Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DNA match question - Anyone able to work this out?

• 27-09-2019 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

There's a dna match to my dad of 10.7% (759.4‎ cM) on his father's side.

Dad also has another match on his father's side of 14.3% (1,015.9‎ cM).

This second match, also matches to the first person, but on their mother's side at 4.5% (335.4 cm)

I'm confused as to the relationships going on. Would appreciate someone else's opinion.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Looking at the shared centimorgan chart, the first match is likely to be a 1st cousin.

The second person is also likely a first cousin (the range is quite high).
    If it weren't opposite sides, I'd think they were first cousins once removed of each other though.
    Could there be double first cousins or 2 separate connections at play?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I think Person "A" is a grand niece from information I've been able to garner.

Person "B" is probably his 1st cousin as they are within 5 years of age, (person A is approx 30 years younger than him).

The issue is Person B is matching to Person A Maternally, while they're both matching paternally to dad.

I'm not familiar with "double first cousins" or "2 separate connections at play".

EDIT: Just googled double 1st cousins & it's not likely as B only matches maternally to A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Another one

Person A matches with me at 3.6% (258.2‎ cM) - 1st cousin once removed, while Person A's sister (Person C) is 2.8% (195.5‎ cM) - 1st cousin twice removed.

They share 38.22% (2851 cM)

What's going on with them??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Don't take what the matching site is telling you for granted - there's a range of possible relationships for most cM.

Also, people can be the same generation and be wildly different ages. Take for example a family that had say 12 children over 20 years. The gap between the eldest grandchild and youngest could be as much as 30 years but they'd be first cousins.

However, your second post example is almost certainly 2 siblings, so they'd be the same relationship to your Person A.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement