Forum Closed  

21-06-2018, 20:32   #16
sligojoek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Yes, agree fully.

The last thing that needs to happen is him being turned into a bloody sideshow by some marketing heads at RTÉ, akin to the caricature Ray Hudson has become.
Too late. Brenda Donohue had him on the radio today. Reading back all the tweets and asking him about "Bangers" etc.
Advertisement
21-06-2018, 21:22   #17
trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sligojoek View Post
Too late. Brenda Donohue had him on the radio today. Reading back all the tweets and asking him about "Bangers" etc.
Is banger not a phrase known to everyone ? Was in common usage when I were a lad, lad.
(4) thanks from:
21-06-2018, 21:23   #18
briany

Quote:
I would expect that Brian Kerr, at 65 years of age, to have a degree of maturity and perspective so that he does not become infatuated with his status as a minor meme to the point where he thinks, "I've got to keep this going!" and starts forcing his patter.
21-06-2018, 21:34   #19
odyssey06

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcan View Post
Is banger not a phrase known to everyone ? Was in common usage when I were a lad, lad.
Yep even in gaa circles. Think in US or UK it is a ringer.
22-06-2018, 10:27   #20
fiveleavesleft

Kerr on Higuain last night. He doesn't fancy him, he's overrated, only scores against little teams but he reads books so he's not too bad a lad!
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-06-2018, 10:39   #21
sligojoek

Quote:
Originally Posted by briany View Post
I would expect that Brian Kerr, at 65 years of age, to have a degree of maturity and perspective so that he does not become infatuated with his status as a minor meme to the point where he thinks, "I've got to keep this going!" and starts forcing his patter.
I meant RTE, not Brian. Knowing them they'll be using soundbites in ads and Ray Darcy will probably have him on the TV show in the autumn raking over all the clips again.
Thanks from:
22-06-2018, 10:39   #22
Ol' Donie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveleavesleft View Post
Kerr on Higuain last night. He doesn't fancy him, he's overrated, only scores against little teams but he reads books so he's not too bad a lad!
Haha, I missed that.

Was it books or boo-ks?
(4) thanks from:
22-06-2018, 10:43   #23
theteal

I still think he was hard done by with the main job.

I remember we spent a day out in Belfield making an ad for a newspaper yonks ago. It was basically a full day training session in front of cameras with himself calling the shots. I was lucky enough to share a table with Brian for lunch. I don’t think I ate a bite, just sat listening to his stories. Legend.

We all thought they’d be showing all our silky skills on the telly, I think in the end there was about 4 seconds of footage in the final ad and half of that was in the showers for some very strange reason
22-06-2018, 10:45   #24
fiveleavesleft

With Kerr its always buukes, was late enough in the game when he said it, then Croatia attacked & it got lost in the action.
Advertisement
22-06-2018, 11:04   #25
Ol' Donie

Quote:
I meant RTE, not Brian. Knowing them they'll be using soundbites in ads and Ray Darcy will probably have him on the TV show in the autumn raking over all the clips again.
Even reading that turns my stomach.
22-06-2018, 15:06   #26
briany

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteal View Post
Kerr was somewhat unlucky not to get Ireland to a WC playoff at least. His players really choked on those two Israel games, and suffered a brilliant strike from Henry.

From that, he lost the confidence of the media and the FAI. I also have an inkling that he would have found it difficult to effectively marshal a group of professional players, being that he made his name at the LOI, grass roots and youth levels. That's just my feeling, though.

But I feel bad for Kerr having to entirely shoulder the responsibility for not qualifying, especially after that last game. The most listless performance I have seen from an Ireland team in that kind of situation. Yeah, get Kerr up to Abbotstown, but I'd preferred to have seen all the players dragged up there, too. Problem is they had probably all swanned off back to England the next morning.

Last edited by briany; 22-06-2018 at 15:11.
(3) thanks from:
22-06-2018, 15:35   #27
TFBubendorfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteal View Post
I have an ever so slightly controversial opinion with regards to that, but hey ...

He was a sh*t manager, the Ireland team played an appalling style of football under him (admittedly, it got even worse afterwards) and since he was never going to qualify for an international tournament they HAD to get rid of him.

Ever since he keeps criticising managers who are way better than he ever was, and football players whose skill levels he can't even comprehend.

I can't stand the f*cker. All talk, nothing to back it up.
22-06-2018, 15:45   #28
Ferris_Bueller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBubendorfer View Post
I have an ever so slightly controversial opinion with regards to that, but hey ...

He was a sh*t manager, the Ireland team played an appalling style of football under him (admittedly, it got even worse afterwards) and since he was never going to qualify for an international tournament they HAD to get rid of him.

Ever since he keeps criticising managers who are way better than he ever was, and football players whose skill levels he can't even comprehend.

A bit harsh, no? Fair enough if you don't like the guy but saying he has nothing to back it up is simply not true. Maybe the senior mens job was a step too far for him, but as an analyst and a pundit since surely he is entitled to speak his mind on the Irish team/managers etc.

I for one would love to see him involved with the FAI in some capacity again.
22-06-2018, 17:19   #29
Austria!

The level of tactical analysis he is giving is much higher or at least more frequent than any other co-commentator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Donie View Post
Haha, I missed that.

Was it books or boo-ks?

I was saying boo ks.
Thanks from:
22-06-2018, 17:28   #30
yabadabado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBubendorfer View Post

Manager when we won 2 underage tournaments.No manager has done that before or since.Also a third place finish at world youth championships.
For that alone he deserves respect.
Forum Closed