Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you help me identify these?

• 16-01-2021 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Currently doing quite a bit of renovating in our house we moved into and have stripped back all the walls in the hallway to be re-plastered.

The house was built in the 70's, so I am trying to strip out anything which is not needed.

I am hoping someone can tell me what the below items are.

Image 1 is located in the hallway, above the door into the kitchen.

Image 2 is located immediately behind the object in Image 1, on the kitchen wall.

One of these is presumably the wired bell.. (which we don't use/need), but not sure what the second may be.

Maybe this is really straightforward....

Any help appreciated!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

No 2 is your doorbell.
    No 1 is possibly a ringer extension for the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The second one is a door bell, defo, which you should keep, the wireless stuff is crap.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Thanks, yes, was fairly sure #2 was the door bell.

Number #1 has me baffled, really not sure what it is. It also has space for AA batteries?

The house is wired with an alarm (which I've currently disconnected in multiple spots due to all the work we are doing)...but does this look like part of of a wired alarm system?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Number 2 is an old fashioned ding dong mechanical door chime. Number 1 looks like a more modern electronic door chime to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

As you know you have an alarm system, ask yourself what a speaker may be doing.

That round thing's a speaker.

The bell? Yep. A little bolt, set in that central box, shoots left and right, striking the two long plates. One's tuned to " Ding ". The other to " Dong ". Seriously.

• Advertisement

Stigura wrote: »
    As you know you have an alarm system, ask yourself what a speaker may be doing.

That round thing's a speaker.
    It looks to me that there's a bit too much electronics in there for it to be a simple alarm siren though, plus I don't think I've ever seen one with space for AA batteries. Alarm systems have their own 12v backup batteries. I still reckon it's an electronic door chime.

Fair point, Alun. Do ye reckon it was one of those things that played, like, half The Blue Danube in electronic buzzes, or what ever?

I'd love to make it work. Just to find out. Suspense would kill me otherwise! :D

Stigura wrote: »
    Fair point, Alun. Do ye reckon it was one of those things that played, like, half The Blue Danube in electronic buzzes, or what ever?

I'd love to make it work. Just to find out. Suspense would kill me otherwise! :D

Yup, when I opened it first I thought, alarm! But those AA battery slots make it look more like another bell. It's located immediately on the other side of the wall as the ding dong bell.

It has power running to it, but can't for the life of me figure out what for.

Sherrif; Come on, this Needs sorting! :D

Have we a Spark in the house? Someone who can decipher those four wires? It would seem passing power through that PCB will send the sound to the speaker. " Name That Tune! " :D

Wonder if shoving a couple of batteries in might do anything? How to complete the circuit would seem to be the key. No?

TheSheriff wrote: »
    It has power running to it, but can't for the life of me figure out what for.

Have you actually measured a voltage across the two wires connected to the PCB?

If not, it could be that the two wires are just contacts for triggering the bell and it needs two batteries to operate. Try disconnecting the two wires from the PCB, popping two AA batteries in and then shorting across the two screw connectors with a short length of wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Do you a pic of the front cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is #1 the keypad/buzzer for the alarm?

I had one like that years ago that would buzz while the alarm was arming/disarming.

the batteries are to stop someone snipping the wire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

It may be an doorbell extension in another room as the primary doorbell wasn't loud enough to hear in the other room.
    Small PCB configured for it to play a tune rather than just ding-dong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭The Mulk

No. 1 looks like those musical bells with the battery back up option alright.

where is the cable going?

If it was a doorbell it wouldn't be using that cable though, thats used for alarm/phones.
    A doorbell would just have L & N.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭The Mulk

GreeBo wrote: »
    If it was a doorbell it wouldn't be using that cable though, thats used for alarm/phones.

In an ideal world you'd be correct.

There's no right or wrong cable to use for some DIY'ers

Doorbells usually use a white/white-black solid core cable. I've seen alarm cable, speaker cable and Cat 5 used before

It's stepped down to 8-12 v

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

GreeBo wrote: »

They only used 2 of the 4 cores of the cable so they do only have live and neutral. They probably just used whatever cable they had available.

aido79 wrote: »
    They only used 2 of the 4 cores of the cable so they do only have live and neutral.

ah yeah I know that, but I'd find it strange that someone other than an installer would have this cable just lying around, but wouldnt have had some 1.5m2 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Could it be for a wireless door bell? Looks similar to the image below which also has a compartment for batteries. The one in OP may have option to be wired.

DSC_1150-1024x694.jpg

I also dont see how batteries would help a non wireless door bell, those 2 AA are not going to push much current through that length of wire...

• Advertisement

OP, stick two batteries in and hook them up and see what you get!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭chooseusername

70's doorbell /intercom

Hi All,

OP here, thanks to all who responded to this post.

We had a plaster coming the other day, so I decided to chase the wire a bit into the plasterboard, as I figured I'd never get a shot to do it again.

Anyway posters here were correct, this was indeed another door bell. Inside the plaster I found it connected to some sort of wire splitter, with the other "split" wire going into the main "ding dong" doorbell in the kitchen.

Its been ripped out now and I have some lovely new plaster over it, like it was never there.

Thanks for all the help!

Advertisement