Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steiner education

• 31-05-2008 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I am hoping to receive feedback on Steiner education as a choice of 'primary' education for my children. I have read about it, spoken to the teacher, spoken to some parents. None of these people are necessarily independent enough to offer a totally critical evaluation. In many respects I like the idea that my child won't be forcefed a strictly academic approach, however some of the theories seem a little wooly to me. Fairy stories, myths and legends seem to feature strongly- these are great and I loved them as a child but they seem to take a very central role and I wonder if this is right? I am told that after a steiner primary they should have no trouble fitting into a mainstream secondary but is this other peoples experience? My OH is worried that somehow a Steiner education will not give the child a strong enough sense of ambition and that it might create a lovely hippie child but one with no drive etc! Hope to get some responses please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I have only heard of it in passing, but on the Peranting forum they may have some more into. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

don't know an awful lot about Steiner education but can only comment on what a secondary principal once told me about it. They are generally lovely children BUT they are not prepared for secondary school. She thought if they were to continue in life in the Steiner ethos then fine, but if moving to more traditional secondary/college education, it can be a difficult adjustment where almost everything is results orientated. Check out Rollercoaster.ie on the education or primary school boards for some threads on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

One of my work colleagues is resigning and moving to be near one, hence the question
    Is this an American conservative/creationist based right wing method of education where they can teach what they like as they don't take any state funding or am I mistaken?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

I taught two kids who went to the one in Wicklow a a few years back. They came to me for maths as their mum was concerned they weren't covering enough in school. They were in their final years in primary, couldn't subtract properly, didn't know their multiplication tables and hence couldn't do division.

I chatted to them over the course of the few months they attended my class and they told me they didn't do maths at school. They could chose what they worked on and they were all in the same class with multiple teachers. I asked how often they chose to do maths and they said never.

If they were say doing cooking the maths part would be working out the recipe which is not covering the syllabus in my opinion.

They loved school though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Culty. A lovely idea, that fails in practice. Steiner teachers are trained as Steiner teachers, but not necessarily as teachers. You may get lucky and find a naturally gifted and able teacher, who covers everything necessary, and sticks with the group for years. On the other hand, you may find yourself, as alluded to above, having to fill in lots of gaps. It’s a homeschooling analogue for parents unwilling or unable to homeschool. Steiner also has an input into medicine in Germany. See what you think...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/10/ginger-root-and-meteorite-dust-the-steiner-covid-cures-offered-in-germany

• Advertisement
Advertisement