Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Period Nick Name

• 15-01-2021 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

I was looking up re-usable sanitary pads and I read there are over 5000 nicknames for periods. What yours? Mine is TOM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭LilacNails

I'm Terrible Tom around again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

"Things"

I don't know whether I picked this up from my mom or from one of the girls at primary school but I have always said that I have got my things.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

I was looking up re-usable sanitary pads and I read there are over 5000 nicknames for periods. What yours? Mine is TOM

Shark week if I'm joking :pac: or just call it what it is - my period. Don't give it a nickname really, it's natural and doesn't need nicknames to hide behind or feed the shame surrounding it.

Also, if you are in the market for reusables I adore the ones from Annie Poo - Baba&Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

It's shark week or the Japanese have invaded :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lucalux

Never had any nicknames for them myself, just call them periods, but I remember in school a lot of girls called them their 'yokes'. Anyone else hear that one?!

Always thought it was funny, like they were heading off to a rave or something :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

The Red menace, the Russians have invaded, the Japanese flag, surfing the crimson wave, crimson tide, the red wedding and riding the cotton pony. Can't say I'd ever have much call to use any of these descriptive terms unfortunately, easier to just say period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

lucalux wrote: »
    Never had any nicknames for them myself, just call them periods, but I remember in school a lot of girls called them their 'yokes'. Anyone else hear that one?!

Always thought it was funny, like they were heading off to a rave or something :p

Yeah, in school girls referred to them as their yokes or their flowers. I also remember girls saying they were "on the blob" or "on their rags". Pure mank! I just say my period but have heard some older women call it their monthlies, which is cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lucalux

Yeah, in school girls referred to them as their yokes or their flowers. I also remember girls saying they were "on the blob" or "on their rags". Pure mank! I just say my period but have heard some older women call it their monthlies, which is cute.

This is it, I always thought some of the terms used to describe were waayyyy worse than 'periods'!

I like monthlies, makes sense.

An older one again is your 'courses' or 'monthly courses'.

A hippy friend of mine used to call them her 'moonlies' which I did like tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I just use the word period, tbh. Don’t see a need for any euphemisms or other terms.

A woman at work refers to them as her “things”, which I think is strange. And I remember a girl at school talking about ‘the curse’... that was the term and attitude she had before ever starting her periods, which struck me as a horribly negative attitude for her mother to pass on to her- she assumed that normal life would be suspended for days and that she’d be in utter agony- she took that as a given.

Mostly just a period but sometimes I say I'm having a tired day, since I feel wrecked for two days before to two or three days in. I think I grew out of the dramatic euphemisms - or I'm too tired to remember them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I don't beat around the bush. I just say I'm on my period. Or maybe that it's "that time of the month".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Maybe like in Bridgerton where a lady has her "courses".

And one thing I don't get is why a woman would be "on" her period. Would she not "have " it? Make more sense?

Gushing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Going back many decades.. "the curse" was in vogue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'd just say I have my period but I do find some of the euphemisms very entertaining like the painters are in or shark week or the commies have invaded, etc. I think I said to OH once that it was shark week to see his reaction...he didn't get it and I had to explain what I meant - waste of time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MadameHussein

I have always enjoyed "Munster are playing at home".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭seenitall

Being dealt the Ace of Diamonds.♦️

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

woodchuck wrote: »
    I don't beat around the bush. I just say I'm on my period. Or maybe that it's "that time of the month".

I just say 'i'm bleeding from my crotch.'

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I suppose it depends who I'm talking to.

For medical discussions it's Cycle Day 1-5.
    In conversation with my husband, if he's heading that direction, it's "Scheduled Maintenance".
    For my children, I call it period or monthly bleeding.
    With my buddies, it's "The Blob"

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The bloody cousins or bloody friends are visiting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

My uterus is redecorating

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Aunt Flo is in town

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

And one thing I don't get is why a woman would be "on" her period. Would she not "have " it? Make more sense?

I never got this either, it mildly irritates me. Also, the term "I'm due on."
    Excuse me, but what are you due on for??

To thine own self be true

Advertisement