Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Nails and eyebrows booked for next Tuesday. So happy :D

After the joy of getting nails/eyebrow appointments, I’m annoyed today with my hairdresser. I rang and left a message on Monday morning but hadn’t heard anything back so rang again today to be told they must have missed my message and have nothing available until the end of June. I’ve been going to them for years, have never complained or been awkward, always on time for my appointments and tip well. Feeling let down by them, they didn’t even offer to put me on a cancellation list. I now need to find a new hairdresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

After the joy of getting nails/eyebrow appointments, I’m annoyed today with my hairdresser. I rang and left a message on Monday morning but hadn’t heard anything back so rang again today to be told they must have missed my message and have nothing available until the end of June. I’ve been going to them for years, have never complained or been awkward, always on time for my appointments and tip well. Feeling let down by them, they didn’t even offer to put me on a cancellation list. I now need to find a new hairdresser.

Nothing at all?! That’s crazy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That’s SUCH bad form. I’d be raging too, and wouldn’t go back as a matter of principle.

I got a call from Salon A today to ask if I wanted an appointment. I felt a tiny hint of guilt as I said “...No, I’m actually okay, thanks”. But feck it, it’s been nearly a week since the announcement was made, so I’d imagine I’d have not gotten booked in for weeks to come even if I’d gone with them. Time is of the essence when it comes to highlights!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Would you consider ringing them again to let them know you are not impressed, after being a loyal customer? And that you are about to walk away.

I would be really annoyed too. I walked away from a hairdresser some years ago, after being refused an appointment, for the second time. I always rang in loads of time, it wasn't like I rang on Friday expecting to be fitted in in a Saturday or anything. Never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

That's disgraceful. If your going to them for years very bad form. I wouldn't jump ship at moment as you will find it very hard to get anywhere as most places are looking after their regulars and rightly so.

I'd ring and ask to speak to manager and explain how long you have been a customer and not happy with the service. Hopefully they will fit you in and you can jump ship after your hair is done!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The end of June?! That is madness!
    You'd almost definitely get a Peter Mark appointment for May as they have so many salons in so many locations. That is a very frustrating experience, and especially disappointing for a long time regular.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got my cut and colour booked for two weeks time, buzzed! My old salon seems to have merged/rebranded with another salon so they did actually contact me in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

appledrop wrote: »
    That's disgraceful. If your going to them for years very bad form. I wouldn't jump ship at moment as you will find it very hard to get anywhere as most places are looking after their regulars and rightly so.

I'd ring and ask to speak to manager and explain how long you have been a customer and not happy with the service. Hopefully they will fit you in and you can jump ship after your hair is done!

It was the owner I was speaking to which is why I feel so aggrieved. I'm on cancellation list for a couple of other salons so hopefully I'll hear something.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Recliner

It was the owner I was speaking to which is why I feel so aggrieved. I'm on cancellation list for a couple of other salons so hopefully I'll hear something.

That's fierce bad form in fairness. Could they not manage a late evening or 2 to accommodate people?
    After the first lockdown my hairdresser contacted all her regulars to make sure they were looked after and even did full days herself even though she had literally just had a baby.
    That's how you keep clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ya my hairdresser closed their online booking system and said she would be making contact with all regulars first. Then once that was done she put up a post on Instagram asking if she had missed anyone to contact her. Then a day later, once she had regulars and missed apps sorted, she reopened her online booking systems. I think that was the fairest way to do things. That’s really bad form of her Meauldsegosha. I hope you manage to get in on a cancellation list somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Same as that.
    Mine looked after regulars first, each time.

I hope you get sorted Meauldsegosha. (I love your user name)!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

I would be really annoyed too. I walked away from a hairdresser some years ago, after being refused an appointment, for the second time. I always rang in loads of time, it wasn't like I rang on Friday expecting to be fitted in in a Saturday or anything. Never went back.

Something similar happened to me. Went to a certain hairdresser for years, she always gave my hair a good seeing to. Havent been to her in about three years and she knows I stopped going to her. In that time Ive been so disappointed with different hairdressers doing damn all with my hair despite showing photos and practically guiding their scissors where to cut etc. This hairsdresser always gave me a good cut and knew what to do with my hair etc and I'd love to go back to her but Im nervous it would be awkward for her. Im so desperate for a good cut and style off her Id be willing to suffer through any awkwardness!

Currently cooking. Overpowering smell of bleach, how I’ve missed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Recliner

Currently cooking. Overpowering smell of bleach, how I’ve missed you.

Me too!!! My throat is sore from talking.
    Took a full hour to put in my colour and hi-lites.

I think it's supposed to be lashing in a bit, but I really don't care..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Rfrip

My hairdressers isn't reopening

To say i am gutted is an understatement. Going there is like therapy for me. Really hope they are all ok.

Rfrip wrote: »

To say i am gutted is an understatement. Going there is like therapy for me. Really hope they are all ok.

Sis you have the worst luck with all of this like wtf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Rfrip wrote: »

Oh no!! <3

Sis you have the worst luck with all of this like wtf!!

Like you have no idea. I just don’t know if I can take anymore!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh no, Rfrip! That's bad luck for you, and of course awful for the staff there.
    Hopefully you get a recommendation for somewhere new from the lads here. :)

Thanks for the support gals :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I can understand your disappointment, but I don’t think you should have assumed a call.
    I haven’t seen any hairdressers advertising that they’re calling long standing clients, just those that had appointment cancelled because of level 5.
    My hairdresser posted on social media that she was calling those that had appointments between xmas and new year. I should’ve got a call, but didn’t. So I rang them. I understand that the last couple of weeks have been hectic for her and some oversights were made.

I got in contact with my hairdresser! Like god love her. Covid broke them. My heart broke for her. It was such a gorge salon.

She is going to do certain people at her home to keep her going so I’m thrilled with that. She’s an amazing hairdresser and I’m so attached to her!!

Got my brows done this morning and knowing il be sorted hair wise, I feel like a new woman!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I got my hair cut today, finally!! I haven't had it cut since October, so I got a good bit chopped off. Feels so light!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I don't have a regular hairdresser, I usually get my hair cut once or twice a year and do my colour myself. Just wondering is anyone in the same boat and does anyone have an idea on how long I could be waiting for an appointment. I am in North County Dublin. I want a complete colour change (husband says it's a midlife crisis!) so am eager to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I don't have a regular hairdresser, I usually get my hair cut once or twice a year and do my colour myself. Just wondering is anyone in the same boat and does anyone have an idea on how long I could be waiting for an appointment. I am in North County Dublin. I want a complete colour change (husband says it's a midlife crisis!) so am eager to get it done.

I think that depends, you'll be waiting longer for a Saturday appointment I'd say than you would be for a Tuesday/Wednesday.if you can be flexible, you'll get in sooner.

I originally wanted a Sat but would have had to wait til mid June, i was lucky to be able to take a half day and get a Friday afternoon in May!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

A good thing about the past 14 months I’d that I’ve worked my way through so many beauty products - hair care, shower gels, various skincare items etc. The only thing I haven’t used much of is make up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I'm the same, not in Dublin but I just looked at the local hairdressers online and they all have online booking so I just picked one and got it done yesterday. Can't get an appointment for my eyebrows for love nor money though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    A good thing about the past 14 months I’d that I’ve worked my way through so many beauty products - hair care, shower gels, various skincare items etc. The only thing I haven’t used much of is make up!!

Same, got through loads of shampoos, shower gels, face creams etc! I also threw out loads of old make up and nail polish that I just know I'll never use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Gah, I left it too late to call my hairdresser, and now I'm on a waiting list for an appointment... :(

I wanted to wait for other customers to have their appointments scheduled for colour, etc. before booking myself in as I felt getting colour re-done will be everyone's main priority

I don't dye my hair, but I'm in bad need of a haircut. I haven't had a haircut since Feb of last year. :o
    My hair is gone so long now it's down to the small of my back (...on a side note, that is such a weird phrase to describe the lower back :pac: )

I don't know whether to try for another salon... or wait out to see if I get a call back....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The foils are in!

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886g52hn25rafwhvzgzhpghs935je7kc9jry14pw336&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Advertisement