Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC on FX 8: Belfort vs. Rockhold

• 14-05-2013 10:35am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Main card - ESPN (02:00)

Middleweight: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
    Middleweight: Ronaldo Souza vs. Chris Camozzi
    Lightweight: Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Evan Dunham
    Middleweight: Rafael Natal vs. Joao Zeferino

Prelims - UFC.tv (23:00)

Featherweight: Hacran Dias vs. Nik Lentz
    Lightweight: Francisco Trinaldo vs. Mike Rio
    Lightweight: Gleison Tibau vs. John Cholish
    Welterweight: Paulo Thiago vs. Michel Prazeres
    Bantamweight: Yuri Alcantara vs. Iliarde Santos
    Light Heavyweight: Fabio Maldonado vs. Roger Hollett

Prelims - Facebook (21:30)

Flyweight: John Lineker vs. Azamat Gashimov
    Flyweight: Jussier Formiga vs. Chris Cariaso
    Lightweight: Lucas Martins vs. Jeremy Larsen

To watch the Facebook prelims just go to the Facebook page of the UFC and like it. Then you can watch for free.

There will be an alternative link on YouTube.

To watch the UFC.tv prelims go to UFC.tv
    (simples)

To watch the main card you need ESPN - (streams will be available somewhere. Don't ask and don't post).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Really not sure what way Belfort v Rockhold will go. Rockhold is solid but i'm not 100% sold on him just yet.

Belfort is a tricky customer. Is he still one of the best int he world? I dunno. But e's only lost 2 times in the past 6 years and they were to the 2 best fighters on the planet and possibly two of the best ever.

I reckon this is where Belfort kicks on from. He either become a gate-keeper or a contender after this fight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Really not sure what way Belfort v Rockhold will go. Rockhold is solid but i'm not 100% sold on him just yet.

Belfort is a tricky customer. Is he still one of the best int he world? I dunno. But e's only lost 2 times in the past 6 years and they were to the 2 best fighters on the planet and possibly two of the best ever.

I reckon this is where Belfort kicks on from. He either become a gate-keeper or a contender after this fight.

Couldn't agree more with this.

This is (IMO) a make or break fight for him. If he loses this then he's a long way off a title and at his age, he could possibly contemplate retirement.

Looking forward to Maldonado. That guy has one of the biggest hearts I've ever seen. Teixeira put an unreal beating on him and he just wouldn't stop. This is probably his last fight if he loses so I can see him putting on a good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I really hope belfort and his TRTrain are derailed

adamski8 wrote: »
    I really hope belfort and his TRTrain are derailed

37759603.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

belfort - andy 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I think Belfort has already turned into a gatekeeper of sorts. I don't think he can ever make another credible title run.
    I see this fight as more of a tester for Rockhold than Belfort.

It's kind of a nothing fight for Belfort. If he wins, I don't think it puts him back in title contention. Either way, I think he remains a gatekeeper.

Rockhold is coming over as Strikeforce champ and needs to make a good impression. He needs to beat a credible opponent and Belfort is the perfect scalp for him to take. If Rockhold beats Belfort impressively, then it could catapult him into a title shot.

I can see this being a decision for Rockhold. Vitor still has ko power, and I wouldn't count him out, but I'm leaning towards Rockhold in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Can someone name me a top 10 opponent belfort has ever beaten asides from Bisping?

Franklin was a gatekeeper outside the top 10 when they fought and the win over couture in 2004 was by default from a cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

monkey8 wrote: »
    Can someone name me a top 10 opponent belfort has ever beaten asides from Bisping?

Franklin was a gatekeeper outside the top 10 when they fought and the win over couture in 2004 was by default from a cut.

I'd say Lindland was still considered a top 10 MW at the time. Disagree about Franklin too, he was still active and only lost to Henderson and Silva, which most people do, he was still top 10 imo.

I suppose a lot of it is nostalgia, he's been around a heck of a long time and fought a lot of top guys. I'd still like to see someone like Machida beat the crap out of him, or Henderson or Shogun.

el dude wrote: »
    I'd say Lindland was still considered a top 10 MW at the time. Disagree about Franklin too, he was still active and only lost to Henderson and Silva, which most people do, he was still top 10 imo.

I suppose a lot of it is nostalgia, he's been around a heck of a long time and fought a lot of top guys. I'd still like to see someone like Machida beat the crap out of him, or Henderson or Shogun.

Lindland was 38 and certainly not top 10 at the time they fought.
    But I do agree that a lot of it is nostalgia which IMO is a ridiculous reason for him to get title shots and be so overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Could the same question not be asked of Rockhold? So a good matchup in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Lindland was 38 and certainly not top 10 at the time they fought.
    But I do agree that a lot of it is nostalgia which IMO is a ridiculous reason for him to get title shots and be so overrated.

Matt Lindland would've been considered by many Top 10 at the time he beat him. Up until that point he (Lindland) had lost 2 fights in 5-6 years, Rampage and Fedor!

The problem with the MW division and title shots for the likes of Vitor is the fact that Silva has beaten everyone! Weidmann is next. Should he beat him then who is left? Isn't Bispng realistically the only guy out there who Silva hasn't smashed to a pulp? And he doesn't deserve a title shot via any other criteria in my opinion.

Matt Lindland would've been considered by many Top 10 at the time he beat him. Up until that point he (Lindland) had lost 2 fights in 5-6 years, Rampage and Fedor!

The problem with the MW division and title shots for the likes of Vitor is the fact that Silva has beaten everyone! Weidmann is next. Should he beat him then who is left? Isn't Bispng realistically the only guy out there who Silva hasn't smashed to a pulp? And he doesn't deserve a title shot via any other criteria in my opinion.

This is sherdog's top 10 middleweight rankings for 2009 when they fought.

1. Anderson Silva (24-4)

2. Yushin Okami (23-4)

3. Nate Marquardt (28-8-2)

4. Robbie Lawler (16-4, 1 NC)

5. Dan Henderson (24-7)

6. Demian Maia (10-0)

7 Jorge Santiago

8. Thales Leites (14-2)

9. Vitor Belfort (18-8)

10. Chael Sonnen (23-10-1)

Lindland was a decent fighter in his day with great Greco but he was very one dimensional and not top 10 at the time in anyone's rankings I could find.

My point is that there is no other fighter out there who so many people rate so highly who only holds one top 10 win.
    Even if you were right and lindland scraped into the number 10 spot back then, that hardly makes much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

p to the e wrote: »
    Could the same question not be asked of Rockhold? So a good matchup in my opinion.

that is true
    rockhold hasn't beaten anybody with the exception of souza
    I don't how good rockhold is but i'd be with belfort on this one
    he did beat franklin in his prime to be fair and has finished all
    his fights since 2007 apart from silva and jones
    throughout his career though he has only been beaten by the best out there
    I don't put rockhold in the same league as some of these

My point is that there is no other fighter out there who so many people rate so highly who only holds one top 10 win.

Alaistair Overeem

Alaistair Overeem

His last two fights before loss to silva was wins over two top 5 guys!
    Besides he hasn't been in the ufc quite as long as belfort in order to get more top 10 wins.

No cos rockhold isn't rated as highly as belfort and is not being handed undeserved title shots based on his performances in 1997!

Werdum, yeah. But the Brock win is debatable. Even if Brock was a solid Top 5 guy at the time, was he really fighting an athlete at the top of his game? He had just come back from his 2nd bout with Diverticulitis.

I might be wrong here, but isn't he the only top athlete to have EVER come back to compete at the top level after havng the condition and the corrective surgery? I think he's the only one to have come back after having it twice.

Anyway, I understand where you're coming from. But MW is a shallow division. There's nobody else to challenge other than Bisping as I said. I don't necessarily agree with Belfort's case for a rematch either. He got KTFO'd, it's not as if it was a close decision.

But MW will open up once SIlva moves up to LHW. I think he'll move up whether he wins or loses v Weidmann.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

No cos rockhold isn't rated as highly as belfort and is not being handed undeserved title shots based on his performances in 1997!

finishing franklin the way he did probably got him the shot but
    he was probably the most credible opponent for silva at the time given silva
    wiped out the division

I wouldn't say undeserved. He beat Franklin when Ace was still a top 10 MW. The Jones one was simply good timing. Most importantly is you have to remember that Belfort is a big money draw for the UFC no matter if you think he's decent or not. He represents something of the old guard in UFC which people like to link back to.

I think Rockhold is simply too clever of a fighter for Belfort and could match him in the grappling. Belfort's chance is to rely on his striking game. If Rockhold keeps his distance and doesn't engage in a striking battle then he'll wait for Belfort to gas and finish him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I think/feel Belfort is going to take this one heroically. Old lion syndrome I think. He's still got finishing power and speed in the first half of the fight and he knows this so he'll force Luke into a fighty fight pretty much straight off the bat.

Rockhold can either play it 'smart' and stand off, use reach and kicks and footwork (Bisping Style) and let Belfort swing bombs til he's gassed (BAD IDEA! IMO)
    orrr
    he'll try and make a name for himself in his first UFC fight and go straight into battle and try and knock out the knocker outer which would launch him up the respect ladder right into contention land in a way that moving around for 2 rounds and then picking a tired Belfort apart in the third to a decision will not. Dana only likey KO's and Subs - don't expect a welcome basket if your first fight is fence hugging and footwork.

Belfort brawls violently and takes us back a good 15 years !
    I hope anyway ; )

• Advertisement

into a fighty fight
    into contention land
    Dana only likey
    a welcome basket

Come on dude, it's not the toddler forum!!

mailburner wrote: »
    throughout his career though he has only been beaten by the best out there

Isn't that the definition of a journey-man. Good against average fighters but 10 times he has come up against elite fighters and 10 times he has lost.

I agree with Mr Stuffin in that the depth of the middleweight division is part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Can't help but think the middleweight division would be incredibly open if not for the dominance of Silva. IMO Both these guys needs at least 2 more wins before a title shot. But Belfort leapfrogged Hendo the last time he caught Anderson so he's obviously a huge draw. If he knocks out Rockhold and one other he must be in line for a title shot. Was excited for the first fight with Anderson but it was over before it began.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tank Abbot ;)

You have to feel sorry for newcomer Michel Prazeres getting his octagon debut against Paulo Thiago.

Another one sided fight should be Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza against Chris Camozzi but fair dues to Camozzi stepping up on short notice for an injured Costa Phillipou.

Nik Lentz is going to continue to do big things at FW. I would have thought that this fight would have been better to be on the main card but then remembered that the card is in Brazil and a Rafael Natal victory is more likely in his bout.

Evan Dunham vs. Rafael Dos Anjos for FOTN.

Nik Lentz is going to continue to do big things at FW. I would have thought that this fight would have been better to be on the main card but then remembered that the card is in Brazil and a Rafael Natal victory is more likely in his bout.

Also, it's a Nick Lentz fight. Which, should he be the better fighter in it, has a high likelihood to be a lay & pray fest.

Also, Thiago needs this win. Should he lose, I predict he'll get his walking papers.

Advertisement