Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inbound and internal An Post Delays

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Parcel from Cork to Dublin delivered on day 5:
    Cork...
    Portlaoise...
    Dublin... Dublin... out for delivery.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was going to post a question but reading this thread it seems waiting 3 weeks and counting for a (non tracked) small packet from the UK is not unusual at the moment

Wish I'd known how bad it was before ordering as I can likely get it local now

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Durtburd

Mine updated in the small hours saying it was sorted in dublin today (wed 20th) in the afternoon.

@Darwin there's hope for us yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

That was very lucky for you, no budge on mine at all. I believe some people are having parcels stuck for weeks on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I had a small parcel from the UK (tracked) arrive in just 6 days just last week. I was shocked when I saw it was out for delivery.

I post to the UK every day and there are definitely issues with Royal Mail as I have people waiting on things for much longer than normal. Maybe outgoing from the UK isn't so bad, for tracked post at least.

I also had something reach the US in just a week, whereas I'm waiting over 7 weeks for a parcel that's completely stalled. The sender has even tried filing a case with USPS but the servers are so busy that she just gets errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

@Durtburd spoke too soon, just got a scan this morning in the Dublin hub. Must have come in on the same flight as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Received a small packet from the US two days ago. Dispatched 18th of March. Still waiting for a small packet from Australia dispatched the same time. Took over a week to get a game sent from Smyth's.

All my courier stuff is being delivered next day no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

My large package from the States finally arrived today.

Timeline is:

Departed New York - April 29th

Departed Dublin Airport - May 1st

Arrived to my house today - May 21st

Edit: Forgot to say, I received no tracking info from An Post before delivery for anybody else in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Joziburg

I sent a small packet by registered Mail to the UK on May 8th with An Post and there has been no update on the tracking since then. An Post say it was shipped, Royal Mail say they are expecting it! Doesn’t make sense.

Anyone have a similar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Joziburg wrote: »
    I sent a small packet by registered Mail to the UK on May 8th with An Post and there has been no update on the tracking since then. An Post say it was shipped, Royal Mail say they are expecting it! Doesn’t make sense.

Anyone have a similar experience?

That's strange because I'm sending a lot via standard post so no tracking but I haven't had any complaints, unless they're all being especially patient.

I would get onto An Post if you haven't already. They're very slow to respond at the best of times. I've found a message to the Facebook page to be the quickest way to get a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I ordered some N-95 masks from China, in 5th April. They arrived on the 18th of May.
    According to tracking information, they left China on April 8th... then again on may 8th.
    They didn't arrive in Ireland until the day they were delivered, supposedly.
    Not sure why they too so long.
    Something a lot less essential from Belgium arrived in two days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ordered two things from America shipped two days apart in April, both with a U tracking number. One showed up last week and no tracking information on this side. Still waiting on the second item.

Ordered a few things from a deals website in April that said items sent from UK. Received one item two weeks later with a Chinese address. Still waiting on second item.

Considering I received an item with a Chinese address in two weeks, I went a bit mad on Wish and not holding out for delivery in a reasonable time there.

But looking forward to seeing what will show up at my door in August or September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Here's an update our mailroom got from An Post yesterday.

This is an updated version from what they got early May.

This is for outgoing mail.
    513908.jpg

Heebie wrote: »
    I ordered some N-95 masks from China, in 5th April. They arrived on the 18th of May.
    According to tracking information, they left China on April 8th... then again on may 8th.
    They didn't arrive in Ireland until the day they were delivered, supposedly.
    Not sure why they too so long.
    Something a lot less essential from Belgium arrived in two days.

Chinese customs did a major crackdown on masks and other PPE. All shipments were stopped and returned for items to be put with English language packaging and "non-medical use" put on many of the packs.

I ordered 5 pieces of tat from Wish on March 11th. They were all dispatched roughly the same time, leaving China about March 19th. The 3 cheapest and smallest packages arrived at the end of April. One got to Ireland on April 19, the other apparently hasn't hit Ireland yet. I can't file a claim until June 3rd, and my last Wish account was banned because I claimed back on every package that didn't arrive or didn't work.

Am I the only one who finds it unacceptable that "their target is 3 to 4 weeks after it arrives to Ireland for delivering stuff from China"? An Post's future is parcels, and if their bar is set that low the couriers will eventually provide a solution that costs a bit more for a much faster delivery. I mean, the Amazon/An Post supply chain is excellent, and it's so convenient that they now do late evening deliveries. If they had a higher tier service at a cost that would mean Chinese stuff arrive in 3-4 days rather than 3-4 weeks, many would take that option.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They get next to nothing for deliveries from China, so they are bottom of the pile. The EU doesn't want the market flooded with cheap Chinese product, missing out on taxes and there are moves underway to have no lower limit on payment of VAT/Duty so everything coming in would be VATable. That would kill the imports from China stone dead.

