopping-list/
    They seem to be the rebranded Slimfree range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

rob316 wrote: »
    The garlic, chilli and salt chicken wings in the fresh section are one of my favorite things
    Wife loves the frozen flatbread pizza too.

are the chicken wings there long? ive never seen them!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Aldi items missing this morning...

Brown rice
    Various pouches of microwave rice
    Red lentils (plenty of green)
    Fresh ginger
    Mozzarella (buffalo available)
    Normal cream cheese
    Parmesan
    Hummus
    Feta
    Rubber washing up gloves
    Sponges

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Here's a tip for you. Spar sell jalapenos under their own brand very cheaply. I always buy half a dozen jars when I see them.

cheers, Id never have thought to check Spar for jalapeno peppers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Muahahaha wrote: »
    cheers, Id never have thought to check Spar for jalapeno peppers!

Asian shops usually have them for around a euro a jar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

The crispy duck breast with pancakes and hoisin sauce is a great product. Lovely with cucumber and coriander.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Probably one people are familiar with and don't mean to get negative on this thread - but I got the vanilla ice cream this week and my god I have tasted ice with better flavour.

Is there anything you could do with it to make it worth eating? I never waste food but genuinely considering cutting my loses on this one and binning it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Milkshake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Maybe add some vanilla essence and see if that improves it? Would probably chuck it myself though

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Probably one people are familiar with and don't mean to get negative on this thread - but I got the vanilla ice cream this week and my god I have tasted ice with better flavour.

Is there anything you could do with it to make it worth eating? I never waste food but genuinely considering cutting my loses on this one and binning it.

What did it look like so I know to avoid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Bin it. Unhealthy in general and full of additives as all cheap ice cream is. It's one thing to eat unhealthy if it tastes good, but why force yourself to consume this?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Maybe drizzle chocolate/caramel/salted caramel sauce over it, add chopped up Maltesers/flakes/candied nuts/fudge pieces etc.
    I only buy expensive ice cream like Häagen Dasz or B&J's for that reason, the cheap ones are not worth the calories (even some branded ones like the rectangular packs from HB).

Space Dog wrote: »
    Maybe drizzle chocolate/caramel/salted caramel sauce over it, add chopped up Maltesers/flakes/candied nuts/fudge pieces etc.
    I only buy expensive ice cream like Häagen Dasz or B&J's for that reason, the cheap ones are not worth the calories (even some branded ones like the rectangular packs from HB).

Good ideas - thank you. I generally only buy Morellis which is fantastic, but figured I'd give this a whirl as I had just made brownies and I just don't feel I can justify going store to store these days looking for a single item.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

heffo500 wrote: »
    What did it look like so I know to avoid it?
    +1
    Probably one people are familiar with and don't mean to get negative on this thread.
    I want to hear the negatives just as much as positives.

But which one was it?

I have not got much Aldi ice creams, I think only cones. But I did notice lidl and tesco have icecream and there is "regular" stuff, and the next step up is not much more pricewise but is decent quality for the price.

e.g.
    Tesco Vanilla Ice Cream 900Ml
    €1.92(€0.21/100ml)
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=277006351

is way better than this standard one, and just a very small bit more per litre
    Tesco Vanilla 1 Litre Tub
    €1.96(€1.96/l)
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271425774

I think this is due to trying to price match.

I noticed the same in lidl, the "Premium" was not much more than the bog standard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I bought the Aldi vanilla ice cream in the Carte d'Or type tub and it was flavourless. I also tried the caramel one and it was sickly sweet. Their tiny cones and imitation Magnums are nice though.

Sorry for delay (freezer is in the shed at the end of the garden and I'm lazy)- it was the carte d'or type one Dizzyblonde mentions above. Brand is 'Creme dela Creme' and its described - unabashedly - as creamy vanilla flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone know is there an omelette maker in store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone know is there an omelette maker in store?

Yep, had some in the specials aisle in one of their Carlow stores, don't recall the price tho

Advertisement