Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I'd hate to spend a fortune on one of the compatible SSDs then have to buy an ali express heatsink to keep it cool:P

The thing that worries me the most is the PS5 cooling fan being ramped up,weather its the SSD or other components that might heat up with one installed I don't know,but the console is pretty silent right now for me and I'd hate that to change.

The temp thing was a rumor from awhile ago,if Sony were just upfront with why the feature hasn't landed yet rumors like that wouldn't exist. The fact we're 5 months in and nothing other than "coming soon" has me suspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Days gone was one that I'm enjoying but late to the party.
    I know I should have picked it up but it kept getting pushed to the back of the list.
    I've played a chunk of it now and I'm enjoying it.

However Im not surprised the sequel was shelved.
    Poor reviews on launch people giving it alot of stick after being in development hell.
    Seemed like it was never going to come out.

The SSD not surprised, I would imagine it will be launched/announcement when they have a recommended sad.
    If it's not right it's kinda going to ruin the whole idea of the ps5.

They have sh1t the bed enough lately. Get the SSD expansion right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Tbh, I don't ever see myself expanding the internal storage on the PS5. I have about 8 games currently installed and that's more than enough. Depending on how fast the transfer is for PS5 games from an external drive to the main drive, I reckon that's the route I'll go if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Tbh, I don't ever see myself expanding the internal storage on the PS5. I have about 8 games currently installed and that's more than enough. Depending on how fast the transfer is for PS5 games from an external drive to the main drive, I reckon that's the route I'll go if needed.

Pretty much same for me. I also find the download speeds must be at least 10 times quicker than ps4 so it's quick enough to put a new game onto it with little fuss

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Obviously not a COD man. That thing is monstrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EoinHef wrote: »
    I'd hate to spend a fortune on one of the compatible SSDs then have to buy an ali express heatsink to keep it cool:P

The thing that worries me the most is the PS5 cooling fan being ramped up,weather its the SSD or other components that might heat up with one installed I don't know,but the console is pretty silent right now for me and I'd hate that to change.

The temp thing was a rumor from awhile ago,if Sony were just upfront with why the feature hasn't landed yet rumors like that wouldn't exist. The fact we're 5 months in and nothing other than "coming soon" has me suspicious

You really won't have to buy any heatsink, this rumour is completely without merit.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Obviously not a COD man. That thing is monstrous.

I currently have BlOps3 (112gb), Astroneer, Subnautica, DiRT 5, Rocket League, Destruction All-Stars, The Avengers, Fall Guys and Far Cry Zero Dawn installed. If I need a different game, it means I won't be playing one of those, so I'll just delete what I don't play.

I have mates whose hard drives on the PS4 are full, and their 2 Tb extended is full too. I went through the installed games, he only plays maybe 5 of the 30+ he has installed. Seems pointless tbh! Most of the games still installed haven't been played in over a year.

And as mentioned above, the PS5 download speeds are a good bit quicker, so if you have decent internet then hoarding installs seems pointless. Understandable for people with limited internet access or slow speeds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Pretty much same for me. I also find the download speeds must be at least 10 times quicker than ps4 so it's quick enough to put a new game onto it with little fuss

The updates were always a pain for me with the PS4 so I often found myself leaving games installed if I wanted to go back to them. Current speeds are so much better so I don't need to hoard games. I have 5-6 games I'm playing back and forth along with a few smaller download titles and still have space. It's a non issue really.

I have more free space on this than the 1TB Pro. Fair enough if you leave a 2 disc game installed but you're hardly going to be actively playing more than 5-6 games. It's not like every game is 50GB either. Most are 25-40GB on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭jj880

Same - ive found myself sticking to 1 or 2 games until im done then delete and on to the next. Nearly done oddworld soulstorm at the moment. Plenty space to leave my sons games installed also. He plays Rocket league, fortnite, minecraft, miles morales and sackboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Update now available, around 900 mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Update now available, around 900 mb

Trophies still look ****. Each square is too big and can only display a few words of the description. The PS4 trophy layout was way better. Very strange you can't change the list view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Trophies still look ****. Each square is too big and can only display a few words of the description. The PS4 trophy layout was way better. Very strange you can't change the list view.

Yea it was a curious design decision. One one hand I could see why they wanted to integrate it into the cards system, but surely there was a far better way considering their good use of space on the main OS screen.

TheBalcony wrote: »
    Agreed. Haven't used the PS5 that much all things considered but the UI has a lot of slight flaws like this

Could be worse, the Xbox UI looks like it was coded by Jackson Pollack

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MikeRyan87

On the DG debate, I think critics reviewed the pre patched version which is the reason for lower than an 8 I think.
    Completely Sony/Bends fault for not getting the game done properly before going gold/sent to reviewers.
    Agree with whoever said Sony has too many open world games and they are probably cutting the worst seller/least we'll received with critics.
    Hopefully Bend make something new and fresh.

Also Sucker Punch advertising jobs for "spectacular multiplayer game". Hopefully they now have two teams and the main team is doing GoT2.

I'm just waiting for the update to remove cards and set the power option as the main selected item when I press the PS button. Oh, and folders for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

I got miles morales at xmas

My 5 year old has been playing way more than me , and has completed it (on level amazing )

Shocked and proud! (he has autism, gets a great kick out of video games!)

That's astro and Miles morales now that I havnt got a look in with

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spooch

Right analogue stick is starting to drift.

So far that's:

1 controller R2 broken
    1 controller right stick drift
    Playstation has to lie horizontal because of loud noise

To say I'm pissed off is putting it midly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Apparently the update improved the disk spinning up every hour issue. Hasn't noticed myself but seen some people mentioning it.

Glad it's not just mine so. Only disc game I have is Nioh 2 and had to take it out of the drive when not playing it, the noise was wrecking my head. Takes off like a jet engine, surely not right to make that racket

Apparently the update improved the disk spinning up every hour issue. Hasn't noticed myself but seen some people mentioning it.

I had this issue around launch but haven't noticed it much lately, glad it is finally fixed though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Apparently, the disc noise is escalated by the upper shell of the console, the white "Tab" that you can remove to access the M2 port, vacuum hole etc.

Some have found that inserting a piece of paper or similar onto the top of the disc drive, and putting the shell back on then, reduces/eliminates the noise.

Have yet to try this myself, and mine can be heard all over the house when it starts booting from a disc, or is installing from disc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't mind the noise of the drive itself but it is annoying that it spins up randomly as the PS4 didn't do it. Nice to finally see some software updates. Apparently you can hide games from your library now? Now I can get rid of all those PS Now games and demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Has the most recent update caused any noticeable issues? Since installing I had my first random enter rest mode mid game and it also randomly turn itself on Wednesday night and this morning too. Never had any issues prior to the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Having a hard time getting back into Days Gone. I thought it was boring up until I got to the third camp then it got interesting but now I'm starting to find it get a bit repetitive. I'm at the mission where I'm finding a dog.

It just feels like I'm just driving from a to b, killing someone or getting an item, then going back. I spend more time riding around than anything. And the combat usually involves killing 4-5 people which isn't much of a challenge with my basic pistol.

I wonder should you notch up the difficulty? I played through on Hard II and loved every minute of it - That World shouldn't be a by-the-numbers or box-ticking exercise ever - Its an epic quest to survive and skill up until you can take on a Horde of 400 Zombies who want to chew your throat out!

* Only catch is you've to restart the game to change difficulty level.

Also gutted that there's going to be no Days Gone II - There are certain games Journalists who obviously don't actually play through these games before pretending they have and then panning them - They should be boycotted until they leave and find another career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Also gutted that there's going to be no Days Gone II - There are certain games Journalists who obviously don't actually play through these games before pretending they have and then panning them - They should be boycotted until they leave and find another career.

Is there a definitive list of people who we should boycott? I wouldn't want to, you know, ruin someone's career because they don't like a game that I like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The ‘journalists don’t play games before reviewing them’ is nothing more than a conspiracy theory based on absolute nonsense.

I’d be surprised if there’s more than a handful of cases of it happening across the entire history of video game reviewing.

Has the most recent update caused any noticeable issues? Since installing I had my first random enter rest mode mid game and it also randomly turn itself on Wednesday night and this morning too. Never had any issues prior to the update.

I have clocked about 10 hours since the update and had no bugs of any kind. Been using rest mode constantly too

The ‘journalists don’t play games before reviewing them’ is nothing more than a conspiracy theory based on absolute nonsense.

I’d be surprised if there’s more than a handful of cases of it happening across the entire history of video game reviewing.

Ya I remember that outrage over the Cyberpunk review and in the end, she was being pretty kind about it.. The attitude towards female critics in general is still pretty off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Is there a definitive list of people who we should boycott? I wouldn't want to, you know, ruin someone's career because they don't like a game that I like.

Fair enough I was being a bit hyperbolic - But still, if there was hypothetically a Journalist who committed this great offense then who would miss their departure?!

Wow - That's a very certain, authoritative, definite, dismissive and sweeping assertion you couldn't possibly have reliably determined - Thankfully you were in the area to try and help out though - Much appreciated :)

Advertisement