SBS wrote: »
    I ordered 5 pieces of tat from Wish on March 11th. They were all dispatched roughly the same time, leaving China about March 19th. The 3 cheapest and smallest packages arrived at the end of April. One got to Ireland on April 19, the other apparently hasn't hit Ireland yet. I can't file a claim until June 3rd, and my last Wish account was banned because I claimed back on every package that didn't arrive or didn't work.

Am I the only one who finds it unacceptable that "their target is 3 to 4 weeks after it arrives to Ireland for delivering stuff from China"? An Post's future is parcels, and if their bar is set that low the couriers will eventually provide a solution that costs a bit more for a much faster delivery. I mean, the Amazon/An Post supply chain is excellent, and it's so convenient that they now do late evening deliveries. If they had a higher tier service at a cost that would mean Chinese stuff arrive in 3-4 days rather than 3-4 weeks, many would take that option.

read up on Universal Postal Union and you'll see why

1. Post from China is treated as the last to be delivered by almost every country

2. Why no courier company will ever want this business.

it is changing this year, so that will see the end of cheap delivery from China, but a better service.

Basically, you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Come Monday I will be waiting 3 weeks on a non tracked small packet from the UK bought on ebay
    Is the seller taking the piss saying it was posted? Should I give it a bit longer?
    Checking the RM website all mail between UK/IRE has no issues bar some delays but 3 weeks is beyond a bit of a delay when normally stuff would arrive within 7 days max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭georgina...c

Hopefully it gets to you soon

silver2020 wrote: »
    read up on Universal Postal Union and you'll see why

1. Post from China is treated as the last to be delivered by almost every country

2. Why no courier company will ever want this business.

it is changing this year, so that will see the end of cheap delivery from China, but a better service.

Basically, you get what you pay for.

That's essentially what I was advocating - a higher cost for better delivery. Glad to hear it is imminent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

My package was processed by MIAMI FL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 36 hours after tracking said it had left the facility.

I'm hoping that's the last stop before a trans-atlantic flight.

John Oliver did a sketch on the USPS recently.
    Helped me find some more patience and understanding.
    Only 14 days and counting. Not yet excessive compared to some here.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has experience of a parcel being sorted at Dublin Parcel Hub, Dublin 12. Had a parcel arrive a good few days and tracking just shows it as being at the above place. Usually once a parcel gets to Dublin I get it the following day. Tia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

From outside EU? Sounds like customs have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Package from the US. Carrier is USPS. Last tracked 08/05/2020. In transit Custom Clearance.
    Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Package from the US. Carrier is USPS. Last tracked 08/05/2020. In transit Custom Clearance.
    Is this normal?

Would you mind sharing the USPS tracking history (minus tracking number)

I'm waiting on a small packet from west coast since late april.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Is this normal?

Yep .. I'm waiting on one since March. Even have requested, that it's investigated where the darn thing is. Have got other since from the US, but they weren't USPS. Kicking myself now for not having shipped the darn thing UPS or FedEx.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Negative_G wrote: »
    Would you mind sharing the USPS tracking history (minus tracking number)

I'm waiting on a small packet from west coast since late april.

• 8 May 2020
    • 12:22pm

• Customs Clearance

• 8 May 2020
    • 11:22am

• Processed Through Facility

• 7 May 2020
    • 10:06am

• Departed
    • DUBLIN

• 6 May 2020
    • 5:30pm

• Departed
    • NEW YORK

• 6 May 2020
    • 11:31am

• Arrived
    • NEW YORK

• 4 May 2020
    • 6:19pm

• Arrived at Regional Facility
    • JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

• 4 May 2020
    • 6:19pm

• Processed Through Regional Facility
    • JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

• 4 May 2020
    • 4:42pm

• Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
    • JAMAICA, NY 11430

• 1 May 2020
    • 9:53pm

• Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
    • HAUPPAUGE, NY 11788

• 27 Apr 2020
    • 11:01pm

• Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
    • HAUPPAUGE, NY 11788

• 27 Apr 2020
    • 3:54pm

• Tracking number provided

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

angeline wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering if anyone has experience of a parcel being sorted at Dublin Parcel Hub, Dublin 12. Had a parcel arrive a good few days and tracking just shows it as being at the above place. Usually once a parcel gets to Dublin I get it the following day. Tia.

Yeah I had same thing 2 weeks ago with a parcel from Cork.
    Posted on the Tuesday, arrived in Dublin 12 Parcel Hub on the Thursday but wasn't sent out for delivery until the Saturday morning.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

My parcel shipped with USPS on 20.03. finally showed up on An Post tracking yesterday and has been delivered today.

Over 2 months is a pisstake.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Marlow wrote: »
    My parcel shipped with USPS on 20.03. finally showed up on An Post tracking yesterday and has been delivered today.

Over 2 months is a pisstake.

/M

great news mate still waiting myself

Advertisement