Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Comments

you'll definitely come across something that you didn't know....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Here's BotW running in 8K with a raytracing reshade. It looks absolutely delicious.

Also quite the flex to start it off in Korok Forest, the very spot where the retail release's framerate stutters to a halt the most.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Here's BotW running in 8K with a raytracing reshade. It looks absolutely delicious.

Also quite the flex to start it off in Korok Forest, the very spot where the retail release's framerate stutters to a halt the most.

This speaks to the certainty that I'll be buying the BotW HD release on the Switch 3 in about eight years time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Think I'll leave the wife and kids behind, travel the world for a few years after covid, and come back when they've grown up and Nintendo games are 4K 60FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Every time I see this thread bumped.

tenor.gif

Got a new 4k projector and while the Switch only does 1080p, BOTW looks glorious on it. Really bright. Actually wish I could go back in time and play it for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Same, this is the hope thread at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cant wait, Ill wait for the Switch hardware revision first though:

I wonder did they deliberately troll people with the first trailer making them spend a year thinking you were going to be exploring underneath the BotW map? This is more like Skyward Sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Thargor wrote: »
    I wonder did they deliberately troll people with the first trailer making them spend a year thinking you were going to be exploring underneath the BotW map? This is more like Skyward Sword.

I still think we might be. There is a point in the trailer Link burns an enemy inside a cave, so there could well be a glut of underground areas too.

God I hate this waiting....all my mind can do is theory-craft :(

That looks beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyone notice that stuff on Links right arm as he was flying?

Looks like a vine growing up his arm or something, thought it was interesting....

I've never played Skyward Sword so not familiar with that side of Zelda, don't even think I'll bother with the rerelease either, I'll just wait for this....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Fieldog wrote: »
    Anyone notice that stuff on Links right arm as he was flying?

Pretty sure that it's the arm that was holding down Ganondorf, merged/fused with Link's arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Star Lord wrote: »
    Pretty sure that it's the arm that was holding down Ganondorf, merged/fused with Link's arm.

Completely forgot about that ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coffee to go

My working theory is that the arm in fact is the Goddess Hylia’s arm. This in itself is contingent on a further theory that Hylia is the Goddess of Time. The arm supplants the Sheikah Slate in allowing you to do all the timeywimey stuff. Also there looks like there could be serious potential for the game to lean in on time travel, but I’m just basing that on Link’s ancienty-looking outfit in the skydive scene.

I am likely entirely wrong in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,986 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I am the First Person to Open this Chest | Breath of the Wild

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VHCMcRcrk8s

All of that effort. And guess what's in it? I won't spoil it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I hate this game and it's totally evil reward structure :D

Every time I watch a video like that it just depresses me thinking about when I first played through it, rushing home from work every day to get a few hours in, still havent been sucked into a game like it before or since. Hades came close but at the end of the day thats a small indie rougelike, not a whole other world like BotW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Thargor wrote: »
    OhEvery time I watch a video like that it just depresses me thinking about when I first played through it, rushing home from work every day to get a few hours in, still havent been sucked into a game like it before or since. Hades came close but at the end of the day thats a small indie rougelike, not a whole other world like BotW.

Oh....the good old days!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I bought this game over 2 years ago and couldn't get into it and haven't played it since.

I bought this game over 2 years ago and couldn't get into it and haven't played it since.
    bf8.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I'm the exact same...:o

Personally, it was the breakable weapons that ruined it for me. A game mechanic that I just hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've been slowly working my way through this whenever I get a few hours. I agree it is initially a bit hard to get into, some of the mechanics are a bit frustrating and moving around is a bit slow. After the initial 4 challenges though, which are really just the game tutorial, it gets much more immersive and enjoyable.

As someone who is a demon for hoarding equipment in games, I too initially hated breakable weapons, but I really like it now. It forces you to learn how to use all of the different types of weapons and to pick the right weapon for the fight. It also means that you can't just equip a super weapon and then wander around unstoppable, slaughtering lower-level mobs at ease. Well you can, but you'll wreck your weapon. Instead there's always a risk you'll get blindsided, even from the stupidest Bokoblins.

Getting a Yiga to Pull the Master Sword! | Zelda: Breath of the Wild

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_stbdjS_fbs

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I'm the exact same...:o

Personally, it was the breakable weapons that ruined it for me. A game mechanic that I just hated.

That becomes less of an issue the more you play.

Ive been gaming since the late 80s and its the best game Ive ever played. Get into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

sligeach wrote: »
    Getting a Yiga to Pull the Master Sword! | Zelda: Breath of the Wild

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_stbdjS_fbs

This p*ick just created a new Zelda timeline. BOTW2 is going to be waaaaaay darker...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

sligeach wrote: »
    That becomes less of an issue the more you play.

It never stops being something of an irritant though IMO. Yes the initial fear of those basic swords crapping out generally lessens, but at least there it added to the sense of vulnerability in those early passages. Pegging it while flailing a tree branch around had a panicky charm. Once you become more powerful it became akin to a chore - which was something the game otherwise avoided very well (in the pantheon of open world / survival tropes).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

But I just want the simplicity of starting sword and shield, followed by mirror shield and master sword.

None of this crafting, and scrounging, and other aspects that detract from the fun game times.

And gimme a hookshot over climbing/stamina !!!!

That'd fix the game for BOTW2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

Having only played botw for a few hours last year I'm wondering should I re start it or wait for skyward sword Hd next month & play that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

brady12 wrote: »
    Having only played botw for a few hours last year I'm wondering should I re start it or wait for skyward sword Hd next month & play that ?

restart BOTW. forget about Skyward Sword

Advertisement