Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

499.99 is my uneducated guess for where its going to land.

personally, I'd love the option to just buy the box straight at a discount, with no controller or other stuff, purely because I've more of them than i can use at present

Agreed, I have the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Elite controllers so I have no need for anything other than the base machine. Would be great to just buy the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

ZiabR wrote: »
    Agreed, I have the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Elite controllers so I have no need for anything other than the base machine. Would be great to just buy the console.
    Any issues with the Gen 2?

I'm dying to get one, just sketchy....

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Any issues with the Gen 2?

I'm dying to get one, just sketchy....

My honest opinion is that right now I would avoid one. They are a lovely controller BUT they are essentially a Gen 1 with grips that will no longer peel and with triggers that have 3 settings instead of 2. Oh and you can program 3 setups instead of 2. Is it worth an extra 30 euro over the cost of the Gen 1 when it launched? No, not a chance. It is available from Argos for €200. Thats madness really.

There are also issues with them aswell. Software, and hardware related. I play with a group of 4 mates and 2 out of the 4 have the sticky A button.

A quick Google will show you that the sticky A and B buttons is an issue and that the software issues have been acknowledged by Microsoft.

Once the problems have been ironed out and the price is reduced from the crazy price they are now, they will be the best controller ever to hit the market. Right now, i am not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

My honest opinion is that right now I would avoid one. They are a lovely controller BUT they are essentially a Gen 1 with grips that will no longer peel and with triggers that have 3 settings instead of 2. Oh and you can program 3 setups instead of 2. Is it worth an extra 30 euro over the cost of the Gen 1 when it launched? No, not a chance. It is available from Argos for €200. Thats madness really.

There are also issues with them aswell. Software, and hardware related. I play with a group of 4 mates and 2 out of the 4 have the sticky A button.

A quick Google will show you that the sticky A and B buttons is an issue and that the software issues have been acknowledged by Microsoft.

Once the problems have been ironed out and the price is reduced from the crazy price they are now, they will be the best controller ever to hit the market. Right now, i am not so sure.

That was my thinking on it and the reason I was sketchy. I'll hold out.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

I havent had any problems and i play a lot,the adjustable tension on the sticks is an amazing add on,changing setups from PUBG to FIFA to COD and actually having a light to show which setting im on is a nice add too!

I had the gen 1 and liked it but the gen 2 is a lot better imo,the price point is decent too,i was looking at Scuff and Battle Beaver etc and their basic models are around the same price but with a long wait to receive them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

personally, I'd love the option to just buy the box straight at a discount, with no controller or other stuff, purely because I've more of them than i can use at present

I'd think this could be a strong possibility. Given the fact that the controllers are cross compatible it would make sense to release a unit without including one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote: »
    Nah, it's real apparently, same type as Phil Spencer has. Dianostics/Debug port isn't unusual on a prerelease product like this, it's so they can hook it up to a PC and take a closer look at what's going on software wise.

Hmmm..... Turns out I was wrong, or at least, the person whose reported that I relied on was wrong. Brad Sams is now saying that it's not a debug port, it's actually a CFExpress port, something that I've never heard of before.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Hmmm..... Turns out I was wrong, or at least, the person whose reported that I relied on was wrong. Brad Sams is now saying that it's not a debug port, it's actually a CFExpress port, something that I've never heard of before.

See here.

Yikes, let's hope they come down in price :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-Cfexpress-512GB-1700MB/dp/B07WYHNV94

Doesnt make sense, it's not likely to come down in price e by the end of the year.

I would have thought a usb gen 2 external nvme drive/enclosure would be the way to go.

Doesnt make sense, it's not likely to come down in price e by the end of the year.

I would have thought a usb gen 2 external nvme drive/enclosure would be the way to go.

The way to go is a 2TB USB 3.0 SSD expandable drive. Likely a Samsung as it offers very fast read and and write speeds. No idea why you would go with a CFExpress card when they are alot smaller capacity wise and 4 times the price of a fast SSD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah makes no sense. An external SSD would be much cheaper and offer similar performance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The way to go is a 2TB USB 3.0 SSD expandable drive. Likely a Samsung as it offers very fast read and and write speeds. No idea why you would go with a CFExpress card when they are alot smaller capacity wise and 4 times the price of a fast SSD.

Because, as fast as an external samsung SSD is, it won't match the speeds offered by the internal drive, and games are going to be designed with that internal speed in mind.

I've no doubt that the new Xbox will offer external storage over USB, much like it does on the One right now, but because the games are going to be designed to take advantage of the increased speed, I'd say that any external drive will be limited to storage only, i.e. if you want to actually play the game, you'll have to copy it over onto the internal drive. Hopefully MS make this process easier/automatic/seamless.

I've no idea why they'd go with CFExpress over some kind of NVMe cartridge based thing, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least until they have an opportunity to explain their reasoning.

Also kind of surprised that they didn't just go with the method of upgradable storage that they've done on their latest Surface Pro and Pro X models.

Yeah makes no sense. An external SSD would be much cheaper and offer similar performance.

