Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,570 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone verify that was Conor? Looks like him, but could easily be an imposter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

So he sparred one of his gob****e friends and still looked like he's never been in a competitive boxing match in his life.

I hope for his sake that wasn't actually him.

There's poor and there's that.

It was a charity event, what do you expect him coming out like Ali?
    walshb wrote: »
    Anyone verify that was Conor? Looks like him, but could easily be an imposter!

It was him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Saw a longer video of that match. Its amazing that Conor would put himself in that kind of position...loads of people recording and the guy clearly wanted nothing more than to knock him out and make the newspapers lol. Conors defense looked good but not much offense, was kind of like a matador vs a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭xtal191

spix wrote: »
    Saw a longer video of that match. Its amazing that Conor would put himself in that kind of position...loads of people recording and the guy clearly wanted nothing more than to knock him out and make the newspapers lol. Conors defense looked good but not much offense, was kind of like a matador vs a bull.

Do you have a link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

It was a 4 round bout to raise money for charity. People are actually having a go at him for raising money for charity lmfao. Sad individuals. Not referring to you with that btw but the others in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So he sparred one of his gob****e friends and still looked like he's never been in a competitive boxing match in his life.

Ah, it was fairly sloppy alright. Although there did seem to be a bit of decent movement in him (apart from the few lunges forward and falling in a bit). But his throwing was messy as fu*k.

He should be fit though. If they had a few months with him to train him intensively, he might win a fight or two in the Leinster Intermediates. If he got a decent draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

MMA fighter in charity boxing match looks sloppy, shocker.

It's not a charity boxing match. It's an annual show that they run every year.
    He got in for a few rounds with his Yank padded headguard. I didn't think they were allowed here for competition. Maybe because they put it down as an exhibition. Probably officially a spar.

That said, if it was senior level, would have expected headgear anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ah, it was fairly sloppy alright. Although there did seem to be a bit of decent movement in him (apart from the few lunges forward and falling in a bit). But his throwing was messy as fu*k.

What were you expecting, his last boxing bout was against Mayweather, he's a 2 weight UFC champ with one of the best striking in the business, did you really think he'd go in against an amateur boxer and take his head off?? :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's not a charity boxing match. It's an annual show that they run every year.
    He got in for a few rounds with his Yank padded headguard. I didn't think they were allowed here for competition. Maybe because they put it down as an exhibition. Probably officially a spar.

That said, if it was senior level, would have expected headgear anyway!
    It's a fundraiser for the boxing club.
    Certainly just an exhibition bout, not an official amateur boxing event. The reason for that kind of headgear is better protection against cuts. which should be a bigger concern for a pro fighter imo.

scudzilla wrote: »
    What were you expecting, his last boxing bout was against Mayweather, he's a 2 weight UFC champ with one of the best striking in the business, did you really think he'd go in against an amateur boxer and take his head off?? :pac::pac:

Best "striking" maybe in the sense of going on strike and not defending the belts. :pac:

He was supposed to have boxed a bit when he was younger. One might have expected him to be a bit more composed. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He should be fit though. If they had a few months with him to train him intensively, he might win a fight or two in the Leinster Intermediates. If he got a decent draw.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiw8uTbctyqtpqPaMYp-o3pzTTkil1WXffGqGgfO2k-3F16rdo

MrStuffins wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiw8uTbctyqtpqPaMYp-o3pzTTkil1WXffGqGgfO2k-3F16rdo

What's your own record there Rambo?

:pac:

Or your qualifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

What's your own record there Rambo?

:pac:

Mine was 7 times in one day, but i was 16 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Best "striking" maybe in the sense of going on strike and not defending the belts. :pac:

He was supposed to have boxed a bit when he was younger. One might have expected him to be a bit more composed. That's all.

So you think something went wrong in his preparation? Maybe he needed a longer camp for this fundraiser bounce around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I didn't bother watching the footage but I can only assume (perhaps incorrectly, who knows) that McGregor was hardly out to knock his opponents block off given the specific circumstances? Seems like a real non-issue for discussion. It was just a bit of light hearted craic a million miles away from serious competitiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What a tool. I hope he comes back and gets sparked again.

The Fail though - "Till, who last fought in May against Jorge Masvidal"

Boss Logic finally getting the recognition he deserved, this is massive. Mad how the ufc haven't hired him yet.

https://twitter.com/Bosslogic/status/1120424916539650048?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The Nal wrote: »
    What a tool. I hope he comes back and gets sparked again.

The Fail though - "Till, who last fought in May against Jorge Masvidal"

That hook blasted Till into last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

John Kavanagh liked this tweet. Tin foil hat time

https://twitter.com/JelcicLuka/status/1121349128317960192?s=19

Why tin foil hat? John was well looked after by Conor from my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Ush1 wrote: »
    Why tin foil hat? John was well looked after by Conor from my understanding.
    Maybe things changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Maybe things changed?

Maybe he is just liking it in support?

I'd say TJ wished he was a boxer rather than an mma fighter, Jarrell Miller only got a 6 month ban for filing three different tests, one for epo. That's mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

USADA are about to send a swat team to Costas house.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw_kyFBBLlV

• Advertisement

Christ, looks like the bleedin' hulk!

Advertisement