Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz & Blues teachers

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

looking for an experienced jazz piano teacher.

live in lucan in west dublin but will travel for a lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 marc benham

http://www.myspace.com/marcbenham77

PM me with your detail email or phone number if interrested in learning blues.
    jazz rock fusion,rock blues ect...
    can explain modal improvisation,have developed my own method of teaching other the years called audio visualution!
    no complex and comfusing theory imvolved.
    just the minimum you need to know to expand your musical horizon :D
    Can acco in my place in Tallaght or come to your place with proper gear to teach.

ps:the songs available on myspace page are my own compo and don't reflect
    totally all style mentioned above as the imspiration for that album was classic rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

http://www.myspace.com/marcbenham77

PM me with your detail email or phone number if interrested in learning blues.
    jazz rock fusion,rock blues ect...
    can explain modal improvisation,have developed my own method of teaching other the years called audio visualution!
    no complex and comfusing theory imvolved.
    just the minimum you need to know to expand your musical horizon :D
    Can acco in my place in Tallaght or come to your place with proper gear to teach.

ps:the songs available on myspace page are my own compo and don't reflect
    totally all style mentioned above as the imspiration for that album was classic rock.

It may be useful to mention which instrument you give lessons in, you had my hopes up there for a minute thinking it was piano!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carolenelson

Hi
    I teach saxophone, piano and voice in Dublin City Centre and in Carlow/Kilkenny.
    I have taught for many years (including teaching sax at Newpark Music Centre) and have mentored many young performers and songwriters.

I teach all levels, all styles - from complete beginners to advanced jazz theory and improv, and adapt lessons to suit each students best learning style.

for more info and recommendations from students go to:
    www.carolenelsonmusic.com

carole nelson

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

Freelance jazz guitarist, with over 20 years performing experience, based at Waltons New School, Dublin, offers tuition on jazz soloing, accompaniment, theory, ear training.

The approach focuses on relaxation techniques aimed at developing improvisation skills while minimizing muscle tension during performance.

A free introductory class is offered, each class lasting approximately 1 hour.
    Only 6 slots are available, so please write only if you are serious about learning jazz guitar.

Visit: http://myspace.com/franamico for more information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jeshooah

Don't know if anyone can help me here.. I'm a fairly proficient guitarist and I've been a long time interested in Balkan music, Klezmer and Gypsy Jazz especially. I Live in the Wesht and I cany find a teacher who can set me on the gypsy path! Does anyone know a teacher either in and around Westport (or Mayo in general) or someone close to Dundalk? ( I'll be movin up there in September to study music in Dundalk IT)

To be honest I'm so in love with this music that i'll probably go anywhere on the east or west coast to find someone who is able to help my dig my own gypsy roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ollbyrne

1 hr One to One Saxophone lessons available.

-Learn improv and sight reading.
    -Improve tone and technique.
    -Problem Solving.
    -All ages welcome.

Experienced musician with big band, jazz, funk, blues and rock experience in Ireland and Scotland. BA Mus in Saxophone.

Limited places available.

Ollie

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I'm a jazz piano player based in the north but down in Dublin fairly regularly. If anyone wants a few jazz piano lessons, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 musician101

hey sax teacher here lots of experience playing and teaching:) at present go to peoples homes.approx one hour lessons:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brunnerboy

I'd be interested in getting some lessons for blues piano. Mature student grade 4 piano and 5 in theory level. Swords area,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

I'm interested in getting lessons for gypsy guitar. Preferably South Dublin or Co. Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Halex

Hi I'm a bass guitar teacher living in Waterford city. I recently got a 1.1 in my jazz bass performance degree. If anyone is interested in getting lessons give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 16 davedrum

Hi , I'm wondering does anyone know of a saxophone teacher in or around Meath . I need lessons for my 11 yr. old son . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pavthefiddler

I am now offering private, one-to-one lessons worldwide via Skype. You can now study from the comfort of your own home. Skype lessons are a new, great way to learn jazz online.

*** First lesson free, no obligation. ***

I am a long-time student of a New York piano legend Dave Frank, himself a prominent student of Lennie Tristano. Lennie was the first of the great jazz masters to develop a system of teaching improvisation. I use the same approach with great success teaching students around the world.

To enquire about the Skype lessons please leave a message here or visit my website (the address is in my boards.ie profile).

