Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC253 - Undefeated vs Undefeated

• 26-09-2020 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

how is there no thread for this already!!

Have to say I can't wait for this, have thought about all outcomes about how the main event will play out but I'm leaning towards Izzy by KO.
    Think he will be done in the championship rds but again wouldn't be surprised if he Paulo did him in the 1st.

Again Reyes vs Jan another fight that looks a great match-up. Watched Jones/Reyes again and I still think he won that fight!
    Think he will just have enough to beat Jan but again wouldnt be surprised if he was done in rd 1 :)

Other fights interested in are kai kara france who i think will get it done on pts. Would love to see old favourite Diego win but afraid he has no chance imo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Kind of thinking the same thing about Costa. I don't think Izzy (or really anyone) could handle that pressure for 5 rounds, but i don't think he'll have to. Costa doesn't look like a five round fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Prediction: Costa to rough Izzy up a bit before a well placed Adesanya counter punch to spark him out in round 2/3.

Exciting co-main as well; two guys who aren't exactly gun-shy. Predicting Blachowicz for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

I think Costa will clip him and win by KO in round 3.

He's a huge man for 185, think he said during the week he'd usually walk around at 220.

Both men would be suited towards 205 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Costa can beat him but he has fought pretty poor competition romero apart

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The main reason I think Izzy wins is Costa gets hit too much. TKO in 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭xtal191

Would love Costa to win but I'd honestly be very surprised if Adesanya doesnt win, reckon he'll get it done in the first two rounds. Hes a great fighter but I cant stand him, hes way too cringy for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,798 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

not looking forward to seeing diego fight again and have a feeling he may well end up carrying on far too long like bj penn (probably not fair to compare anyone to penn though)

It's getting to the point where I don't think there's barely anyone in
    the division he's capable of beating which might sound like a stretch to some.

izzy very late finish or pts for me, costa can't possibly win this standing so 49/46 izzy my guess

I think reyes will be too good for jan but may have to go 5 to get it done.

Some people talk about comebacks and unlikely champions like robbie lawlor and Jan went 1-4 back starting back in 2015 losing to the likes of cummins and manuwa
    Jan fighting for a belt back then looked about as unlikely an event as you can get when he only looked tough and possibly a journeyman at one stage in his career.
    It would be some achievement if he gets it done and it might even be fate as I don't think he had a prayer of beating Jones had they met.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Would love Costa to win but I'd honestly be very surprised if Adesanya doesnt win, reckon he'll get it done in the first two rounds. Hes a great fighter but I cant stand him, hes way too cringy for my liking.

Izzy trys much too hard with his rehearsed one-liners. Costa is hilarious though (on Twitter at least).

Unreal power from Jan, his left kicks did some damage to the ribs of Reyes. Very heavy handed striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Jan brought the 'Polish Power' anyway. Them bodykicks left some mark on Reyes. Also just a broken nose and a KO in less than 2 rounds. A devastating win by Jan. He just seems to get better with every fight

Now hopefully the main event lives up to the hype also!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That slo-mo of Jan breaking Reyes's nose.......

Good first round for Izzy. Costa's lead leg looks chewed up already

Easy work!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,334 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Awesome performance from Izzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Whats left for Izzy now? He has cleaned out the division. What a performance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What even was that from Costa? Clowning about, eating leg kicks. Just dumb

What even was that from Costa? Clowning about, eating leg kicks. Just dumb

Costa didn't look relaxed at all in the cage beforehand, I think Izzy got in his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Izzy is phenomenal. A legit superstar. Smartest fighter in the UFC with the skills to back it up

What was it that Kelvin did that nobody else seems to be able to manage?
    I like Kelvin, his fights are nearly always fun, but i never had him as someone that would give the champ his hardest fight.

I thought Izzy was overhyped after that fight, but he's definitely proved me wrong. Costa looked like he didn't belong there. He made it to that fight by being a wreckless bull, then decided to be ultra cautious. Whittaker was knocked out twice, but he at least gave Izzy something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Great performance but is no one going to mention Izzy right pec?

• Advertisement

Great performance but is no one going to mention Izzy right pec?

Gyno?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Brutal from Costa. Just stood there while Adesanya chomped away at his left leg.

Brutal from Costa. Just stood there while Adesanya chomped away at his left leg.

Yeah reminded me of the Romero fight.

Big reach advantage for Izzy, makes me wonder why Costa didn't attempt any takedowns if he's so much better at BJJ
    Ego/ignorance probably made him want to stand in the centre and trade blows.

Cringy stuff from Izzy at post fight press conference, he always comes across almost victim like with a big chip on his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Fight went exactly how i thought im afraid , very close to being Izzy/Costa 2. Big props to izzy , one if not the smartest in the game. Very well deserved win.

Absolutely buzzing for Jan, he is getting better and better. Like said in here in previous posts the power of that leg kick and the slow mo on the reyes nose break was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,496 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My god, Costa put up little resistance. The shot that started it barely clipped him..

Jan win was enjoyable...

I switched off the post fight Izzy interview...weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think that the way that Adesanya beat Whitaker has been the main reason for how his last 2 fights have gone. Both Costa and Romero's number 1 goal seemed to be not to get caught with a counter-strike. Costa wasn't as defensive as Romero was but compared to his previous fights he was unrecognisable. Costa's going to wish he had just rolled the dice and gone for it rather then that anemic performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Esse85 wrote: »
    Gyno?

Could be some kind of strange pec injury but looks like Gyno,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Awful from Costa.

Fights at kicking range with a longer and more diverse striker. Where was the bulldozer who walked down Romero and Hall? Gastelum showed Izzy is vunerable when pressured but he honestly didn't need to break a sweat out there. Costa needed to close distance and throw combinations, his coaches must have been snapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,798 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Terrible from Costa, absolutely no idea what to do

on the other hand it looks to me like Izzy is getting better every fight or did costa just make him look better?

Fair play to Jan, thought Reyes had his number but Reyes didn't look like himself in there, was he over confident? not sure what to make of his performance.
    Jan probably just improved possibly.

• Advertisement

Jan has definitely improved. Fair play to him. He's been around the block and took his chance when it came.

With regard to Costa, the only thing I can think of is that he figured Izzy would be tough to put away and didn't trust his cardio for 5 rounds, so decided to take the cautious approach.

His lead leg will not thank him today

Advertisement