Forum Closed  

15-07-2018, 18:13   #586
Zeek12

Typical RTÉ
We’ve just watched the biggest game in world football. 6 goals. Lots of excitement.

But the panel are banging on about Mourinho and Old Trafford....why?

They’ll have all next seasons champions league to have this debate

They should be discussing today’s final
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-07-2018, 18:23   #587
Pussyhands
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeitoff View Post
Here, I think there's a delay or something. I've notice Hamilton says the players names but it seems to be late so it makes it seem he's getting the players names wrong.
He doesn't know who it is so by the time he's figured it out the ball is gone.
15-07-2018, 19:12   #588
GFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueser View Post
Jesus, no. Proper "nails down a blackboard" stuff for me.
Do you mean:
"Propper naiielz dowen a blacckboaard"

... say it very slowly

Last edited by GFish; 15-07-2018 at 19:22.
15-07-2018, 19:29   #589
Mr.Nice Guy

Thought it was a poor World Cup from RTE. Not as bad as the BBC who I thought were dreadful, but still disappointing. Thank goodness for Brian Kerr who at least made it watchable. Hugh Cahill was the best RTE play-by-play guy I heard and he seemed to be phased out after the last 16. George Hamilton and Stephen Alkin were terrible. ITV were comfortably the best imo. My Punditry Team of the Tournament:

Host: Mark Pougatch

Pundits: Roy Keane, Didi Hamann, Gary Neville.

Commentators: Jon Champion, Brian Kerr.
15-07-2018, 20:46   #590
ligerdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agricola View Post
Am I mad for liking George Hamilton. I have never understood the hate for him.

I always thought he gauged the calm delivery versus the mental roaring delivery very well. He's usually understated and unlike a lot of UK commentators doesnt feel the need to shout the house down to impart how VERY IMPORTANT AND EXCITING THAT PIECE OF PLAY WAS!

He's clearly well read and loves to stick in an aul fact or bit of trivia here and there. He's clearly interested in football as he has a good memory of even minor events that took place on pitches the world over in his long career and recalls them with ease. Contrast that to someone like Trevor Welsh on TV3 who would need to consult wikipedia to check who won the last world cup.

I just think George is a great fella altogether.

(I''m definitely not George Hamilton)
Hat's off, always (when a point is considered) admire those going against the grain.

I like Hamilton, although I do recognise that he is prone to getting names wrong a lot more than he used to. He has a good energy and usually gets the tone right. I've always preferred him to Magee, who I felt had a tone which really grated, unlike his normal speaking voice which was not hard on the ear.

A relatively unspoken aspect of Hamilton's career, at least from what I can see, is his commentary on the Olympics. One of my favourite sporting observances is the Olympic marathon, all these athletes charging around for 2 and a small bit hours and there he is giving some nugget about a cathedral the leading pack were running by and how it was founded in 1XXX by so and so, and other historical notes on that. Bordering on Alan Partridge stuff.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-07-2018, 21:54   #591
Zeek12

I was always a big fan of George.
Some of my favourite Irish sporting memories feature George's voice as the soundtrack.

But would have to admit time has dimmed his commentating skills.
I hope his health is Ok. The number of mistakes he made this tournament were quite surprising.

I'd have to say he's not helped by the quality and demeanor of his co-commentators.

Whelan must be the most negative and downbeat man to ever hold a microphone at a sporting event. He whinges his way through most games....anyone would think its a penance for him just to attend some of the biggest footballing occasions in the world!

Houghton - although usually factually correct - is just as surly and has a really annoying habit of shouting almost aggressively if a defender makes a mistake
(2) thanks from:
15-07-2018, 22:03   #592

This post has been deleted.
Thanks from:
15-07-2018, 22:19   #593
Ol' Donie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
Hamilton has had a shocker of a tournament!

Even today he thought Mbappe was Giroud.
Apart from skin colour, height, build and the way they move I suppose they would easy to mix up!!
Was that the time when he corrected himself?
15-07-2018, 22:39   #594
Agricola

I can't bare Houghton. He's way too negative and is obsessed with berating players for what they should be doing. It's as if singing the praises of a good player or good play is not as critical as pointing out errors. I suppose it's the dour Scot in him!
Ronnie isn't as bad but not great either.
My favourite co commentator for the titan that is George Hamilton would have to be Beglin. They're just a jaunty pair who seem to get on well together and are on the same wavelength when it comes to commentary.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-07-2018, 22:44   #595

This post has been deleted.
16-07-2018, 01:10   #596
Noelmcgov28

RTE need to get rid of a huge chunk of the panel and commentators.

Hamilton made more mistakes today than goals.

Dunphy and Brady were painful to listen to this year. Should really call it a day.

The only good pundits were Kevin Doyle, Didi, Andrews and Sadlier.

Since Bill and John Giles left the panel the banter and the discussions aren't the same with Eamon and Liam.

Seriously need newer fresher faces who actually know about the modern game.
Thanks from:
16-07-2018, 09:56   #597

Not RTE, but does anyone ever see Paddy Mulligan on TV3 in the mornings. He's probably the most clueless person on Irish TV. He gets everything wrong, and I mean everything.
16-07-2018, 11:10   #598
Cork Boy 53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy jr View Post
Not RTE, but does anyone ever see Paddy Mulligan on TV3 in the mornings. He's probably the most clueless person on Irish TV. He gets everything wrong, and I mean everything.
Yes during the season he is on TV3 with Shane "the Mullet" Byrne. Some combination.
Forum Closed