Forum Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-07-2018, 23:09   #46
shakeitoff
Registered User
 
shakeitoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 562
Yeah, at end of day, something other than money is resulting in them going off and playing more games after a gruelling season. Club football will never have that charm.
shakeitoff is offline  
Advertisement
10-07-2018, 06:31   #47
Omackeral
Registered User
 
Omackeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 31,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockframe View Post
The World Cup is always enjoyable but it's not anywhere near as riveting as the last 8 or 16 of the Champions League onwards.
Ah but sure if you get knocked out in the CL at that stage you can just come back and have a crack next year. In the World Cup, it's potentially always your last shot at it. That to me is great drama.
Omackeral is offline  
(2) thanks from:
10-07-2018, 06:44   #48
NIMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 26,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Ah but sure if you get knocked out in the CL at that stage you can just come back and have a crack next year. In the World Cup, it's potentially always your last shot at it. That to me is great drama.
You think this would make some guys try a little harder, wouldn't you?

Latest example, Falcao for Colombia....against England he had no interest in playing football. Just moaning at ref, histrionics, feigning injury etc.

Same could be said for a few Spanish, German, Argentinians as well.
NIMAN is offline  
10-07-2018, 06:55   #49
Omackeral
Registered User
 
Omackeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 31,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
You think this would make some guys try a little harder, wouldn't you?

Latest example, Falcao for Colombia....against England he had no interest in playing football. Just moaning at ref, histrionics, feigning injury etc.

Same could be said for a few Spanish, German, Argentinians as well.
For every Falcao you had Cavani giving it his everything for his country and that Uruguayan defender literally crying on the pitch with 5 minutes to go. You had the Korean players falling to their knees with sheer joy for winning a dead rubber against Germany.
Omackeral is offline  
(3) thanks from:
10-07-2018, 08:10   #50
odyssey06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by briany View Post
As Jack Dee once put it, "I see Chelsea have just won the league. What a great day for Italy."
These days, in the top clubs, players are playing for their pay, not their patch.
It has been that way since the advent of professionalism over 100 years ago, Liverpool winning the First Division with Scots that they had signed with transfer fees had the old Corinthian type brigade coming out with the same criticisms.
odyssey06 is offline  
Advertisement
10-07-2018, 09:18   #51
shakeitoff
Registered User
 
shakeitoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
For every Falcao you had Cavani giving it his everything for his country and that Uruguayan defender literally crying on the pitch with 5 minutes to go. You had the Korean players falling to their knees with sheer joy for winning a dead rubber against Germany.
I think they thought they were through, not that it takes away from your point
shakeitoff is offline  
10-07-2018, 12:24   #52
jmayo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
Can be a nice little side earner too. It was reported by the BBC over the weekend that top French players have been earning as much as £17,000 a match. Some to their credit are donating their match fees to charity.

England players seem to have a base salary of 2 grand per game plus performance bonuses. Apparently if they win the cup the squad will share a £5 million prize money pot.
I always remember the 1990 world cup where the disparity of the wealth of some nations/federations was plain to see.
The United Arab Emirates players were givena Rolls Royce if they scored a goal whereas Czechoslovakia players were promised a Skoda if they won the bloody thing.
Now for you kids around here look up Skodas from the old days

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
It has been that way since the advent of professionalism over 100 years ago, Liverpool winning the First Division with Scots that they had signed with transfer fees had the old Corinthian type brigade coming out with the same criticisms.
Ehh a lot of the great Liverpool teams had lots of native Liverpudlians long before Steven Gerrard or even Robbie Fowler were heard of.
Phil Thompson, Terry McDermott, Jimmy Case, Tommy Smith, Steve McMahon, Sammy Lee, Steve McManaman, John Aldridge are some of the names.

The most striking ever example of a successful team full of locals is actually Celtics European Cup winning team.
All but one member of the 15 man squad for the final in Lisbon were born within something like 15 miles of Parkhead.
jmayo is offline  
Thanks from:
10-07-2018, 12:38   #53
Cork Boy 53
Banned
 
Cork Boy 53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorneTobyWilde View Post
Should be impossible not to qualify. So many weak teams in this World Cup, yet Italy, Holland, Ireland not there.
Seems wrong.

Top two in qualifying table should be straight into it. Italy were in same qualifying group as Spain, Spain tops group and Italy were out. What bull.
Italy had the chance to qualify via the play offs but were not good enough to do so. How is that bull?
Cork Boy 53 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
10-07-2018, 13:25   #54
odyssey06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayo View Post
Ehh a lot of the great Liverpool teams had lots of native Liverpudlians long before Steven Gerrard or even Robbie Fowler were heard of.
Phil Thompson, Terry McDermott, Jimmy Case, Tommy Smith, Steve McMahon, Sammy Lee, Steve McManaman, John Aldridge are some of the names.
The most striking ever example of a successful team full of locals is actually Celtics European Cup winning team.
All but one member of the 15 man squad for the final in Lisbon were born within something like 15 miles of Parkhead.
If the only concern was playing for their patch Kenny Dalglish would have played for Rangers not Celtic & Liverpool. Going back 100 years the top teams have used transfer fees and wages to sign players from outside their patch, ever since the advent of professionalism.
Liverpool's first ever league title was delivered courtesy of Scots signed by manager Tom Watson, and they weren't going there for the scenery.

Even before that, in 'amateur' days, the Midlands clubs who founded the Football League enticed players from Scotland with promises of easy jobs in local factories with good wages and short hours.

Celtic's stunning achievement with local players stands out as an exception not the rule.
odyssey06 is offline  
Advertisement
10-07-2018, 13:30   #55
odyssey06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Boy 53 View Post
Italy had the chance to qualify via the play offs but were not good enough to do so. How is that bull?
I have a little sympathy for the teams whose paths were blocked by teams that made it out of the group stages e.g. in Italy's case Spain and Sweden.

In Ireland's case we didn't get past Serbia & Denmark but Serbia didn't make it out of the group stage.

But FIFA's massively expanded number of teams at future world cups means no one has any excuse.
odyssey06 is offline  
10-07-2018, 13:38   #56
briany
Registered User
 
briany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeitoff View Post
I think they thought they were through, not that it takes away from your point
I'd say their celebrating was warranted by the achievement of beating the reigning world champions. They wouldn't celebrate being through without checking first. That would be thoroughly silly.
briany is offline  
10-07-2018, 14:13   #57
jmayo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
If the only concern was playing for their patch Kenny Dalglish would have played for Rangers not Celtic & Liverpool. Going back 100 years the top teams have used transfer fees and wages to sign players from outside their patch, ever since the advent of professionalism.
Liverpool's first ever league title was delivered courtesy of Scots signed by manager Tom Watson, and they weren't going there for the scenery.

Even before that, in 'amateur' days, the Midlands clubs who founded the Football League enticed players from Scotland with promises of easy jobs in local factories with good wages and short hours.

Celtic's stunning achievement with local players stands out as an exception not the rule.
Oh I know the last one is very true, but it was a lot better years ago then it is now.
Now the players aren't even from the same country as the club never mind the same city.
Hell the academies are now full of kids from God knows where.

Funny you mention the Scots.
Scotland produced some great talent in the past that ultimately helped the biggest English clubs win things.
Care to name the top Scots at the moment and who they play with ?
How many Scots have won a PL title over the last 15 years ?
jmayo is offline  
Thanks from:
10-07-2018, 15:20   #58
odyssey06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayo View Post
Funny you mention the Scots.
Scotland produced some great talent in the past that ultimately helped the biggest English clubs win things.
Care to name the top Scots at the moment and who they play with ?
How many Scots have won a PL title over the last 15 years ?
Darren Fletcher is the only one I can think of off the top of my head and he was never a Footballer of the Year candidate unlike McAllister, Strachan, Hendry, Souness, Dalglish etc.
odyssey06 is offline  
Thanks from:
10-07-2018, 15:21   #59
Cork Boy 53
Banned
 
Cork Boy 53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
I have a little sympathy for the teams whose paths were blocked by teams that made it out of the group stages e.g. in Italy's case Spain and Sweden.

In Ireland's case we didn't get past Serbia & Denmark but Serbia didn't make it out of the group stage.

But FIFA's massively expanded number of teams at future world cups means no one has any excuse.
Actually there will only be 3 extra European teams from 2026 onwards. The majority of the extra places will be going to the African, Asian, Concacaf and Oceania confederations. In fact UEFA will have proportionately fewer teams than at present; 16 from 48 compared to 13 from 32.
Cork Boy 53 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
10-07-2018, 17:30   #60
Dr. Bre
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Boy 53 View Post
Actually there will only be 3 extra European teams from 2026 onwards. The majority of the extra places will be going to the African, Asian, Concacaf and Oceania confederations. In fact UEFA will have proportionately fewer teams than at present; 16 from 48 compared to 13 from 32.
That’s robbery from FIFA. 6/8 quarter finalists from Europe . So basically all of concacaf qualifies
Dr. Bre is offline  
Forum Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search