If the games are designed for the speeds provided by an NVMe drive, then an external SSD won't be able to provide the same experience. It'll be a hell of a lot better than a spinning disk, but there'll still be hitches in framerate because of the slower speeds.

An extreme example perhaps, but check out digital foundry's look at the "next gen" game Star Citizen. Designed for minimum of an SSD, it chugs on a HDD. Would the difference between be as extreme between an internal NVMe drive and an external SSD? I don't think so, but there'd still be a difference that could be felt.

Either way, I still think that you'll still be able to hook up whatever drive you want, you just won't be able to play games from it, similar to the USB3 restriction on the Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I hope it has a fast NVMe drive doesn't have to be a massive capacity just enough for one game and then the same as current where you can hook up a USB HD and store games on there. In my One X I have a SSD and a couple of games on there I am currently playing and games I am finished playing stored on external drive that is only connected up to Xbox when transferring to or from Xbox.

I expect the system has a small amount of extremely high-performance (and endurance) flash paired with a HDD. Maybe using an evolution/offshoot of AMD's StoreMI tiering tech. The system just moves stuff around without user input and for the most part it's seamless.

In this case you might want to expand one or both of the tiers. USB3 external drive (incl SSD if you're feeling flush) to expand the slow tier and some kind of card (cfexpress or otherwise) in that slot to expand the fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

See here.

It might be a future proofing as an expandable storage. I'd say both PS5 & Xbox Series X will have small storage. I think it will be the trade off of having an incredibly fast nvme SSD in both consoles.

While the express storage would look incredibly expensive now in a few years it will be much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It might be a future proofing as an expandable storage. I'd say both PS5 & Xbox Series X will have small storage. I think it will be the trade off of having an incredibly fast nvme SSD in both consoles.

While the express storage would look incredibly expensive now in a few years it will be much cheaper.

Youd imagine the console would have to have a minimum of 1TB out of the box at a bare minimum surely? Modern warfare alone is 160gb at the minute, and you'd have to imagine that file sizes are only going to get bigger?

Youd imagine the console would have to have a minimum of 1TB out of the box at a bare minimum surely? Modern warfare alone is 160gb at the minute, and you'd have to imagine that file sizes are only going to get bigger?

Yeah, it'll have to be 1TB minimum. They've made a big deal about how the drive being so fast will allow you to swap between several games all running at once, which will require a fair bit of storage, plus there's going to be a reserved space for the OS itself and it's updates.

Problem is that the cost of the type of drive we are likely to see in the Xbox is so high that if you put in a 1TB version Microsoft are going to do one of two things. 1) Sell the new console at a massive loss 2) push the price of the new console to €599+

If they dont take a hit on the console price I am confident that the PS5 will be priced cheaper, which which will hurt Microsoft just like it did with the PS4/Xbox One launch.

They need to get the spec and price point right this time around. I am fairly certain that the Series X will be on the money with regards to spec, so that just leaves price...

Big news

Xbox Series X - more confirmed specs/details.

Phil Spencer article

Image snippet.

Xbox_ShortBullets_JPG.jpg?w=940

The article goes into great detail.
    * 60fps - 120fps option for games that support it.
    * Twice the graphical power of Xbox One X
    * Custom SSD drive.
    * AMD's Zen 2 and RNDA 2 architecture.
    * Their own patented variable rate shading (explained in the article.
    * Hardware accelerated ray tracing.
    * Suspend and resume multiple games at the same time.
    * improved latency to Xbox wireless controllers, etc etc.

Much more in the article.

• Advertisement

Honestly, those are some impressive specs.

Honestly, those are some impressive specs.

Might be able to run Pubg, finally :)

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1231961469669068800

Nice to see this confirmed as well, I'd like everyone else to follow suit, but I'm sure EA and Activision will find a way to be total s**ts about this.

Woah, let's not go too far here....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1231961469669068800

Nice to see this confirmed as well, I'd like everyone else to follow suit, but I'm sure EA and Activision will find a way to be total s**ts about this.

Specifically mentions Xbox. Wonder will PlayStation owners have to buy a second copy if they want to play on PS5?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Specifically mentions Xbox. Wonder will PlayStation owners have to buy a second copy if they want to play on PS5?

I don't think so, I'd say it'll be down to individual publishers. I'd say it only talks about Xbox only because Sony haven't talked about anything yet, and CDPR are probably under an agreement not to talk about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

lol, I said the exact same thing in a whatsapp group not minutes ago.

Great spec for the enthusiast

Pointless for general users now like all generational leaps

Hopefully they can deliver on Halo Infinite to give a real reason to upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭dor83

I don't think so, I'd say it'll be down to individual publishers. I'd say it only talks about Xbox only because Sony haven't talked about anything yet, and CDPR are probably under an agreement not to talk about anything.
    Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.

It seems to be something that MS specifically implemented and from here it's up to the devs and publishers to choose, so it might be something that Sony need to implement if they want to do it there too(Which I would expect them to do). I have no technical knowledge about this but it looks like it's related to them wanting everything to work with the whole family of devices, all the accessories and first party games will so maybe this is them just letting everyone know that there's no reason for the publisher to charge you twice other than them wanting to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Digital Foundry having an impromptu chat about the news.

Advertisement