Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Game Pass

• 28-02-2017 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭

Seems MS are starting their own EA Access style subscription services which will give you access to over 100 games, a 20% discount on games and 10% off dlc for titles currently on the Game Pass. Seems interesting but the wording makes it look like games will be rotated instead of being on the Game Pass permanently.

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/games/xbox-game-pass

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Seems MS are starting their own EA Access style subscription services which will give you access to over 100 games, a 20% discount on games and 10% off dlc for titles currently on the Game Pass. Seems interesting but the wording makes it look like games will be rotated instead of being on the Game Pass permanently.

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/games/xbox-game-pass

It's currently available to alpha testers. Downloading the app gives you a free month to test out the service. There are currently 21 games available to testers, a mix of Games with Gold and older 360 games, along with a few recent Microsoft releases.

Here's the list:

A kingdom for keflings
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Comic Jumper
    Dark Void
    Defense Grid 2
    Gears of War: Judgement
    Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
    Halo: Spartan Assault
    Hexic 2
    Jetpac Refueled
    Kameo
    Max: The Curse of the Brotherhood
    Monday night Combat
    Ms. Splosion Man
    OF: Dragon Rising
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Sacred 3
    Sam & Max Beyond time
    Sunset Overdrive
    The Maw
    Viva Pinata

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Good to see that the Game Pass is not limited to a US-only service.
    It will be interesting to see if the currency conversion will be $9.99 = €9.99 per month.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Good to see that the Game Pass is not limited to a US-only service.
    It will be interesting to see if the currency conversion will be $9.99 = €9.99 per month.

Almost guaranteed i'd say. Think it's the same for a Groove Music pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Almost guaranteed i'd say. Think it's the same for a Groove Music pass.

Agreed. I wonder how long each game will stay on the pass for as I doubt that they will rotate all the titles each month, I'd reckon a rotation of 5-10 games each month would probably be the usual.

Given I've likely played most of the stuff or don't want to play the rest I'd likely treat this the same way I do netflicks. Get a month here and there when theres something there I want. Otherwise it's pretty expensive Vs EA Access. Might be worth it if they threw in Groove for that price.

Also slightly worries me in terms of the future of Games with gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Enfilade wrote: »

Also slightly worries me in terms of the future of Games with gold.

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/836598065473581058

Yeah, in the FAQ, it highlights that you don't need to be Xbox Live Gold member to take advantage of Game Pass - other than for Multiplayer elements.

I'm in the Alpha ring, but I'll be waiting a bit before using up my free month. Those initial games aren't worth wasting the free month on :)

Another interesting one from the FAQ:
    Q: Will Xbox Game Pass be available for Xbox 360?
    A: Xbox Game Pass will only be available on Xbox One and Windows 10 devices. While some Xbox 360 backwards compatible games will be included in the Xbox Game Pass, those titles will not be available on the Xbox 360 console via your subscription.
    (Emphasis added)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm in the Alpha ring, but I'll be waiting a bit before using up my free month. Those initial games aren't worth wasting the free month on :)

I get the feeling that they're not going to change, we'll have to pay for the rest once they all go live.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Thinking more in terms of the age and quality of the GwG stuff.

• Advertisement

Phil Spencer says that "Xbox Live Gold members will also be receiving exclusive access to Xbox Game Pass prior to the program launching to the broader community.". So here's to hoping that everyone will get a month free trial, like Hulu or Netflix often do to get people to sign up.

Of course there'll be some enterprising individual who will try and play all 100 games within the free month. Heaven help their download cap and lack of sleep for that month. :D

Phil Spencer says that "Xbox Live Gold members will also be receiving exclusive access to Xbox Game Pass prior to the program launching to the broader community.". So here's to hoping that everyone will get a month free trial, like Hulu or Netflix often do to get people to sign up.

Of course there'll be some enterprising individual who will try and play all 100 games within the free month. Heaven help their download cap and lack of sleep for that month. :D

Who needs to eat and sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

What the heck is sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The more I look at the lineup (from the list above and the promo image), the more underwhelmed I am by it.

It looks for the most part to be a way of having a second crack at any games with gold you might have missed previously.
    It'd be fantastic if this is your first console and you're a student with hours of time to kill, but for me , I'd probably be able to buy the actual games I'd want to play cheaper than €120 for the yearly sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,753 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The more I look at the lineup (from the list above and the promo image), the more underwhelmed I am by it.

It looks for the most part to be a way of having a second crack at any games with gold you might have missed previously.
    It'd be fantastic if this is your first console and you're a student with hours of time to kill, but for me , I'd probably be able to buy the actual games I'd want to play cheaper than €120 for the yearly sub.

When they announced backwards compatibility the majority of games weren't anything to write home about but over time they've developed quite well. I'd expect the same with the Xbox Pass.

As was pointed out on reddit, Gamestops share price dropped 8% or so after the announcement of this, primarily because they think it's going to eat into the second hand market.

Thinking about it, yeah, I could see this eating into the second hand market, if people looking to buy a few second hand games each month, then perhaps they'll look at this and see a lot of value in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

In my 2nd year of EA Access and all I've played is FIFA...

Game pass may also effect their own 'Deals with Gold', as I see Mad Max in their ad for this. I've yet to download it...

As if it wasn't bad enough when GWG had games I bought in a previous sale it'll be a sickener when they start popping up on this program.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Looks like sharing works with this too, so that's good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Everyone will have a different take on this depending on how much they play and what they like.

I doubt a possible €120 a year sub will work for me as I don't get to play that much. With bargains and been mindful of regions I could buy at least 6 games for that price and not be keeping an eye on when they will be rotated.

For heavy gamers who might have missed out on older games I would see it as a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

I think it'll be cool so long as you can sub/unsub by the month like you can with Netflix/Gold etc.

See a few games you've been interested in for a while, join up for a month to try them out, possibly buy a couple at a discount, drop back out....

Though, maybe they'll have something in place like the discounts only being available to 3 month/Annual subscribers...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Probably a bit too expensive for me considering how much I play, think it would work out great for heavy gamers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    I think it'll be cool so long as you can sub/unsub by the month like you can with Netflix/Gold etc.

See a few games you've been interested in for a while, join up for a month to try them out, possibly buy a couple at a discount, drop back out....

Though, maybe they'll have something in place like the discounts only being available to 3 month/Annual subscribers...?

Actually, if they go down the line of offering 1 month codes, It'd make an ideal €10 birthday / christmas present for people.

Preview testers have been given a free month, and the discount is available to them, so I'd say that it'll be available to one month subscriptions.

I can't see them restricting it either, if you're going to buy a game that's in the catalogue, then you've already paid at least a tenner. Any sale that comes out of this will be seen as a massive bonus for Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

I would hope that the mention of rotating out games is just like EA access saying the same but showing no hint of doing it. It looks like great value for a newbie to the Xbox one franchise but I've nearly 200 games in backlog so I'll probably leave it for a while. Hope it does well though

What would be great is, this cloud Microsoft have been talking about facilitated the ability to play the games without the need for downloading or installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

erkifino wrote:
    What would be great is, this cloud Microsoft have been talking about facilitated the ability to play the games without the need for downloading or installing.

Is that not what PlayStation Now is? ...and is (apparently) crap?

I did not know that.

• Advertisement

Essentially, yes. They've got servers that are emulating a PS3 and the game is then streamed over the internet to your device. There's many benefits to doing it this way, but there's also one massive downside.

The latency that it introduces mean that many games are totally unplayable. Even adding a quarter of a second onto a button press means that some games suddenly feel as if you're using the controller while wearing oven gloves.

That's not just a criticism of the PS Now service, that's a criticism of every streaming service. There's just no way to get around it.

Advertisement