All the best,
    Pawel Grudzien

~~~

"Within every human being lies a flow of music, as endless as the oceans and as individual as a fingerprint." (Dave Frank, pianist & teacher, New York)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

jeshooah wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone can help me here.. I'm a fairly proficient guitarist and I've been a long time interested in Balkan music, Klezmer and Gypsy Jazz especially. I Live in the Wesht and I cany find a teacher who can set me on the gypsy path! Does anyone know a teacher either in and around Westport (or Mayo in general) or someone close to Dundalk? ( I'll be movin up there in September to study music in Dundalk IT)

To be honest I'm so in love with this music that i'll probably go anywhere on the east or west coast to find someone who is able to help my dig my own gypsy roots.

Hey, i unfortunately dont know any gypsy jazz guitarists...but i could probably help you find one....im actually learning gypsy jazz violin if you want to form a stefane and django style duo with me? im at an intermediate level looking to become professional but i cant find a any gypsy jazz musicians, everyone wants to play just regular jazz....so if you want to jam, pm me!

p.s. i live in galway if you think you can make it that far to jam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Anyone Know where i can get JAZZ PIANO lessons in GALWAY????

i already play classical, and have a solid understanding of music and the piano, but i need someone to help me improve understanding specifically jazz rhythms and how to become proficient at them...thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 17 juniorwells

Hi, i know a guy in ballinasloe, hes a great teacher . Pm me and i,ll pass on his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ollbyrne

1 hr One to One Saxophone lessons available.

-Learn improv and sight reading.
    -Improve tone and technique.
    -Problem Solving.
    -All ages welcome.

Experienced musician with big band, jazz, funk, blues and rock experience in Ireland and Scotland. BA Mus in Saxophone.

Limited places available.

Ollie

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DecjKav

hey sax teacher here lots of experience playing and teaching:) at present go to peoples homes.approx one hour lessons:)

Hi, Where do you give the lessons and how much are they?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cley

Hey all,

Looking for private lessons for an adult with no musical background, always wanted to learn it, just curious is there anyone around limerick for this, I tried music4you but that doesnt seem to be working anymore.

Thanks

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭52paddy

Hi all,

I would like to start learning jazz in the new year on either tenor banjo, mandolin or guitar.

I am a high-standard Irish traditional musician playing these three instruments (mainly banjo) and have a decent knowledge of music theory. I sing a little bit and have some old vaudeville and country numbers in my repertoire but absolutely nothing in a jazz style as I'm not a jazz musician. I'm based in Dublin 8 but willing to travel for the right teacher.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 17 marko27out

Hello Paddy52 (and everyone else interested). I'm not sure if you found someone already, but I recently moved to Dublin from NYC where I made a living playing mostly early jazz (20s, 30s, 40s). I do give lessons so please contact me if you are still interested. I focus on the two aspects of guitar playing, being part of the rhythm section and being a lead instrument. Best and Happy Playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 isaactabor

Im looking for a jazz guitar teacher in or around Cork city. Ive been playing guitar for 10+ years and play some basic jazz but would like to learn in more detail.

Any info of jazz guitar teachers in or around Cork city would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Drakesha

Well, allow me to pimp myself....
    I teach Jazz, Blues and Hot Club (Gypsy Swing) violin in MobileMusicClasses Academy.(can't post link, Google is your friend)
    Also, Google 'Hot Club of Dublin' to get an idea of how good (bad) we are.

Forgot to mention, our teachers go to students houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Looking for a piano teacher in the D4 /Blackrock area for a 10 year old. He is probably around grade 6 but hates playing classical music so we were hoping a change in style might suit him.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Drakesha

Hi Silverharp!
    I teach piano, and Jazz/Blues piano in particular.. I'd be happy to meet your son and see what might suit him, but I suspect if he hates classical music, it could be projected to any style of music, and probably the instrument as well.
    Were you considering the change of instrument? Guitar maybe?
    Playing piano in any style requires a lot of exercises, scales and so on, which could be a bit boring for 10 years old, unless he really wants to do it.

In any case, as I said, I'd be more than happy to meet you and your son for a quick chat and evaluation. If you decide to go ahead, the classes are there. :-)

If you PM, I'll send you my mobile, and we can talk.

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Hi

Looking for a saxophone teacher around the limerick or nenagh areas. I am trying to teach myself but I feel like I am only going to pick up bad habits. I can be flexible on day and time etc and willing to travel.

Any suggestions would be more then welcome!

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JanuSunn

Hi,

I've noticed there have been no posts on this in a while- am new in town and looking for lessons in and around the Dublin City area..recommendations..? Many thanks :) J.S

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Hello - looking for saxophone lessons in Dublin 7.

Anyone know anyone?

Thank you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement