Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

McGregor v Parke

• 11-04-2013 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Quite obvious Conor is upset by norms comments/actions

Let's see who's brave now

Would love to see this as it would put an end to the crap between 'em but there's only one winner here ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

What comments or upsets?!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,000 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Quite obvious Conor is upset by norms comments/actions

Really?
    If anything its quite obvious that Conor doesn't care who he fights next. There's nobody in particular in either division that he wants wants to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

This is just ridiculous!

I know what to do.. lets get the only two Irish fighters in the organisation to square off against each other. Lets put the brakes on one of two Irish MMA fighters careers in the UFC.

Dont think its a question about being "brave." Both these guys are in the big leagues now and lets face it are the guys flying the flag for Irish MMA. They will have enough up and coming fighters looking to scalp them and send them home without fighting each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Mellor wrote: »
    Really?
    If anything its quite obvious that Conor doesn't care who he fights next. There's nobody in particular in either division that he wants wants to fight.

In fairness, Conor did say he wanted Parke.

I wouldn't like to see it, not yet at least. Let them worry about their own divisions first.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,000 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jayo_M wrote: »
    In fairness, Conor did say he wanted Parke.

Yeah, he said he'd like the fight, but I didn't think he was going to actively push it. That said, he didn't think it would happen for a while if at all, I'd be inclined to agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 gary s

Norman isn't flying the flag for irish MMA he's flying the flag for english MMA so i don't see the problem in them fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Doesn't matter if Parke is fighting under the British flag. They're both from this island and the UFC will want to keep them apart for as long as they can. The fight doesn't make much sense.
    Anyway, as much as I like Parke as a fighter, I think McGregor would eat him alive.

He's from Bushmills in Northern Ireland. Fights out of a well respected Irish MMA gym and has been fighting on the Irish MMA scene for many years.

Label it whatever way you want mate but if you ask anyone from a different country, I.e USA, Canada, brazil, were Norman parke is from they will say Ireland. Not Northern Ireland. The rest of the world don't give a sh*t about Irish/ northern Irish/ British politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Look at how much irish support gunni has just by being here with sbg. We should be backing irish fighters not making them rivals

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Jaysus lads, some sad reading in here. He represents English MMA? his actions have annoyed McGregor? We wait forever for an Irish UFC fighter and now we have two, some people are going to try and derail it. I don't get some people, I'm sure Parke sees himself as Northern IRISH first and foremost, why would anyone have a problem with that!? Wise up, support the two men to the max and enjoy having them in the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

McGregor was asked ny Ariel Helwani who he would like, McGregor said he wouldn't mind a fight with Parke. McGregor said he fights under and Irish flag and considers himself Irish, and Parke under a british flag,

How are people trying to derail anything? This is what McGregor said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

The MMA forum has gone bananas over the last week or two but this thread is the lowest of the low.

gimmick wrote: »
    McGregor was asked ny Ariel Helwani who he would like, McGregor said he wouldn't mind a fight with Parke. McGregor said he fights under and Irish flag and considers himself Irish, and Parke under a british flag,

Thats a shame.

I havent seen this interview so wont take this as gospel until i read it myself but if its true then to be honest I have lost a fair bit of respect for him. To me that irish/ british rubbish should be left out of sport and its a bad example to set for kids. There's enough hatred in this place without potential role models spouting this crap.

Que the bashing for saying anything bad about Conor mcgregor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Thats a shame.

I havent seen this interview so wont take this as gospel until i read it myself but if its true then to be honest I have lost a fair bit of respect for him. To me that irish/ british rubbish should be left out of sport and its a bad example to set for kids. There's enough hatred in this place without potential role models spouting this crap.

What McGregor basically said is that Parke fights under the UK flag, fought for team UK on TUF and sees himself as British. He said it's unfair to Parke to keep claiming him as Irish, because the Irish don't like it when the Brits do it to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

He said it in another interview as well, think it was Gareth Davies on the ESPN podcast. Said it would be great to fight Parke in Boston I think and that people on the Irish MMA scene always wondered who was the better fighter.

Thats a shame.

Agree with this. It didn't sit well with me when he said it, it was verging on politics and IMO it shouldn't come into it. Que the bashing here too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The more I think of it the more I think this fight if it happens should not happen at a UFC event on the island of Ireland. The north / south politics doesn't come into play in MMA and I think the very vast majority of people don't want it either. If the fight happened on the island of Ireland then there will be sectarian arguments and fights in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

connor was interviewed this week on the espn podcast and he said it would be a good fight and he's not really saying anything bad about norman at all only he thinks he'd beat him if they fought

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/video_audio/201727.html?genre=61;sport=12

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Who cares if they're both from the same country, should that stop them fighting? They'd have fought in Ireland or the UK if their paths had gone a little different and they may end up fighting in the UFC someday. It's a fight sport, so I don't get why everyone is so offended at the possibility that two professional fighters who are from the same land mass, but not the same country, and who share no personal relationship might fight, whether it be sooner or later.

I don't think the problem is that they fight but rather the reasoning behind why they should fight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

when did norman parke get signed to the ufc? has he fought yet?

_oveless_ wrote: »
    when did norman parke get signed to the ufc? has he fought yet?

He won TUF the smashes a couple of months ago, where he beat Colin Fletcher in the final. He fights John Tuck next week in San Diego.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

gary s wrote: »
    Norman isn't flying the flag for irish MMA he's flying the flag for english MMA so i don't see the problem in them fighting
    gimmick wrote: »

What McGregor basically said is that Parke fights under the UK flag, fought for team UK on TUF and sees himself as British. He said it's unfair to Parke to keep claiming him as Irish, because the Irish don't like it when the Brits do it to us.

A 1000 times this ^^^^^^^^^

I only quoted what McGregor said in his interview with Ariel Helwani and to be quite honest i know why Conor is so upset and anyone who watched smashes will know what i'm on about

p to the e wrote: »
    The MMA forum has gone bananas over the last week or two but this thread is the lowest of the low.

Why's that then ? I'd be very interested in your take on things

A 1000 times this ^^^^^^^^^

I only quoted what McGregor said in his interview with Ariel Helwani and to be quite honest i know why Conor is so upset and anyone who watched smashes will know what i'm on about

I watched The Smashes and don't have a clue what your talking about. Maybe tell us what you/Conor (if he us upset at all cos I don't even think he is) are so upset about to back up what your saying.

Why's that then ? I'd be very interested in your take on things

You announce that Conor McGregor is upset and blah blah without referencing any article or video source whatsoever.

And even though several weeks ago everyone was proud to have a man from Ireland fighting in the UFC in Norman Parke, because there's now a man from Dublin fighting there, Norman is just not good enough for some people anymore.

Most importantly, their match up is only a possibility (as they're at different fight weights) and a far way away at this point so to make a thread about it is pointless and may be nothing more than a platform for people with other agendas.

p to the e wrote: »
    You announce that Conor McGregor is upset and blah blah without referencing any article or video source whatsoever.

And even though several weeks ago everyone was proud to have a man from Ireland fighting in the UFC in Norman Parke, because there's now a man from Dublin fighting there, Norman is just not good enough for some people anymore.

Most importantly, their match up is only a possibility (as they're at different fight weights) and a far way away at this point so to make a thread about it is pointless and may be nothing more than a platform for people with other agendas.

I cant quote it because when i did i got pulled up by admin on here. That however doesn't change the fact that it was said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Why shouldn't the two Irish guys promote a match with each other? Whatever about the flags and allegiances and ****, at the end of the day if they build enough hype for a fight, even if it is well down the road, they are both looking at a serious payday in the bag. I doubt there is much genuine disrespect for each other, but they could make this work very well for both of them with a little tweeting. And given that Parke would be like a pig in **** to ride this McGregor wave, I think he's actually doing the guy a favour.

I could be horribly wrong as well.

Either way, I'd wait till after the fight to see what they really think of each other.

Why shouldn't the two Irish guys promote a match with each other? Whatever about the flags and allegiances and ****, at the end of the day if they build enough hype for a fight, even if it is well down the road, they are both looking at a serious payday in the bag. I doubt there is much genuine disrespect for each other, but they could make this work very well for both of them with a little tweeting. And given that Parke would be like a pig in **** to ride this McGregor wave, I think he's actually doing the guy a favour.

I could be horribly wrong as well.

Either way, I'd wait till after the fight to see what they really think of each other.

You're not wrong but it's not hate just McG not liking the cards Norm's playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Ah, I don't think it was hate. At worst it was disrespect. And I don't think it was that either.

Advertisement