Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shower leaking, concrete tray: any thoughts on fixing it in situ

• 16-01-2021 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭

Have a leak in the shower so taking out the kitchen ceiling under its later today to see whats what: seems it has been leaking for a while from what I saw with a cheapo inspection camera that I shoved through a hole last night so need to have a good look and replace a good piece of the slab that looks very mouldy.
    Just wondering, there are some cracks in the concrete tray so wonder are there any fixes: fibre glass, epoxy etc that folks have used.

The leak may be from around the tiles, not certain but if its the tray really don't want to have to rip it out.:(

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If the tray is cracked, get rid of it immediately. You will cost yourself alot more money stress and pain in the long run by doing short term fixes on it.

I'd plan on taking the bottom row of tiles out and the tray too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

listermint wrote: »
    If the tray is cracked, get rid of it immediately. You will cost yourself alot more money stress and pain in the long run by doing short term fixes on it.

I'd plan on taking the bottom row of tiles out and the tray too.

Thanks as always!

In normal times I would agree but not really in the humour for all that now: new shower enclosure etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I had the exact same situation last year I fixed it up or so I thought then another leak developed.
    Listermint is right don't mess with this. Replace it.Especially if it's an upstairs shower.

Thanks as always!

In normal times I would agree but no really in the humour for all that now: new shower enclosure etc..

It's that or new kitchen ceiling and possibly electrical problems. Don't play with water it's never worth it.

I had to pull half a better square of tiles off from rear of shower as it was leaking for 8 months. A UK olive on Irish pipe behind the thermostatic shower valve dripping that long. Had not noticed until damp appeared on room wall next to it. Luckily bungalow with concrete floors. But still . Good bit of work . Reboard section and retile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Might be a silly one but did you try an isolate the leak
    Waste
    Tray
    Tile / tray junction
    Shower door
    Shower unit
    Shower head
    Might narrow it down for you
    Any pics?

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.
    Its not the tray, it's the tiles, beading, in the corner?

I have most of the mouldy pb down and I can see where the water comes down so once I got that sorted I jumped up on my bike and went for a spin, too fine a day for working indoors!

Will start on the tiles tomorrow with my trusty multitool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thanks guys.
    Its not the tray, it's the tiles, beading, in the corner?

I have most of the mouldy pb down and I can see where the water comes down so once I got that sorted I jumped up on my bike and went for a spin, too fine a day for working indoors!

Will start on the tiles tomorrow with my trusty multitool.

Sorry to hear Cal.

Can I ask what multi tool you use?

karlitob wrote: »
    Sorry to hear Cal.

Can I ask what multi tool you use?

For this type of job a multi tool is invaluable with a tile head.

I've owned a Ryobi cordless it was rubbish died very quickly. Replaced. Second died quickly too.

Bought the DeWalt cordless. It just goes and goes and goes Excellent unit.

I bought the Fein corded one 240V when they first emerged from the automotive trade maybe 10 years ago

An earlier version of this
    https://www.raygrahams.com/products/141858-fein-fmt250qsl-multitalent-multi-tool-starlock-quickstart.aspx?pv=63543&currency=eur&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3Y-ABhCnARIsAKYDH7uCrLXu7HHuOwKaySChsYNjezNK46X_88geLDr0JWZ8cxc11CUNcscaAvo4EALw_wcB

I know, ouch, when you see the cost, however it has been so useful, a recent use, cutting a strip off a T&G faced door to a press that was sticking at the bottom with the little semi-circular saw blade.
    Its great for cutting out pb for switches and sockets etc
    When I would be in the US, I loaded up with blades

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I noticed the seal was gone on a pvc window sill in our bathroom. I pulled it off and it was mouldy. Replaced it with tiles which looks way better. Did the side of the recess where the window is because that was getting wet from showers too.

It took ages though for a few reasons. It takes time to dry, and it was easier to wait until one part was set in place and cut the next section to fit. Also I had to restart twice. First I was tiling on top of plaster which turned out to be crumbly and eater-damaged. Then I realised it sloped slightly towards the window. I changed it so it slopes slightly away from the window and was glad I did it. I also ran a dehumidifier for a couple of days before starting until the walls underneath were dry.

It was kinda horrible not being able to wash. So I suppose get everyone to wash before you start unless you have a second shower or bath.

• Advertisement

grassylawn wrote: »

It was kinda horrible not being able to wash. So I suppose get everyone to wash before you start unless you have a sexobd shower or bath.

Thanks GL.
    PLEASE tell us more about the sexobd shower or bath?
    Is it a lockdown invention?:D

Advertisement