Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ken vs Frank Shamrock signed for April 2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

frank is/was 1 of my favourite fighters, ken is washed up though, would of been good 5-6 years.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Frank should beat him that is unless he starts acting the maggot like he did in his fight with chung le. Had his hands down tried to stand with him.

Hes a good fighter but sometimes he s his own worst enemy, you could say the same about ken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cage Rage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Seems a bit of a mis-match at this stage. Dont see Ken having a chance but in this sport you never know.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

ryoishin wrote: »
    Frank should beat him that is unless he starts acting the maggot like he did in his fight with chung le. Had his hands down tried to stand with him.

Frank was on top and looking good to finish it before he broke his arm. What he said would happen was coming true, although he obviously wasn't expecting a broken arm. He could have just tried taking it to the ground, but then it probably would have been boring. That's not what Frank's about these days

I'd be anticipating the interviews leading up the fight more than the fight itself :pac: Frank was brilliant at the start of the last EliteXC show. "What is he doing going so hard?! He's disappointing the Shamrock name and putting our legacy in jeopardy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Shamrock by kneebar rd 2. I wont say which one :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

What are the chances they'll get the Diaz boys to fight each other on this card and call the show "Family Feuds" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

just a pay day for Ken IMO... after watching him take a fall against Dave Berry (I think) in Cage Rage, he's just after the cheques now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Fozzy wrote: »
    He could have just tried taking it to the ground, but then it probably would have been boring.

Apparently his knees are so damaged, he doesnt even have an ACL any more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

What are the chances they'll get the Diaz boys to fight each other on this card and call the show "Family Feuds" :D

EXC tell you thats too much like wrestling, boxing or another similar excuse to turn down a profitable idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Well with Nate on a UFC contract that fight is not happening. I doubt the Diaz brothers would fight each anyways.

It makes no sense to fight someone that your regularly train and spar with. One of you has to leave the camp for the fight, that would suck.

As for the Kenny vs Franky fight, i can honestly say i have minor interest in it.

It's not competitive in any way.

Dragan wrote: »
    Well with Nate on a UFC contract that fight is not happening. I doubt the Diaz brothers would fight each anyways.

It makes no sense to fight someone that your regularly train and spar with. One of you has to leave the camp for the fight, that would suck.

As for the Kenny vs Franky fight, i can honestly say i have minor interest in it.

It's not competitive in any way.

I can see Ken using his extra 20-25lbs and smothering Frank for 15 minutes.

I can see Ken using his extra 20-25lbs and smothering Frank for 15 minutes.

He won't be able to. Frank , as bad as his knees are, can still stay very, very active on his back and will have better cardio than Ken. If Ken wants to sit in Franks guard to 15 minutes then Ken is inviting himself to lose via Triangle in my opinion. He leans in WAY too much when he is throwing for GnP.

I honestly don't think Ken can shoot anymore, nor do i think that Frank can shoot or spraw the best. I see 7 minutes of Frank picking him apart on the feet, maybe some clinch work, going to ground if they fall down and then Ken losing to a TKO.

ken will stand because in his mind he;s an elite striker. Remember on TUF "I'm not very good at jiu jitsu...I'm a leg lock guy and I like to bang".

It will go down on the feet and Frank is better technically, with a better chin and he's quicker. Frank to win for sure IMO.

Dragan wrote: »
    He won't be able to. Frank , as bad as his knees are, can still stay very, very active on his back and will have better cardio than Ken. If Ken wants to sit in Franks guard to 15 minutes then Ken is inviting himself to lose via Triangle in my opinion. He leans in WAY too much when he is throwing for GnP.

I honestly don't think Ken can shoot anymore, nor do i think that Frank can shoot or spraw the best. I see 7 minutes of Frank picking him apart on the feet, maybe some clinch work, going to ground if they fall down and then Ken losing to a TKO.

Renzo Gracie was winning the fight against Frank before Frank's accidental knees to Renzo's neck got him disqualified. If Renzo can pin Frank for about 8 or 9 minutes I am sure Ken can. I agree with Frank being a bit better on the feet but Ken will have a reach advantage that if used correctly will nullify Frank. I see this fight as 65-35 to Ken, Frank is too small to beat Ken IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Renzo Gracie was winning the fight against Frank before Frank's accidental knees to Renzo's neck got him disqualified. If Renzo can pin Frank for about 8 or 9 minutes I am sure Ken can. I agree with Frank being a bit better on the feet but Ken will have a reach advantage that if used correctly will nullify Frank. I see this fight as 65-35 to Ken, Frank is too small to beat Ken IMO.

Do you not see any difference in the stamina/conditioning of Renzo and Ken?

What does Frank weigh when he steps into the cage? About 195-200lbs? Ken weighed in for a heavyweight fight barely above the limit, at 206.5lbs, a couple of weeks ago. Would the weight really play that much of a factor?

Fozzy wrote: »
    Do you not see any difference in the stamina/conditioning of Renzo and Ken?

What does Frank weigh when he steps into the cage? About 195-200lbs? Ken weighed in for a heavyweight fight barely above the limit, at 206.5lbs, a couple of weeks ago. Would the weight really play that much of a factor?

Everyone thinks Frank will win. I'll put my head on the block and say Ken will definitely win. When he does I'll slag everyone here who doubted Ken, if he loses I'll take what you give me slagging wise:). This is fun, a bit of MMA banter, did'nt get it as much on the old thread in the SD&MA forum.

I'll say it, Ken by leg submission rd2

Frank by KO in round 2...seconds after signalling it by doing the sleep motion...just like Baroni!!

renzo is light years ahead of Ken in his ground positioning and control. Renzo would give ANYONE at 185 a hard time on the mat. Ken doesnt have the same expertise. He's very good, but so id Frank.

For me Ken isn't a particularly good striker. He's tough and he'll get in and duke it out but he has a questionable chin, and doesn't display much on his feet....i mean he got KO'd by Saku! frank has the chin, the hands and the record to indicate that he'd take it on the feet.

For me the main difference is cardio. Ken has gassed on many occasions (Fujita)...whereas frank is a cardio animal.

Main thing is I just can't get the Buzz Berry fight out of my mind....Ken stood there for 3 minutes, threw nothing and got hit...... he's just taking the beating for a paycheck at this stage...it's sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Straight to Paddy Powers with this one folks, It's a no brainer, put the mortgage on Frank.
    Recession? What recession?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

^^^^^^lol

If i got in the cage with Ken he would nt catch me with a leg lock, everyone knows thats all hes got. Ken is tough but everyone is saying leg lock, and frank def knows thats where kens strengths lay. He ll be prepared for it.

But frank is a much better fighter since the pancrase days and ken is still prob doing the same training since then but frank has moved on.

But we are talking about the shamrock bros here, I would nt be surprised if round 2 was a dance off!

• Advertisement

The difference in control between someone at Renzo's level of BJJ and someone at Ken's level would be, frankly, enormous.

I have rolled with people a lot smaller and a lot weaker than me and they were able to dominate through excellent use of position and infinitely better transitions that me.

For me, Frank has both those advantages over Ken.

Advertisement