Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log homes in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanigamadan

I am utterly astounded by the post from "hardly work'n".

I work for GoodWood Solutions and am familiar with every project that they have completed and my initial reaction to this post was that it was simply a case of mistaken identity because it is so far removed from the very positive experiences of our customers.

But then I remembered a customer that stood out as being so difficult to deal with that experience had been exorcised. The post here bears scant resemblance to our records but it could only be from the same customer. This was in 2002 and we still have all the documentation and emails on file. These could be posted here to give the other side of the story but this is not the forum for a detailed defence our company against untruths from an individual. Most importantly, this customer did not buy the log kit from GoodWood Solutions but got it from another supplier who no longer wanted to deal with this customer and instead asked us to erect the kit.

There are honest, balanced and independent reports on our work in publications like "Build Your Own House and Home" magazine (both 2004 and 2008 editions) and in last month's issue of "House and Home" magazine. We have received many very positive written post-project reports from customers and I am posting one here (edited only to remove individual names) to indicate a typical experience:

"I would just like to say a big "Thank You" to GoodWood Solutions for helping us achieve our dream. Our custom built log home is just amazing, we have been inundated with complements on our new home, from passers-by, tradesmen, estate agents and engineers as well as locals who just want to get inside for a peek!

What I really appreciate was the honest and straight-forward approach that GoodWood Solutions followed. As you know, we are not in the building trade by profession and sometimes we needed both you and ****** to explain things to us in plain English, this you both did.

The level of communication was always on par with the quality of service - excellent throughout the entire project from the design stage even through to this day.

I must say that a number of episodes really stick out as achievements, and here is a brief summary of that I believe were the highlights:
    * The beautiful aroma of the logs when the kit was delivered on site.
    * Getting the keys to our house only after 21 days of construction began
    * Watching the construction team - the expertise shown was an example of true craftsmanship.
    * Being encouraged to participate - I even got up on the scaffolding and spent a happy hour treating the logs.
    * Completion date - I honestly could not believe my eyes when I entered the house and saw the beautiful floors, perfect coving and skirting. We were just flabbergasted by the detail that went into finishing the interior.

We are delighted that we made the right decision to follow our dream, and thanks to GoodWood Solutions our dream is now a reality.
    H.N."

In conclusion, I would ask the Moderator to consider the dafamatory nature of the original post to which this refers and to bear in mind the Forum's Charter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I will review this thread and revert back when actions are decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

In conclusion, I would ask the Moderator to consider the dafamatory nature of the original post to which this refers and to bear in mind the Forum's Charter.

you are free to counter the post.
    If you feel that anything is not accurate within the post, it is up to you to sort it out.
    The mods are not here to enforce your good name, but to ensure the forum runs smoothly.
    but this is not the forum for a detailed defence our company against untruths from an individual.

on the contrary, it is exactly the forum for it. in fact, if a customer said that about my company, id be the first on line to defend the truth. if you are unwilling to put your side forward, then you will find that people will start to believe that there may be some truth in it.

but that is up to you. this is only helpful advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hardly work'n

For number one our house was not built in or purchased in 2002. The company in Finland that we purchased our first house from we also purchased our second house from directly. We did not go thru a company in Ireland becouse the mark up on the houses are so much.

And yes, my experience in working with goodwood solutions was not good!
    I was very careful not to name, names of particular people I had dealt with. Or any employees just the general feeling of what my experience with the company was. I could have gone into a lot more detail. I do not think that every company can have happy customers and good advertising is to use only those that are happy.

But an honest question was put up on the forumn and I gave an honest answer to the question. Has anyone used the company and what was your feelings and how did you get on.

I love log cabins and have loved the two log cabins I have lived in. I would recommend to anyone wanting one, to research the company's they choose to work with. I went as far as to go to Finland for a week and look at factorys and different house before I chose the company! And when my second house was built it took 4 months to be turn key perfect with a mastercraftsman, his apprentice and a labourer. And I could not be happier. It was a wonderful exprience. My house was cared for like it was there own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hardly work'n

ddunleav wrote: »
    hardly work'n,
    you seem to be in the know about these types of homes, do you have any other advice about them? (other than to stay clear of goodwood solutions!!) really interested in building one, they look great.

RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH!

Houses that come from Finland, the timber is grown in a much colder climate so that the rings are much closer together giving you a stonger log. Also, look at the width of the timber. Many companys provide many different widths. Rounded or square logs. But basic constrution is the same. Some house have the cladding on the outside and the logs on the inside. Where others have the logs on the outside and the wood cladding on the inside. I think it is a matter of taste.

Some companys have everything pre-drilled or you can decide on site where the fittings go. You have to figure out what is best for you.

Best peice of advice is make sure the house comes from Finland, and that it comes from a managed forest.

Best of luck if you do build one you will love it!!!!

If you use I think it's google.fn will try and find out. You will get Finland Google and you can look at the 100's of companys in Finland. Narrow your search down and use it as an excuse for a summer holiday to Finland and visit all the different company's and see the houses. It is well worth the trip and you will learn so much about the houses and there constrution. Some of these companys have been family run for generations. The choices are just amazing and the way they insulate is unreal. We have been in the current house for several years and have a boiler that was filled when we moved in and has yet to be filled again!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I would recommend both posters concerned contact each other to discuss this issue as it seems that are 100% convinced there viewpoint is correct. In the meantime the thread is being locked. No further discussion of Goodwood Solutions (good or bad) will be allowed in this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement