19-06-2017, 16:46   #46

Indeed, you seem quite confused about the whole thing.
Advertisement
19-06-2017, 17:07   #47
Penn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohnson View Post
Thats what I said at the start when I said Venom wont appear with Steve or Stark. He'll be tied to Peter only but that doesnt mean that Peter is warped through into bizaro MCU. Venom like Quake/Mr. Hyde/Lorelei wont be acknowledged outside of his own appearances.

Like Lorelei IS an Asgardian but she has never been acknowledged in any way shape or form in any of the Thor films OR the Avengers films. She is still an MCU character due to her presence in the MCU programme Agents of Shield. Venom will get the same treatment.

This appears somehow confusing. Meh. Like I said DoFP lives on still lol.

Gluck
The difference, and admittedly it's a fairly small difference, is that Quake/Mr.Hyde/Lorelei/SHIELD et al can appear and/or be referenced in the films, even though it's extremely unlikely they ever will. Venom can't. Even if in Thor they wanted to reference Lorelei as an easter egg, they could mention "other Asgardians" who have come to Earth etc. But they're not really going to be able to mention "alien symbiotes" or similar for Venom because Marvel aren't going to want to publicise movies they're not involved in (and likely won't be able to legally anyway as it's hinting at a character which they don't have rights for)

I just think people's justification for considering them to be two separate universes with a common link between them is perfectly valid. Not that Peter travels between universes or anything, but just that the Marvel Universe with their Peter/Spider-Man is one universe, and the Sony Spider-Verse with their Peter/Spider-Man is a different universe, hence why there's no cross-over.
19-06-2017, 18:09   #48
pjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Wreck View Post
Indeed, you seem quite confused about the whole thing.

Edit: just noticed you mod here.
19-06-2017, 19:13   #49
brianregan09

Are we sure they don't have rights to him though , Because with the Home Coming Trilogy that's coming and 100% set in the MCU won't Marvel have rights to the villains in that Vulture and Shocker in Homecoming .....so I'm sure they'd be under the same umbrella as Venom as a Spider Villain

So both Sony and Marvel Studios can use them I reckon
Thanks from:
19-06-2017, 20:40   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianregan09 View Post
Are we sure they don't have rights to him though , Because with the Home Coming Trilogy that's coming and 100% set in the MCU won't Marvel have rights to the villains in that Vulture and Shocker in Homecoming .....so I'm sure they'd be under the same umbrella as Venom as a Spider Villain

So both Sony and Marvel Studios can use them I reckon
The deal they have is for Spider-man to appear in 4 MCU films but only Spider-man. It doesn't give them the rights to other characters used in that trilogy for their own use. Part of the deal is that Feige will executive producer Homecoming and, it seems that he has also agreed to allow some use of MCU properties too (hence certain MCU characters appearing in Homecoming) but neither Sony nor Marvel Studios then retains the right to use the other studio's properties independently.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-06-2017, 21:22   #51
Brief_Lives

I just read that Carnage is going to be the big bad in this Venom movie...
Thanks from:
21-06-2017, 21:57   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brief_Lives View Post
Feels like Sony are pulling a DC...
21-06-2017, 22:59   #53
Lithium93_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brief_Lives View Post
Quote:
Feels like Sony are pulling a DC...
I got a bad feeling about this..
Thanks from:
21-06-2017, 23:02   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium93_ View Post
I got a bad feeling about this..
I try to keep an open mind but they don't make it easy...
Advertisement
21-06-2017, 23:08   #55
Lithium93_

Quote:
I try to keep an open mind but they don't make it easy...
Sony are gonna cram in as much as possible, a la Spider-Man 3, which didn't exactly work for Spider-Man 3 a decade ago.
21-06-2017, 23:43   #56
Agent Coulson

Office meeting at Sony..

Who do we own the rights too?

Ok let's put them all in this except Spider Man as Marvel have him on loan.

But let's make it all happen in the Marvel/Disney universe so we can share off their success.

Great ideas everyone pay rises for all.
22-06-2017, 08:38   #57
Penn

I mean in fairness, who else are Sony going to pick as the villain? I just assumed from the start it was going to be Carnage. Makes a lot of sense imo.
22-06-2017, 09:10   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
I mean in fairness, who else are Sony going to pick as the villain? I just assumed from the start it was going to be Carnage. Makes a lot of sense imo.
I just kinda feel like they should build to Carnage as the big bad for Venom. I don't know where they'll go after the first film...

What would be interesting would be to have Venom be the villain, facing off against a hero for most of the film (someone unexpected like Silk or Scarlet Spider) and by the end, being defeated by the hero, only to be then tamed by Brock himself, leading to him being the hero of the follow-up movies, where he can face Carnage.
22-06-2017, 10:09   #59
Penn

Quote:
I just kinda feel like they should build to Carnage as the big bad for Venom. I don't know where they'll go after the first film...

What would be interesting would be to have Venom be the villain, facing off against a hero for most of the film (someone unexpected like Silk or Scarlet Spider) and by the end, being defeated by the hero, only to be then tamed by Brock himself, leading to him being the hero of the follow-up movies, where he can face Carnage.
I think the only way to really sell Venom as a hero/anti-hero is to have him as a monster, but one who is needed to take down a bigger monster, and that's Carnage. It gives Venom a stake in the fight, ties their origins in together (which means no need to try introduce someone like Silk or Scarlet Spider), and Carnage doesn't have to be killed off, you could still have him behind the scenes in future films recovering before attacking again.

I think Venom is going to be a hard sell to the audience, even with the Spider-Man tie-in. Their best shot is a villain more recognisable and easier to explain without having comics knowledge, and given Cletus/Carnage's crazy persona, the right actor doing it could make people excited about the performance.
22-06-2017, 10:59   #60
Brief_Lives

About Silk... possible spoiler... Spoiler: isn´t Silk being introduced in Spiderman:Homecoming...?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion