Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more. The Switch absolutely is a mid generation revision. It's a Wii U made portable, it plays Wii U level games. The Switch games could play on Wii U but Nintendo need to shift hardware in order to sell games.

Now you could say that had the Wii U been successful, then the Switch wouldn't exist. 4 years(it wasn't really 4 years) was not how long people or Nintendo envisaged the Wii U living back in 2012.

But I'm thinking in an alternate reality had the Wii U succeeded, the Switch could have existed, it may in fact have been one of Nintendo's plan. But it wouldn't have been called the Switch, it would have been something like Wii U Portable. A mid generation revamp to get even more people buying the Wii U and attract the handheld gamers into the fray as well as having a 720p screen on the go. It would play all the Wii U games and have all the Wii U's functions. It would of course use cartridges but they'd be no different than the disc games. The hybrid idea was talked about before Wii U came out. They may even have released a 720p gamepad as well.

But the Wii/U brand is toxic so it was decided to start with a clean slate, plus there was enough confusion going from Wii to Wii U. And because it started anew it could do things a bit different than Wii U like bumping up the graphics slightly in docked mode, funny that the Switch performs at Wii U level in handheld mode. Abandon the dual screen idea for one. Come up with the Joy-Con idea instead of the handheld being one solid piece. You can see the Switch is an evolved Wii U minus the toxicity.

That is the biggest load of cobblers I've read in a while.
    I'd take each "point" one by one but, really, it's all nonsense.
    Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

There was no decision to make regarding cartridges. Nintendo have been using them for 30+ years. Discs were a non runner for this handheld. The only difference is the size of the cartridges in terms of data storage capacity. Technology now lets them use far bigger sizes at far cheaper rates than in previous generations. The Switch isn't a console.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That is the biggest load of cobblers I've read in a while.
    I'd take each "point" one by one but, really, it's all nonsense.
    Very disappointing.

Well we've one thing in common, that's how I felt reading your earlier statement. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well we've one thing in common, that's how I felt reading your earlier statement. :D

?

My earlier statement was that it isn't a mid gen update, because it isn't.
    It's objectively not.
    It's an entirely new piece of hardware, with an entirely new software environment.
    They may port to it, and those games may look similar, but so did the PS3 ports to the ps4 and no one considered that a "hardware update" because it wasn't.
    It's a marked stretch of language to suggest the Switch is a updated WiiU, and simply false.

To be honest, before your time on this forum, the kind of people who posted that type of comment were people out to generate negative reactions, I'd hope that's not your objective here, but be aware you are keeping strange bedfellows with such statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There was no decision to make regarding cartridges. Nintendo have been using them for 30+ years. Discs were a non runner for this handheld. The only difference is the size of the cartridges in terms of data storage capacity. Technology now lets them use far bigger sizes at far cheaper rates than in previous generations. The Switch isn't a console.

Does that mean the Wii U wasn't a console either considering they are supposedly the same power and I can play both on my TV?

No console 'revision' ever has had a change of playable media, just one of the reasons it's not a 'revision'. It's interesting to see the lengths you go to try and undermine the Switch though, the bitterness of the Wii U doth linger I think. It's a shame really, I enjoy a lot of your posts but the Switch hate with zero use is just quite strange imo.

I woke up today having enjoyed using my Switch, now I find out it's just a mid generation revision and not even a console :pac:

In the end, no hard feelings just very much disagree with you.

• Advertisement

I brought the Switch with me on a trip for a few days.
    It was great craic, during a day of interminable rain, to play an hour of Arms with my son, an hour of Thumper as well as being a Divine Beast in BotW.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Sligs has made his feelings on the Switch abundantly clear in the past, and while I don't think this is deliberately trolling I do feel there's an element of him sexing up those objections to make a point. But, dear Cidey, let's not say things we can't take back. Don't drop the F-bomb.

I see the Switch less as the WiiU's mid-life crisis and more as a bastard lovechild born of a night of unspeakable passion and violence 'twixt WiiU and 3DS, embodying the hope of all that was great about it's parents but with that niggling worry that, like a bald patch or diabetes there's some trouble in the basic genetics. The lack of backwards compatibility confirms it's status as something new though, it's a cleanish break.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Banjo wrote: »
    Sligs has made his feelings on the Switch abundantly clear in the past, and while I don't think this is deliberately trolling I do feel there's an element of him sexing up those objections to make a point. But, dear Cidey, let's not say things we can't take back. Don't drop the F-bomb.

I see the Switch less as the WiiU's mid-life crisis and more as a bastard lovechild born of a night of unspeakable passion and violence 'twixt WiiU and 3DS, embodying the hope of all that was great about it's parents but with that niggling worry that, like a bald patch or diabetes there's some trouble in the basic genetics. The lack of backwards compatibility confirms it's status as something new though, it's a cleanish break.

'Cleanish break'......I like that. It's like a more conservative tagline version of 'You're playing with power'

Damn, I've both.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It is a console, and it is a new generation (of Nintendo hardware). To say anything else is ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It would play all the Wii U games and have all the Wii U's functions. It would of course use cartridges but they'd be no different than the disc games.

If they changed the software type then it wouldn't have been a revision.

Just look at Sony and MS to see what a revision is.

I look at it as a Super Wii U. Kind of similar but better in almost every way.

Pac1Man wrote: »

How can you say it's better in almost every way? It doesn't have:

~ a browser
    ~ Virtual Console
    ~ Miiverse
    ~ Netflix
    ~ decent memory storage(the same as Wii U)
    ~ backwards compatibility
    ~ decent battery life(official high capacity battery)
    ~ ability to change the battery yourself
    ~ a microphone
    ~ a camera
    ~ a D pad on the standard controller
    ~ ability to transfer saves
    ~ cheaper peripherals
    ~ free online gaming from next year
    ~ Youtube
    ~ a second screen
    ~ normal voice chat.

Pac1Man wrote: »

It's a generational shift from the WiiU to the Switch, as the GC was from the N64, as the GBA was from the GB, as the Superfamicom was to the Famicom.

I notice you're avoiding the GC to the Wii, interestingly - if ever there was an argument for a Revision, that surely was it, wiimotes notwithstanding.

~ a browser
    ~ Virtual Console
    ~ Miiverse
    ~ Netflix
    ~ decent memory storage(the same as Wii U)
    ~ backwards compatibility
    ~ decent battery life(official high capacity battery)
    ~ ability to change the battery yourself
    ~ a microphone
    ~ a camera
    ~ a D pad on the standard controller
    ~ ability to transfer saves
    ~ cheaper peripherals
    ~ free online gaming from next year
    ~ Youtube
    ~ a second screen
    ~ normal voice chat.
    So you're saying it's nothing like the Wii U? So it's less of an interation and more of... say.... a completely different system? :D

Of the things you've mentioned, only the D-Pad can be argued to be an essential.

Cheaper peripherals is an odd thing to mention. First party peripherals have never been cheap for Ninty products - look at the wii U pro controller, or hell the 10 year old Wiimote!- and it's still very early days for 3rd party knockoffs.

No 2nd screen and Paid-for Online are in line with the other major home consoles. A fixed battery is standard for moderate to high-end electronics these days (and is possibly driven by shipping regulations and the resultant labelling a removable battery might get you - have to look into that). Backwards compatibility is a moot point given the lack of hte 2nd screen. I'm not opening my Browser/Netflix based pandora's box.

Miiverse? Really?

Look, the Switch isn't perfect. I know it. You know it. It doesn't break your WiiU if you bring it in to your house, but it does make you not care if your WiiU is broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It's a generational shift from the WiiU to the Switch, as the GC was from the N64, as the GBA was from the GB, as the Superfamicom was to the Famicom.

I agree. I meant from NES to SNES. That's were my Super came in. :)

How can you say it's better in almost every way? It doesn't have...

It's seems like it's not the console or the company for you then. A change might be good; different perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

~ a browser ...Thank **** i want to play games ..on the wii u i just browsed :rolleyes:
    ~ Virtual Console ...it will come you saw their announcement on that thing they are rolling out
    ~ Miiverse meh ....i dont even know what miiverse is :pac:
    ~ Netflix meh again see browser
    ~ decent memory storage(the same as Wii U) again it has enough as you said earlier memory is cheap these days
    ~ backwards compatibility ...most new consoles dont have this either ! i have games on the 360 that i doubt will get ported i mean transfered to the xbone
    ~ decent battery life(official high capacity battery) have had no issues here .maybe if your browsing alot you might need more battery life :pac:
    ~ ability to change the battery yourself see above
    ~ a microphone thank god
    ~ a camera see above
    ~ a D pad on the standard controller it kinda does just slightly different .who really uses the dpad much anymore ?
    ~ ability to transfer saves if it did i'd probably not us it anyway !
    ~ cheaper peripherals new gen is never cheaper
    ~ free online gaming from next year ??? is online gaming really gaming when you are the only one left playing :pac: also no other consolesonline is free
    ~ Youtube again see browser
    ~ a second screen :rolleyes:
    ~ normal voice chat. again thank god ! its uncomfortable enough on the other consoles to be playing against 10 year old and it does have an app for this doesnt it !

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The only thing I miss from that list is the ability to transfer saves via either memory card or an online service. Currently, if I break or lose my switch, my Zelda save is gone. That's not acceptable in this day and age.

Free online gaming isn't sustainable. It's been paid for years on other platforms, and Nintendo hardly set the world on fire with their free offering. If it doesn't improve when paid, that's a separate issue.

D-Pad can't be an option due to the design of the joy cons. It's a compromise.

As for apps like YouTube, Netflix etc, it's firstly a games console. Really, everyone has a smart phone at this stage, if not a tablet. I don't need these things on it. It's not going to replace my Xbox as a media centre, but I definitely use my Switch more for games at the moment.

The battery life is very decent. Yeah, full games net you about 2-3 hours, but indie games like Isaac, Oceanhorn, and a few others, I've been close to 6 hours. Plus the suspend option barely affects battery. I dropped from 64% to 59% after 5 days on suspend. Turned it on and immediately back where I left off.

Sliegeach, you may eloquently put across your point, but time after time, you're stretching. If I try really hard enough, I can find fault with anything. It may be just your expectations are both high and unrealistic, and you want Nintendo to strive to be the best they can be, and I personally do question a number of their decisions, but I recognize that real world factors impact there, where you don't seem to.

Meanwhile PS4 and XB1 are still here. Nintendo have had 2 go's at this generation. €700 later and it's still basically the same power(same crappy 32GB's of memory storage too) and 3rd party support is just as bad. That's good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

@chrislad - Yay... a voice of reason. :)

I notice you're avoiding the GC to the Wii, interestingly - if ever there was an argument for a Revision, that surely was it, wiimotes notwithstanding.

I've talked about that before. We all know the jokes about 2 Gamecubes stuck together. The Wii remote was originally going to be a Gamecube peripheral. But it was too late and like the Wii U, Nintendo seen the Gamecube as a failure. Better to start afresh. The Wii allowed for things like a browser, Mii's, Virtual Console, etc that Gamecube wouldn't have been able to do. But in terms of power, the Wii U to Switch feels very much like Gamecube to Wii.

The Wii wasn't a huge gamble for them. It was kind of an experiment I feel, and it worked. Nintendo had the DS should it have failed. If the Switch fails? It doesn't have the 3DS, that's coming to the end of its life. The Switch is the be all and end all. They can't afford to let this fail. Still, you'd wonder what they're at in some regards.

I've likewise talked about how Nintendo could only afford to save either the 3DS or the Wii U. They chose the 3DS. If I was in their shoes I'd do the same but I can still be p1$$ed off as a consumer. They f***ed up, not me. I gave them all the support and it feels like we've been given an almighty kick in the balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

get over it !! :pac:

geotrig wrote: »
    get over it !! :pac:

This comment and your last says you can't be taken seriously.

I know you're hurting... but you have to let the pain go or your life is going to be like the Movie "Jacob's Ladder" but with more Goombas and Yoshis.

They still have the option of a 3DS replacement in a year and a half, two years with 2 screens, something like the power of the Switch split between them with more battery life. Imagine how "butthurt" all the Switch owners will feel then! They could even release a dual screen Switch... with a bastardised franken-screen attachment triples the depth of the original system while adding a battery pack to the back and a top screen clamshell...

I feel it anything new is coming down the line in a couple of years it'll be a dedicated home Switch with a significant boost in power. The Switch will be their portable, it is their portable. Nintendo just won't admit though because of 3DS.

No, that's a good example of new hardware that was, in fact, more like a hardware revision/update, and serves to demonstrate why the WiiU -> Switch is not such a thing.
    It's simply wrong to suggest the Switch is a hardware update, end of.

Meanwhile PS4 and XB1 are still here. Nintendo have had 2 go's at this generation. €700 later and it's still basically the same power(same crappy 32GB's of memory storage too) and 3rd party support is just as bad. That's good going.

No, the Switch and WiiU are nothing alike, so stop flogging that one please.

If you dislike Nintendo so much why bother owning one?
    Again and again you declare how their hardware disappoints you, how their software disappoints you, is it not time to just move onto a format that aligns more with your expectations?
    I've talked about that before. We all know the jokes about 2 Gamecubes stuck together. The Wii remote was originally going to be a Gamecube peripheral. But it was too late and like the Wii U, Nintendo seen the Gamecube as a failure. Better to start afresh. The Wii allowed for things like a browser, Mii's, Virtual Console, etc that Gamecube wouldn't have been able to do. But in terms of power, the Wii U to Switch feels very much like Gamecube to Wii.

The Wii wasn't a huge gamble for them. It was kind of an experiment I feel, and it worked. Nintendo had the DS should it have failed. If the Switch fails? It doesn't have the 3DS, that's coming to the end of its life. The Switch is the be all and end all. They can't afford to let this fail. Still, you'd wonder what they're at in some regards.

I've likewise talked about how Nintendo could only afford to save either the 3DS or the Wii U. They chose the 3DS. If I was in their shoes I'd do the same but I can still be p1$$ed off as a consumer. They f***ed up, not me. I gave them all the support and it feels like we've been given an almighty kick in the balls.

You can be p1ssed off, and you've made those feelings clear.
    But you really don't speak for the majority out there, with the Switch being a sales success and the games the same.
    You might feel that you have received a kick to the nethers, but not many others appear to agree with you.

No, that's a good example of new hardware that was, in fact, more like a hardware revision/update, and serves to demonstrate why the WiiU -> Switch is not such a thing.
    It's simply wrong to suggest the Switch is a hardware update, end of.

You just agreed with me. Why did you start with "No"?

The argument for the Switch as a hardware update is more about concepts then the electronics (in my opinion, but I'm playing devil's advocate here) - the initial tests and impressions put it at roughly the power of a WiiU and the form factor is like a Wii U that's not tethered to a base unit. Conceptually surely you can see how there's a case to be made for the Revisionite school of thought?

Having said that, the public are buying the Switch, that more than anything shows that this is not, in the main, seen as a revision or update of the previous console but as a separate commercial entity. That's something the WiiU always struggled with. If the average man on the street can see it, and we all know how thick they are, surely we can too?

Edit : but for the record, I'm Team Kicked Balls all the way.

Hey - can we divert the subject back to happier things? Got a mail from Amazon US about a Mayflash USB adapter for NES and SNES controllers - are these a new thing? Might be an interesting option for the VC / NESflix whenever it goes live... Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Ninty bring out a USB hub for plugging in Wii-mote-style-plugged accessories (NES and SNES mini, classic controller, classic controller pro and you could probably play a NES game with a nunchuck... )

Concerning happier things,
    I can whole heartedly recommend Jackbox for those with gatherings, it's a lot of fun with people crowded around the Switch.
    Also, there was a suggestion that the game was too US centric to be playable here, but it's not the case.

Looking forward to Redout right now, should be released at the end of August.
    A nice Wipeout alternative, looking a little better than Fast RMX too.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

I'm relatively new to posting in the Nintendo forum but for those here who feel like they were shafted by Nintendo, may I ask why?
    The Wii U came out in 2012 but 3rd parties didn't ever want to know. Still, it has some absolutely brilliant games. They still work, don't they? It's not like they were taken back from you when the Switch came along.
    Since the NES, Nintendo have released a new home system every 5/6 years so a replacement was coming regardless of the success of the Wii U. It's not like there was still a chance that sales would sky rocket at this stage and that third parties would then get on board. Wii U failed commercially, and financially it was a disaster for the company. They had to do something to try stop the rot. How long could they expect to live off the 3DS revenue? Had they not brought out the Switch they'd be sinking deeper financially with every quarter. No one would want that to continue to the point that they had to consider being a software-only developer, right?
    The gaming world needs Nintendo being successful and being innovative with their hardware risks. Anyone really believe the next gen Sony & Microsoft machines will be anything other than upgraded processors and RAM? Unless maybe they borrow some ideas from Nintendo.
    Think they're a rip-off? They're selling the Switch for $43 more than it costs to make it. That excludes other costs like R&D, advertising, shipping and wages to name all that immediately come to mind. Yes, the dock is way more expensive than it needs to be but there are other third party options coming and a second dock is not a must-have anyway. They are a business, they exist to make money for their shareholders. To accuse them of being greedy (and ignoring the others) seems a bit narrow minded and biased maybe.

I own a Wii U and still play MK8 on it. It has some of the best games on the market, some of which can be bought at serious bargain prices now. Enjoy your games and your console, they are still as good as they were on March 2nd. If one day Nintendo folded as a company, I honestly think the gaming world would be a much more boring, uninspired place. We should thank our lucky stars they give us a different option TBH

• Advertisement

The Wii U lasted 4 years. The Wii lasted 6 years. But in reality they were both dead long before that. And why? Weak hardware compared to the competition. 3rd parties saying we're not putting up with this. Where are they now?

The XBOX360 came out a year before the Wii and was still getting major releases a year after the Wii U launched. The Wii U had far better support than Switch currently has. They did want to know but quickly jumped ship. Nintendo did nothing to save the sinking ship so why should they? It's not their console. I said the Wii U was doomed before it launched and it came to pass. The Switch is a hard one to figure out because it's a mix but ultimately I think it'll be a failure too. It'll do better than Wii U. That's not saying much though. Its destiny isn't completely written unlike Wii U's. Price and 3rd party support are crucial. Otherwise it's like Wii U, great 1st party games, some indies and a few 3rd party games.

And what is the innovation of the Switch? It has 2 and I'm not mad on either. Maybe people can tell me innovations I'm missing. 1 is HD Rumble. Don't care and don't really hear anyone talk about it. It's a forgettable gimmick. And 2 is two controllers on the Switch. But you don't really end up with any controller being great. It's got compromise written all over it. You've 2 little controllers that are cramped and need a grip to make it more comfortable and to press the shoulder buttons easier. And the main controller for one person is again compromised with no D pad, button placement and a grip needed to play on the TV. Or you can spend €80 more for a normal controller.

It's very hard to put a number on its total hardware sales. Could be 25 million, could be 50 million but I doubt it. And there are some talking of Wii like numbers. Not a chance. If I was to guess I'd say 25-30 million right now. It's a very Japanese orientated device and it getting its real launch in the Japanese Direct was telling. It'll do best in Japan, they go nuts for handhelds. I think it'll last 4 years like Wii U and won't ever get proper 3rd party support, some may dip their toe in but they'll quickly leave.

It's just my opinion, not fact. So nobody need go mad or get defensive. And I'd love to be completely wrong.

Advertisement