Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-05-2017, 08:48   #16
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Wreck View Post
Not sure we'll get Miles Morales anytime soon. I read somewhere that part of the Sony/Marvel deal was that Sony stipulated that he be a straight, white male. If they went so far as to insist on that, I think it kinda speaks to their intentions.


And people say WB are bad.
Ben Gadot is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-05-2017, 09:26   #17
Doctor DooM
Moderator
 
Doctor DooM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 25,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Gadot View Post


And people say WB are bad.
From the scuttle butt I've heard Sony NEED Spider-man to hit. ASM2 and Ghostbusters failing have left a huge gap where there summer tent post should be.

Considering Pascal's tendency towards female/ colour centric leads (she did ghostbusters and wanted to do something similar with super heroes in a film called glass ceiling) that'd indicate they wanted the new Spider-Man to be super safe.
Doctor DooM is offline  
23-05-2017, 09:29   #18
Bacchus
Registered User
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor DooM View Post
From the scuttle butt I've heard Sony NEED Spider-man to hit. ASM2 and Ghostbusters failing have left a huge gap where there summer tent post should be.

Considering Pascal's tendency towards female/ colour centric leads (she did ghostbusters and wanted to do something similar with super heroes in a film called glass ceiling) that'd indicate they wanted the new Spider-Man to be super safe.
Are they getting a cut of the box-office so? What's it to them if Marvel do a great job with Homecoming? Are we in some sort of catch-22 situation where if Homecoming is a hit, Sony will ride that wave (and likely crash it), but if it gets a lukewarm reception, they... plough on anyway to hold on to rights?
Bacchus is offline  
23-05-2017, 09:50   #19
Penn
Registered User
 
Penn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 26,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor DooM View Post
Considering Pascal's tendency towards female/ colour centric leads (she did ghostbusters and wanted to do something similar with super heroes in a film called glass ceiling)
As subtle as the 'b' in 'subtle' 'brick'.

As far as I've read, it seems Sony want to set up their own 'Spider-Verse' of films but likely separate from the MCU, including the MCU version of Spider-Man (because they can't cross their own films over with the MCU films). So they're likely going to do a bunch of films (Venom, Black Cat/Silver Sable, maybe try Sinister Six again) possibly with references to Spider-Man but without directly including him.
Penn is offline  
Thanks from:
23-05-2017, 10:05   #20
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Are they getting a cut of the box-office so? What's it to them if Marvel do a great job with Homecoming? Are we in some sort of catch-22 situation where if Homecoming is a hit, Sony will ride that wave (and likely crash it), but if it gets a lukewarm reception, they... plough on anyway to hold on to rights?
More or less.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Weird-Specifics-Marvel-Sony-Secret-Spider-Man-Deal-69718.html

http://collider.com/spider-man-homecoming-2-mcu-marvel-sony/

Immediate financial interests in Sony's favour while they can pull the plug at a certain point. Marvel Studios benefit comes out of the non solo ventures.

Last edited by Ben Gadot; 23-05-2017 at 10:08.
Ben Gadot is offline  
Advertisement
23-05-2017, 10:21   #21
Doctor DooM
Moderator
 
Doctor DooM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 25,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Are they getting a cut of the box-office so? What's it to them if Marvel do a great job with Homecoming? Are we in some sort of catch-22 situation where if Homecoming is a hit, Sony will ride that wave (and likely crash it), but if it gets a lukewarm reception, they... plough on anyway to hold on to rights?
Again I am not a movie person and this is based on scuttlebutt I've read, but the thinking is that if Spider-Man hits big with homecoming Sony will be in a very strong position for negotiating either a return to Marvel for billions or they'll keep a hand on the franchise and make tonnes after Marvel's done the hard work.

If it doesn't work..? Well, Sony don't really lose anything, as as long as a new Spider-Man film is made it's thought their license extends for 5 years. They get ANOTHER shot at the franchise.

I believe the box office for Homecoming and it's sequel is shared. Again, rumoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
As subtle as the 'b' in 'subtle' 'brick'.

As far as I've read, it seems Sony want to set up their own 'Spider-Verse' of films but likely separate from the MCU, including the MCU version of Spider-Man (because they can't cross their own films over with the MCU films). So they're likely going to do a bunch of films (Venom, Black Cat/Silver Sable, maybe try Sinister Six again) possibly with references to Spider-Man but without directly including him.
I like to think I'm quite the lefty liberal type and I certainly don't like my films pasty and penis only. Even I think Pascal is a bit of a pain in the arse

Last edited by Doctor DooM; 23-05-2017 at 10:24.
Doctor DooM is offline  
25-05-2017, 16:28   #22
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,758
Guardian blog that while disagreeable at times (I was not a fan of Taboo), it gets the crux of things: Tom Hardy will at least elevate this risky venture through pure talent.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/fil...rhero-universe
Ben Gadot is offline  
26-05-2017, 12:41   #23
pjohnson
Registered User
 
pjohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 16,407
I think Eddie should be remembered as Topher Grace and forgotten. If Hardy was playing Flash Thompson I'd be far more excited.
pjohnson is online now  
Thanks from:
26-05-2017, 13:20   #24
Brief_Lives
Registered User
 
Brief_Lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohnson View Post
I think Eddie should be remembered as Topher Grace and forgotten. If Hardy was playing Flash Thompson I'd be far more excited.
I won´t hear anything against big Joe Mang...
Brief_Lives is offline  
Advertisement
26-05-2017, 13:47   #25
Penn
Registered User
 
Penn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 26,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohnson View Post
I think Eddie should be remembered as Topher Grace and forgotten. If Hardy was playing Flash Thompson I'd be far more excited.
Yeah the only way I can see the film going story-wise is if they do the Flash Thompson version. Makes more sense considering it's a solo movie most likely without Spider-Man at all.
Penn is offline  
26-05-2017, 19:12   #26
Doctor DooM
Moderator
 
Doctor DooM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 25,361
Army no legs special ops Venom would be a great turn indeed!
Doctor DooM is offline  
18-06-2017, 18:54   #27
Agent Coulson
Registered User
 
Agent Coulson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 48,677
Credit to MilesMorales1 who posted this in the Film forum the will take place in the Spiderman Homecoming Universe aka the MCU.

https://twitter.com/comicfade/status/876443828370255874
Agent Coulson is offline  
18-06-2017, 19:34   #28
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,758
Having Tom Hardy at their disposal in the MCU was too good to pass up, though it raises questions about Eddie Brock's origin now as Venom.
Ben Gadot is offline  
18-06-2017, 20:44   #29
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 15,834
I dunno, feels like marketing double-speak to me. I don't think we'll see Venom in the MCU.
Nervous Wreck is offline  
18-06-2017, 20:47   #30
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Wreck View Post
I dunno, feels like marketing double-speak to me. I don't think we'll see Venom in the MCU.
The good thing is that MCU have the right to not use him I think. They can say he's part of it, doesn't mean they have to use him.
Ben Gadot is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet