Forum Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-06-2018, 20:32   #16
sligojoek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 24,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Yes, agree fully.

The last thing that needs to happen is him being turned into a bloody sideshow by some marketing heads at RTÉ, akin to the caricature Ray Hudson has become.
Too late. Brenda Donohue had him on the radio today. Reading back all the tweets and asking him about "Bangers" etc.
sligojoek is offline  
Advertisement
21-06-2018, 21:22   #17
trashcan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by sligojoek View Post
Too late. Brenda Donohue had him on the radio today. Reading back all the tweets and asking him about "Bangers" etc.
Is banger not a phrase known to everyone ? Was in common usage when I were a lad, lad.
trashcan is online now  
(4) thanks from:
21-06-2018, 21:23   #18
briany
Registered User
 
briany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by sligojoek View Post
Too late. Brenda Donohue had him on the radio today. Reading back all the tweets and asking him about "Bangers" etc.
I would expect that Brian Kerr, at 65 years of age, to have a degree of maturity and perspective so that he does not become infatuated with his status as a minor meme to the point where he thinks, "I've got to keep this going!" and starts forcing his patter.
briany is offline  
21-06-2018, 21:34   #19
odyssey06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcan View Post
Is banger not a phrase known to everyone ? Was in common usage when I were a lad, lad.
Yep even in gaa circles. Think in US or UK it is a ringer.
odyssey06 is offline  
22-06-2018, 10:27   #20
fiveleavesleft
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 203
Kerr on Higuain last night. He doesn't fancy him, he's overrated, only scores against little teams but he reads books so he's not too bad a lad!
fiveleavesleft is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-06-2018, 10:39   #21
sligojoek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 24,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by briany View Post
I would expect that Brian Kerr, at 65 years of age, to have a degree of maturity and perspective so that he does not become infatuated with his status as a minor meme to the point where he thinks, "I've got to keep this going!" and starts forcing his patter.
I meant RTE, not Brian. Knowing them they'll be using soundbites in ads and Ray Darcy will probably have him on the TV show in the autumn raking over all the clips again.
sligojoek is offline  
Thanks from:
22-06-2018, 10:39   #22
Ol' Donie
Registered User
 
Ol' Donie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 18,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveleavesleft View Post
Kerr on Higuain last night. He doesn't fancy him, he's overrated, only scores against little teams but he reads books so he's not too bad a lad!
Haha, I missed that.

Was it books or boo-ks?
Ol' Donie is online now  
(4) thanks from:
22-06-2018, 10:43   #23
theteal
Registered User
 
theteal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,858
I still think he was hard done by with the main job.

I remember we spent a day out in Belfield making an ad for a newspaper yonks ago. It was basically a full day training session in front of cameras with himself calling the shots. I was lucky enough to share a table with Brian for lunch. I don’t think I ate a bite, just sat listening to his stories. Legend.

We all thought they’d be showing all our silky skills on the telly, I think in the end there was about 4 seconds of footage in the final ad and half of that was in the showers for some very strange reason
theteal is offline  
22-06-2018, 10:45   #24
fiveleavesleft
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 203
With Kerr its always buukes, was late enough in the game when he said it, then Croatia attacked & it got lost in the action.
fiveleavesleft is offline  
Advertisement
22-06-2018, 11:04   #25
Ol' Donie
Registered User
 
Ol' Donie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 18,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by sligojoek View Post
I meant RTE, not Brian. Knowing them they'll be using soundbites in ads and Ray Darcy will probably have him on the TV show in the autumn raking over all the clips again.
Even reading that turns my stomach.
Ol' Donie is online now  
22-06-2018, 15:06   #26
briany
Registered User
 
briany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by theteal View Post
I still think he was hard done by with the main job.
Kerr was somewhat unlucky not to get Ireland to a WC playoff at least. His players really choked on those two Israel games, and suffered a brilliant strike from Henry.

From that, he lost the confidence of the media and the FAI. I also have an inkling that he would have found it difficult to effectively marshal a group of professional players, being that he made his name at the LOI, grass roots and youth levels. That's just my feeling, though.

But I feel bad for Kerr having to entirely shoulder the responsibility for not qualifying, especially after that last game. The most listless performance I have seen from an Ireland team in that kind of situation. Yeah, get Kerr up to Abbotstown, but I'd preferred to have seen all the players dragged up there, too. Problem is they had probably all swanned off back to England the next morning.

Last edited by briany; 22-06-2018 at 15:11.
briany is offline  
(3) thanks from:
22-06-2018, 15:35   #27
TFBubendorfer
Moderator
 
TFBubendorfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by theteal View Post
I still think he was hard done by with the main job.
I have an ever so slightly controversial opinion with regards to that, but hey ...

He was a sh*t manager, the Ireland team played an appalling style of football under him (admittedly, it got even worse afterwards) and since he was never going to qualify for an international tournament they HAD to get rid of him.

Ever since he keeps criticising managers who are way better than he ever was, and football players whose skill levels he can't even comprehend.

I can't stand the f*cker. All talk, nothing to back it up.
TFBubendorfer is offline  
22-06-2018, 15:45   #28
Ferris_Bueller
Registered User
 
Ferris_Bueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBubendorfer View Post
I have an ever so slightly controversial opinion with regards to that, but hey ...

He was a sh*t manager, the Ireland team played an appalling style of football under him (admittedly, it got even worse afterwards) and since he was never going to qualify for an international tournament they HAD to get rid of him.

Ever since he keeps criticising managers who are way better than he ever was, and football players whose skill levels he can't even comprehend.

I can't stand the f*cker. All talk, nothing to back it up.
A bit harsh, no? Fair enough if you don't like the guy but saying he has nothing to back it up is simply not true. Maybe the senior mens job was a step too far for him, but as an analyst and a pundit since surely he is entitled to speak his mind on the Irish team/managers etc.

I for one would love to see him involved with the FAI in some capacity again.
Ferris_Bueller is online now  
22-06-2018, 17:19   #29
Austria!
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,430
The level of tactical analysis he is giving is much higher or at least more frequent than any other co-commentator.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Donie View Post
Haha, I missed that.

Was it books or boo-ks?



I was saying boo ks.
Austria! is offline  
Thanks from:
22-06-2018, 17:28   #30
yabadabado
Registered User
 
yabadabado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBubendorfer View Post
I have an ever so slightly controversial opinion with regards to that, but hey ...

He was a sh*t manager, the Ireland team played an appalling style of football under him (admittedly, it got even worse afterwards) and since he was never going to qualify for an international tournament they HAD to get rid of him.

Ever since he keeps criticising managers who are way better than he ever was, and football players whose skill levels he can't even comprehend.

I can't stand the f*cker. All talk, nothing to back it up.
Manager when we won 2 underage tournaments.No manager has done that before or since.Also a third place finish at world youth championships.
For that alone he deserves respect.
yabadabado is offline  
Forum Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search