Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

here we go again, bash met eireann time, They were'nt the only forecasters to predict snow over the east last night and it didnt materialise. I could be wrong but the precipitation they predicted was 0.1mm from around 6am onwards, now i'm no weather expert but i would'nt be expecting a deluge out of the measurement.

I except that but the three hour forecast hasn't materialised all morning, if they can't forecast for the next 3hours remove the tab! Just my own opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

John.Icy wrote: »
    Well this mornings trend is certainly not my friend. Very surprising at the extent of the turnaround. Although I knew the low would chop and change till at least Wednesday. I didn't see it happening like this. Mostly in regards to the very mild air out East. We do keep coldish east winds into FI though, although as I said, cold pool gone to East, so we'd only drag in some very mild weather.

Expect changes in the Low, last weeks was chopping and changing on a large scale up until Tuesday, and on a minor scale till Wednesday. Slight changes and a better undercut will change the outlook completely for next weekend.

As for past that, maybe it just is time for that 'Spring' to come along.

I think anyone looking for snow on the east coast this week will be wasting their time. We came very close to an epic snow fall on Friday. Close but no cigar. 2cm of snow possible this week? Please :D

Just had a look at the rain radar and there ain't much coming in from the Irish Sea at the moment. You might be lucky to get some snizzle :D

I think it will stay grey and very cold over the coming days - we are now nearly in April and I think most people have snow fatigue. Might it be right that most of us would now swap the current conditions for a sunny day with a temperature of 17oC in light winds? :rolleyes:

D

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Trying to snow here in Navan, the odd flake falling. But it's not gonna snow.

Don't waste your time SonOvagun. There ain't much on the radar and anything that does fall will not be enough to settle.

Thoughts now turn towards summer 2013

D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

derekon wrote: »

I think anyone looking for snow on the east coast this week will be wasting their time. We came very close to an epic snow fall on Friday. Close but no cigar. 2cm of snow possible this week? Please :D

Just had a look at the rain radar and there ain't much coming in from the Irish Sea at the moment. You might be lucky to get some snizzle :D

I think it will stay grey and very cold over the coming days - we are now nearly in April and I think most people have snow fatigue. Might it be right that most of us would now swap the current conditions for a sunny day with a temperature of 17oC in light winds? :rolleyes:

D
    Roll on sunny weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

D

Well the next few days don't interest me whatsoever, being in S.Kildare it's a poor location unless the wind is proper NE with conditions ripe for convection that survives inland.

Now as regards the weekend, it might be a waste of time in the end, but there is still a chance, and by god many people on here would give an arm and a leg to experience half of what happened in the North and the UK the past few days. It's a possibility so I'll hold out for now.

Past that, into April, I suppose I'd welcome warmer weather. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Don't waste your time SonOvagun. There ain't much on the radar and anything that does fall will not be enough to settle.

Thoughts now turn towards summer 2013

D

:rolleyes:

Such a childish type comment considering the synoptic.

Why even bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very disappointing to wake up to a clear radar and cloudy reports.

So whats missing in the puzzle? We have strong easterlies but no convection so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Why even bother?

Might as well look forward to the summer now. It's not gonna snow again this side of summer.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Very disappointing to wake up to a clear radar and cloudy reports.

So whats missing in the puzzle? We have strong easterlies but no convection so far?

Well, surface winds are easterly, but generally they're more south of east up there in the sky. Also, I'd put it down to frontal lag. It may have decayed, but it takes time for everything to properly clear and allow the Irish sea to fire up(abit of sun helps!). Also easterlies are a generally dry source for most anyway, we're looking for a N.Easterly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Might as well look forward to the summer now. It's not gonna snow again this side of summer.

Of course it could. Anytime this week. And I would prefer it were 16-20 degrees right now. And sunny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Of course it could. Anytime this week. And I would prefer it were 16-20 degrees right now. And sunny.

Lets be realistic. This thread is just full of people who want snow and they'll read into anything that suggests we will get some. It's nearly April and its not going to snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Lets be realistic. This thread is just full of people who want snow and they'll read into anything that suggests we will get some. It's nearly April and its not going to snow.

Lol. It's the coldest march I can remember. Max daytime temperatures are 2-4 this week. I hope it doesn't but it could well snow.

I feel the " it's all over now" posters are thwarted snow lovers, annoyed that it can bucket snow in Belfast but not down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some tiny flakes of snow in the wind here now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Mourne Mountains are well covered in snow. Seems to be only above 300m ASL. Nothing on ground level for now. Seriously cold and winds seemed to have eased a bit overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

A few rogue light snowflakes or graupel here in Offaly. Nothing of any significance though. It's 2c and dew point is -1 with a 12-15 knot east wind, bitterly cold after a while in it. The couple of young fruit trees I have leaves started budding about ten days ago and haven't progressed since. The difference between the upcoming weeks max temperatures and this week last year will be about 15c day on day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

see a blob just appeared off hollyhead on last 2 frames of mets radar headin for dublin is it the start of the streamers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Today in Derbyshire:eek:

3d752d51-30c6-4cf7-abbd-9f03260595a2_400.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Nobody can state with any degree of certainty that it will or won't snow. I remember being at a wedding in the middle of April and it was snowing. It wasn't sticking but it was certainly snowing.

Why even bother?

Thank you for the comment WC,

However, I would not consider my comment childish and it was not intended in a childish manner. Do you see significant snowfall yourself this week? I don't - that is just my opinion having viewed the latest models. Would be interested to hear where you see snowfall coming from (and by this I mean in excess of 0.5cm to 1cm). :D

Is there something I am not seeing?

D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Bitterly cold here, with the odd bit of snizzle in the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

vickers209 wrote: »
    see a blob just appeared off hollyhead on last 2 frames of mets radar headin for dublin is it the start of the streamers?
    I'm watching that stuff in the Liverpool / N.Wales area, miles away now but lets what happens when it moves into the Irish Sea...... clutching straws I know :rolleyes:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Feel free to leave so, and please shut the door on the way out. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Wednesday still looks good for more intense shower activity

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Tallaght/Firhouse

Current temp is 0.4C

DP -3C

Humidity 79%

Wind is 12k/h SE - bummer!

Bitterly cold feels more like -3

Tend to agree with OP - all the conditions are very marginal for snow, some places might get a bit but don't think it will settle (unless conditions change dramatically which NO-ONE can f/c now)

I am feeling slightly ambiguous - part of me wants snow while it's so damn cold (o/wise what's the point of it being bitterly cold?)

The other part of me wants spring to come - cos if there's no snow I do NOT want this bitter cold anymore.

And I switch from one to the other like a pendulum on a grandfather clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

patneve2 wrote: »
    Wednesday still looks good for more intense shower activity

Friday frontal snow ?

prectypeuktopo.png

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Friday frontal snow ?

prectypeuktopo.png

It could be the "final-undercut" but too far off to say. I would concentrate on Monday-Thursday for shower activity and I think that most places on the E Coast should at least see falling snow

GFS HD precip charts also have more widespread precip activity Wednesday and Thursday, very light but it's there.

Yes tlntln (?lol), frontal snow chances on Friday, although it went from sustained event last night to very transient and brief today, but expect changes to keep occurring. :)

Exciting times ahead, I'd even put it as high as 50% chance of a big snow event this weekend.(6 inches +, more in drifting!)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

Few spots of what looks look rain but has a whiteish appearance........

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

Location...Lucan,dublin

• Advertisement

What a bitter day :eek: 2.3 degrees in a strong easterly wind here right by the coast. Some temps:

Dublin Airport - 1C
    Casement - 1 C
    Mullingar - 1 C
    Knock Airport - 1C
    Cork Airport - 3C

Possible ice day in parts of England and Wales

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement