Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hooter23 wrote: »
    They can keep their heatwave who wants to be burned alive with 37 degree heat...feck that ;)

I'm more about the temperature records been broken. It seems we are destined to stay forever in a 33C high which was set in the 18th Century. Every summer we seem to miss an opportunity due to wind direction, shortness of hot spell or hot spell just missing us by about 200km.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

In Dublin City and tonight is the hottest it's felt all year for me.

Temperatures on the weather sites don't seen to agree but then they've been saying we'd have a high of 22 all week and that turned out to be baloney.

Hoping tomorrow we have beach temps in Dublin.

I know many will go to the beach at 24, 25, but that's frazing to me, need 26, 27.

Anyway, nice to get a very warm day today with no rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

2pm

Malin head 25 degrees

Met.ie reporting Malin Head at 19C at 2300 and also 19C at Finner and at Newport in Mayo. The northwest seems to be the warmest this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yup went to Rosses Pt at 930pm and it was 21c

When I got back to Sligo after my swim it was 22c but since dark its now 19.1c

Malin Hd 26c today the max
    Give them their day in the sun. Usually 12c there.

Still think our 33c will be beaten in the next 10 years and I worry that those 40c temperatures seem to creep nearer though probably 80 years away from us yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Met.ie reporting Malin Head at 19C at 2300 and also 19C at Finner and at Newport in Mayo. The northwest seems to be the warmest this evening.

It was the same temperature last night at this time as well, it will nearly be 48 hours of the temperature not dropping below 19C if it hold up a few more hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm more about the temperature records been broken. It seems we are destined to stay forever in a 33C high which was set in the 18th Century. Every summer we seem to miss an opportunity due to wind direction, shortness of hot spell or hot spell just missing us by about 200km.

The record was set back in the 18th Century...strange...it was not called climate change back then..just weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Just back from a week in Spain where it was about 35 degrees and very humid, just stepping outside would make you sweat!

Currently about 17 degrees here in cork city with grey skies and a bit of wind. Meh. Sad

Hmm? Is it humid in Spain - I’m going to southern Spain in a week and it looks like humidity is < 30%.

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The record was set back in the 18th Century...strange...it was not called climate change back then..just weather

Ireland is fairly unusual in regards to this. Records are being broken in London and across Europe right now. And some were broken (iirc) last year in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hmm? Is it humid in Spain - I’m going to southern Spain in a week and it looks like humidity is < 30%.

humidity here is fairly low most of the time, genearlly 30 to 40. temperature here on the south coast of Spain is not as warm as you think either, regulary stays around the 27 to 30C mark, rarely goes above 32C. I'm a week in southern Spain now and the temperature has goten to 32c just once and the sea breeze makes it feel like a 25C in Ireland. It's only once you go more than 40km inland that you get the serious spanish heat.

• Advertisement

humidity here is fairly low most of the time, genearlly 30 to 40. temperature here on the south coast of Spain is not as warm as you think either, regulary stays around the 27 to 30C mark, rarely goes above 32C. I'm a week in southern Spain now and the temperature has goten to 32c just once and the sea breeze makes it feel like a 25C in Ireland. It's only once you go more than 40km inland that you get the serious spanish heat.

That’s what I see. Although I am going inland a bit. Low humidity trumps high heat for me. All you need is a fan. Or a breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Bit of lightning now around wexford and south kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Im staying in bournemouth uk, 35 degrees today here and right now its 27 degrees. Im lying here sweating & balls naked on the bed watching lightning I've seen behave like it is before, literally flashing every few seconds for the last hour non stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

My son left his left to sleep on a bed with no blankets in the back room coz he was so hot. Sligos heatwave is the night. Most of past 10 nights above 14c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

looks like Ireland misses out on yet another heatwave, the temperatures across the UK even up to northern Scotland look very impressive, with only Ireland, Northern Ireland and the extreme south-west of the UK missing out on the heat. The UK is likely to be hotter than the weather i'm enjoying in southern spain. Could still get to 22 or 23C at times in Ireland over the next few days, which is still pleasantly warm for most people.

