Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 'I've successfully ordered a PS5' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Yeah the Dun Laoghaire GS had the same wierd system. Queue up to pay then queue up AGAIN to collect your console. Too many people in too small a shop getting twitchy in case there wasn't enough machines or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

fixXxer wrote: »
    Good to see launch day veterans still around sharing stories :D

I'm glad that those retail days are behind me now. Even now though, during our first lockdown my youngest decided she wanted a switch lite for Christmas but they were completely sold out. I got that panic that other parents must have had over the years, especially knowing how Nintendo operate, the first one I found in Smyths I bought. I jumped the gun but I don't have to worry now in the run up to Christmas when other parents don't see the shortages coming (and they will).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’ve only ever done one launch day, the ps2. It was going to be a present from Santy, but he forgot to preorder one so there was some panic leading up to launch day(as far as I remember too there was lots of talk about the immense popularity meant it would be really difficult to get one before Christmas, especially as it launched with 1 month to go).

After ringing several places we found out the Virgin Megastore had 50 consoles that would be first come first serve at 9am on release day. So I went into town at 3am to queue, and was the 13th person there. It was freezing, and it was a long wait, but there was a great buzz around the place with people talking about what games they were getting with it and just generally their favourites from the ps1. Shortly before opening a member of staff came out and gave the first 50 people a ticket, the relief when I got that and got in to get the console!! There were distressed parents outside and I remember one person offering 500 for anyone who would give them their console, but it didn’t look like anyone there was looking to make a profit.

As it was a Christmas present, the deal was that once it was in the house then it was to be handed over immediately until Christmas Day. But when I got home there was nobody in the house, so I opened it as quickly and as carefully as I could for a quick go of it-got about 20 minutes of the SSX demo in before I heard the door downstairs. I hurriedly put the console back in(I didn’t have time to put the SCART and power cables back, so they stayed there until Christmas Day, thankfully nobody noticed). Then the console was gone and the agonising wait for Christmas Day began. Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

McFly85 wrote: »
    There were distressed parents outside and I remember one person offering 500 for anyone who would give them their console, but it didn’t look like anyone there was looking to make a profit.

I was offered £750 for mine, but what was the point in having all that money if I can't buy a PS2 for christmas :)

Funny/horrifying story: I was in Dixons in Jervis St not long after launch, some mother asked the sales guy for 'the new playstation' and he sold her the PSOne. I hated the staff in that place, slippery ****s.

Markitron wrote: »
    I was offered £750 for mine, but what was the point in having all that money if I can't buy a PS2 for christmas :)

Funny/horrifying story: I was in Dixons in Jervis St not long after launch, some mother asked the sales guy for 'the new playstation' and he sold her the PSOne. I hated the staff in that place, slippery ****s.

Argh I don’t know how you could live with yourself actively ruining Christmas!

The week after launch my sister ended up getting a temp job in the local GAME so we would have gotten one anyway. They had a policy of not announcing new stock but if anyone came in and asked they’d give them one if it was available. She said it was the best Christmas job she’d ever had-people would come in looking completely dejected and would leave overjoyed. Some people even bought the staff presents afterwards as a thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

I got mine in the most unlikely of places golden discs in Dun Laoghaire a friend of the family called my bro the night before launch to say they had got a few in that day unexpectedly and to come down that night as she would run it through the till.

As it was a christmas gift it was also put away and little me didnt know it was ordered so spent weeks calling all the shops I could, always remember being annoyed that the Sony Centre of all places had nothing to do with Sony

recyclops wrote: »
    I got mine in the most unlikely of places golden discs in Dun Laoghaire a friend of the family called my bro the night before launch to say they had got a few in that day unexpectedly and to come down that night as she would run it through the till.

As it was a christmas gift it was also put away and little me didnt know it was ordered so spent weeks calling all the shops I could, always remember being annoyed that the Sony Centre of all places had nothing to do with Sony

Yea Sony centre were basically Peats, and you best believe the staff had all of them hoovered up long in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

If this is recurring, then it's intentional IMO.

I wonder how many of the disappointed Sony Christmas hopefuls will purchase a load of other stuff and then get a ps5 next year anyway.

I say this is cynical marketing and not incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Farrelk

Reading these stories I'm seriously impressed Santy managed to get me a Wii for Christmas back in the day. Was oblivious to all the commotion as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I asked this on the other thread but curious if anyone on here can advise. I've been trying to get my pre-order address changed with Smyths but they're insisting this isn't possible. Apparently an post are legally obliged to attempt delivery to the address provided so Smyths can't legally intercept the package. This sounds like complete nonsense to me but at the same time I can't see why they'd just make it up. Anyone in a similar situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I asked this on the other thread but curious if anyone on here can advise. I've been trying to get my pre-order address changed with Smyths but they're insisting this isn't possible. Apparently an post are legally obliged to attempt delivery to the address provided so Smyths can't legally intercept the package. This sounds like complete nonsense to me but at the same time I can't see why they'd just make it up. Anyone in a similar situation?

If it had been posted already I'd agree with them but it's not. Their system doesn't have that option and they'd rather not have a long conversation if someone won't accept no for an answer.

People make up **** all the time to sound knowledgeable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Varik wrote: »
    If it had been posted already I'd agree with them but it's not. Their system doesn't have that option and they'd rather not have a long conversation if someone won't accept no for an answer.

This sounds hard to believe as well. Surely worse case, they could send in a DBA to change the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

This may have been posted above already; GameStop seems to have a pretty good idea of its expected stock. One store I spoke to confirmed August 23rd is the approx cutoff for the 499 model, and a LOT later for the 399 model... i.e. deposits prior to this date will get one on launch, deposits after probably won't. I was skeptical about this "pre-order-that's-not-a-preorder" but they seem pretty organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'm gonna presume if i haven't pre-ordered, there's not a chance in hell of getting one in time for Christmas??

I think you have a great chance, especially if willing to take a 399 model (no disc).

Midlife wrote: »
    If this is recurring, then it's intentional IMO.

I wonder how many of the disappointed Sony Christmas hopefuls will purchase a load of other stuff and then get a ps5 next year anyway.

I say this is cynical marketing and not incompetence.

I don’t think it is, as it’s not always been launched everywhere in November.

If you look at the last 2 generations, both Microsoft and Sony have released their consoles in November. To me that points to each company not wanting the other to get a massive head start with a free run at Christmas, so releasing whatever stock they can make is better than waiting until they have enough for demand. I really can’t imagine either company purposely not making as many consoles as they can for marketing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Duffers1983

Forbes: PS5 And Xbox Series X/S Pre-Orders: New Stock Coming October 13, When And Where.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2020/10/12/ps5-and-xbox-series-xs-pre-orders-new-stock-coming-october-13-when-and-where/

More coming online in America so hopefully more for Europe too

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

3DataModem wrote: »
    I think you have a great chance, especially if willing to take a 399 model (no disc).

Where woild i get this? On list in smyths and gs already

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Forbes: PS5 And Xbox Series X/S Pre-Orders: New Stock Coming October 13, When And Where.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2020/10/12/ps5-and-xbox-series-xs-pre-orders-new-stock-coming-october-13-when-and-where/

More coming online in America so hopefully more for Europe too

Only for time travelers it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Encountered this problem a few years ago , ordered something for my nephews and put my sisters maiden name as the address instead of her married name (complete accident )

As it was well known I couldn’t stand my brother in law, I tried everything for smyths to edit the details

That couldn’t

Was a pity as family fireworks ensued over this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

3DataModem wrote: »
    This may have been posted above already; GameStop seems to have a pretty good idea of its expected stock. One store I spoke to confirmed August 23rd is the approx cutoff for the 499 model, and a LOT later for the 399 model... i.e. deposits prior to this date will get one on launch, deposits after probably won't. I was skeptical about this "pre-order-that's-not-a-preorder" but they seem pretty organised.

I spoke to them this morning asking about a different issue with my preorder and even after mentioning I had preordered months and months ago, they still slipped in "we can't guarantee one for Xmas" without me asking.

I wonder if each store is operating with different assumptions? i.e. Rural stores might be doing better with lower demand vs Dublin based high demand ones?

• Advertisement

Encountered this problem a few years ago , ordered something for my nephews and put my sisters maiden name as the address instead of her married name (complete accident)

As it was well known I couldn’t stand my brother in law, I tried everything for smyths to edit the details

That couldn’t

Was a pity as family fireworks ensued over this

Suuuuuuure it was

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

RedXIV wrote: »
    Rural stores might be doing better with lower demand vs Dublin based high demand ones?

There are NO rural gamestop stores. The lowest population store is likely to be Dungarvan but hardly rural either.

Demand is one thing, supply is another. Dublin stores, individually, won't get more units because they have more residents living nearby. I'm sure there are internal metrics GS uses to allocate stock but there's not going to be "Let's give Swords more because more people live there"

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jvrk

In all fairness how can a company like gamestop not know their allocation for in store preorders when console is 5 weeks from been released. It seems like the highest of highs **** show from them.

Berty wrote: »
    There are NO rural gamestop stores.

Tbf, to a lot of people rural = outside of the M50 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RedXIV wrote: »
    i.e. Rural stores might be doing better with lower demand vs Dublin based high demand ones?

All the farmers will have them snapped up long ago. Farming Simulator will hopefully get a nice frame rate and graphical boost on the PS5 to keep us all outside Dublin going through the winter.

lertsnim wrote: »
    All the farmers will have them snapped up long ago. Farming Simulator will hopefully get a nice frame rate and graphical boost on the PS5 to keep us all outside Dublin going through the winter.

Ray-traced puddles in mucky grass - gonna be a game changer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Markitron wrote: »
    Tbf, to a lot of people rural = outside of the M50 :D

By the posters reckoning then rural people in Ireland will have more PS5s than non rural people.

As a "rural person" I'm happy then for this reversal of fortunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

jvrk wrote: »
    In all fairness how can a company like gamestop not know their allocation for in store preorders when console is 5 weeks from been released. It seems like the highest of highs **** show from them.

They are talking absolute sh!te.

Smyths knew exactly how many units they were getting and allowed preorders for exactly that amount. Then they knew exactly how many more they were getting in the next round and allowed pre orders again for exactly that amount.

Gamestop are fully aware of how many they have guaranteed but since they've been letting people preorder one for over a year with no idea of how many they'd get they now have to continue to play this game, stringing them along. They are hoping and praying more stock lands before they have to tell people who pre ordered that they defo aren't getting one. They'll drag it out as long as they can before they have to admit they fecked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

jvrk wrote: »

They know exactly how much they'll be getting and will have the individual stores allocated too. They were greedy and as I said earlier in the thread, anyone who preorders with them needs their head examined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jvrk

They know exactly how much they'll be getting and will have the individual stores allocated too. They were greedy and as I said earlier in the thread, anyone who preorders with them needs their head examined.

Like to be told when preodered back in November was only other person to preorder console in the store to be told we can't tell you if you will get 1 or not is a joke. Never again am I gonna use gamestop .

Advertisement