Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MOD: There is already a big Amazon thread here, so I merged yours into it, no need for a new one.

Amazon take care of VAT and duty once it has been bought from , and fulfilled by Amazon. You need to look and see who the seller is.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Hi All

I bought 2 kids 10 inch tablets a few days ago for 154Eur for both on amazon.co.uk. I got a message telling me my package is delayed and when I checked the order in the app it was '' Initiated customs clearance process''.

Am I liable for custom charges? The invoice states VAT declared by Amazon Services Europe S.a.r.L and the VAT rate was 23%

How would I find out how much I could potentially owe?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Anytime I got anything from the UK on amazon they take the customs charges there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Some third party sellers have issues. Could be something like that. Just contact Amazon customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

This entire topic seems to be something that very few know anything much about. Myself included despite reading into it on an ad hoc basis. A friend in work just last week told me he switched to an amazon.de account for the same reason the OP mentioned here. But my understanding is this. If you are liable for customs charges upon entry to Ireland then you shouldn't have had to pay VAT at source? Is that not the whole theory with duty free?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Amazon, when sold by, and fulfilled by them, pay VAT and duty. The customs initiation message is just a tracking message that they have started the customs procedure. Nothing for the buyer to be concerned about unless buying from a marketplace seller, rather than Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I only ever got charged once for VAT on an amazon order, I refused to pay it and got a full refund from Amazon. Once you're ordering from Amazon direct (including FBA) you will not get charged vat. I just avoid buying from non Amazon sellers for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Had some stuff stopped by customs recently and it just delayed it by a day. It came with a red opened by customs label sealing up one edge.

I think customs thought they had caught a drug smuggler because the Amazon envelope contained 4 foil survival blankets, on an X-Ray they would have looked very suspicious ;-)

Most items aren't stopped and you should never have to pay extra as Amazon pays all the necessary duty provided you bought direct from Amazon and not a market place seller.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

Crikey... what a world we live in. Don't mention VAT, customs or Brexit on here in relation to amazon shipping it seems or the entire thread gets deleted. What is there to hide exactly?

What are you on about? OP started a thread about Amazon. It was moved to the big Amazon thread, which you have just posted in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Anyone else seeing more and more stuff coming from Amazon warehouse in France?

Since new year I've had 4 out of 8 items come from somewhere in France. Annoying as Amazon can get the delivery estimates messed up. I've an item that was last scanned in France that last night was going to be delivered tomorrow but has no chance and is now down for Monday.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Yes I'm getting more and more from the french warehouse via UPS Standard (which can take up to 5 days).

That is both for .uk and .de amazon orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭I am me123

Am I correct in thinking the package is being delivered by courier? Or is it by normal post?

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like you bought from a third party seller and they are shipping it rather then Amazon, I'd expect last mile delivery is likely to be An Post or maybe Fastway.

I was due a parcel today, unfortunately I wasnt home at the time to accept. I got a note through my letterbox saying it was in my local PO for collection, however, the email states 'we will try again'.

Does this mean I will receive the item tomorrow in post, or do I need to collect it myself?

if they left s collect note you should probably collect

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jonnybangbang

Good evening all,

I was just on Amazon and I wanted to ask if anyone else noticed this? I'm a prime member and I have been for about 2-3 years. I was just about to order something on amazon and the deliver was expected to be tomorrow (17th). I then noticed I that I hadn't changed my shipping to address from my brothers in kilkenny as had I ordered something for him last week. He doesn't have prime. When I changed the shipping address back to my home in Carlow the expected delivery changed to Mon 19th. After playing around I noticed on my address (in Carlow) all prime items show an expected delivery for mon19th but if i change the shipping address to my brothers (in Kilkenny) the expected delivery dates vary but include any day over the next 3 days , including Sunday for same items .

Why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Maybe it will depend whether Amazon using their own delivery vans or An Post in different Eircodes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

I live in one part of Dublin and work in the city centre. It regularly shows next day delivery to my home address but several days to my work address. Both use Amazon vans. I've given up trying to make sense of it.

• Advertisement

Hi again,

I usually get a text message on the evening before a delivery.

My Amazon orders says the item was 'Delivered today'. I got no text or parcel.

Could this be a mistake?

Hi there,

I ordered an item from Amazon, that had a delivery date of March 8th at dispatch. I checked my orders on Amazon today, and the item was marked "Delivered today". ?

I usually get an text informing me of impending deliveries, in this case I didn't receive one.

I used the tracking number which showed the following information, it said it was 'Pre advised to PostNL'

In this case, was the 'Delivered today' notification an error? I have not received the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭EarWig

Something similar happened to me.

It was marked as Delivered although that only meant that it had been handed over to a courier. I actually got it one week later.

When I checked with the seller, they said that the carrier they used did not have tracking. It was An Post eventually.

Thank you so much for the reply.

The estimated delivery date as per the dispatch confirmation email is 8/3/24. So I was confused that my Amazon order was stated as being delivered today, especially considering that I never got the usual An Post text message yesterday, if that was really the case.

So should I expect the delivery on the estimated delivery date?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭EarWig

In my case, I had no way of knowing where the package was as the tracking stopped with the handover to the courier. It was a week later than the original delivery date.

Luckily it was delivered by An Post. I missed the delivery attempt but it's easy for me to collect from the depot.

I would say if it's marked as delivered you will get no delivery notice.

By the way, I did get a refund when I reported the package as missing. I then later reversed the refund when the package arrive.

Funnily enough that reversal never went through. But, that may be because there was an error in what was delivered. I had to send that package back.

Such a monumental load of pure and utter **** service.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jonnybangbang

Update: The package was delivered today (17th). Yes it came via An Post. I hate to be skeptical, as i do have to give fair dues where due.. The package came within a day. Great service by Amazon and An Post. But are they doing a Ryanair on it and over estimating the deliver time in order to achieve exceptional delivery time stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I wouldn't read anything.else into it other than a good decent result. Well done An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

My wife ordered a clock from Amazon yesterday afternoon with Monday being the estimated delivery date but it was delivered earlier this morning. We're in Donegal so that was super fast work by An Post.

My estimated delivery date according to my dispatch email is 8th March, so here's hoping my package arrives then 🤞

• Advertisement

Hi there,

My parcel tracker updated today saying " The item is on transport to the country of destination".

How long should I be waiting for my parcel now?

Thank you

Advertisement