How is ireland missing the heatwave. It’s been like 25-27 degrees since the weekend and low 20s before that and set to be 22-25 over the coming days. The weather has been great, in dublin anyway. The weather since mid June has been nearly constantly in the 20s in dublin. For me that is good summer weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

If you want really hot weather, France is the place to be. Paris to hit around 42-43 degrees! To be honest that is horrible heat levels

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Remaining very warm in the east tomorrow and Thursday. Top temp tomorrow 24c around Dublin and up to 27c on Thursday again with Dublin prime candidate for top temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Well that was an interesting read

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Remaining very warm in the east tomorrow and Thursday. Top temp tomorrow 24c around Dublin and up to 27c on Thursday again with Dublin prime candidate for top temp.

MT's forecast doesn't seem so bullish

lawred2 wrote: »
    MT's forecast doesn't seem so bullish

I stand 100% behind my forecast as I always do.

MT could be right of course. But i'd be pretty confident of that temperature profile in the eastern half of the country.

Rest of the country often cloudier and there is the risk of either thunderstorms or thundery rain at times there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Big difference between Met Eireann's and MT's forecasts for tomorrow.

Big difference between Met Eireann's and MT's forecasts for tomorrow.

MT's forecast is wrong. Simple as that.

Highs of 20c on Thursday? No. Not in the eastern half of the country and more specifically northern Leinster.

Temperatures should come in maxing around 26 or 27c.

Cooler and cloudier the further west you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Each to their own of course but I really don't get the unbearable stifling heat comments over the past few days, this is the first time all summer I've felt in my element, best evening of the summer here with clear skies and nice muggy warmth

It is true that Donegal has bore the brunt of the cool, wet weather this summer, so I can see where you are coming from. But that hasn't been the case here in Galway, where is has been sickly warm and humid for weeks now and I am pig sick of it to be honest. Those who live along or near coastal regions (I.E, most of the people on here) are nearly always subject to a nice, cooling breeze in this weather, but that is not always the case for the rest of us.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wet, cloudy and about 17 degrees here in cork city. Enjoy it while you can, east coasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If you want really hot weather, France is the place to be. Paris to hit around 42-43 degrees! To be honest that is horrible heat levels

Thats true , it is horrible . Nobody wants that kind of heat .Once the temps go over your own body temp ( 37 ) you start to feel the effects .I was in Vienna a few years ago and the temp was 39/40 and it was unbearable for everyone . The locals were telling us the elderly were dying the babies suffering from over heating .Personally we felt dizzy and ill and had to stay indoors until evening .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

More cloud this morning. We saw the sun yesterday afternoon but its all rather disappointing. Also a feeling of rain in the air.
    Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

How is ireland missing the heatwave. It’s been like 25-27 degrees since the weekend and low 20s before that and set to be 22-25 over the coming days. The weather has been great, in dublin anyway. The weather since mid June has been nearly constantly in the 20s in dublin. For me that is good summer weather

Good summer weather to me is bags of sunshine and low 20s though in fairness, July hasn’t been nearly as bad in the sunshine department as some previous months.

I do have an unpopular opinion though of loving torrential rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

I may get killed here, but I think we have had a great summer. Just the right mix. Here's hoping it lasts well into September.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Syran what were your predictions for August? a quick summary would do, Thanks

Another warmer and drier than average month like July but perhaps high pressure a bit too far east to allow an anticyclonic month for the west. Possibility of some very warm weather again as plumes from the south or southeast occur. Warmest August since 2003.

So far, I’m very happy with the summer forecast. Only part now is that July might come out a bit wetter than anticipated due to some days’ downpours even though most of the month has been dry. No signal whatsoever for August right now on models, changing every single day including the first few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

appledrop wrote: »
    Yep it was mad. I left a lovely morning in Dublin + hit this crap weather there. It reminded me if why I would never holiday in Ireland for my main summer break.

Thankfully I got out in park this evening back in Dublin + we left at nearly 8 + it was still lovely.

It actually brightened up into a lovely afternoon and evening in the end. So wasnt a total bust! Nice morning here this morning. But definitely agree if you can somewhere warm during the summer if needed.

Advertisement