Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavy Rain - Flood risk

Options

Comments

violent downpour here in arklow at the moment,I wouldn't want to be trick or treating in it!It's very loud.

We had some massive monsoonal showers in the early afternoon aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so it would seem with rain coming up from the south , the very northwest often escapes with little to no rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

violent downpour here in arklow at the moment,I wouldn't want to be trick or treating in it!It's very loud.

We had some massive monsoonal showers in the early afternoon aswell.

Getting those in Greystones now also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The 18Z NAE has gone a little bonkers with the rainrates, giving up to almost 100m accumulations in 24hrs up to 18Z Sunday off the south coast....about 3 times that of the GFS. Guess what model's been eating too many monkey nuts!

10103118_2_3018.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The 18Z NAE has gone a little bonkers with the rainrates, giving up to almost 100mm accumulations in 24hrs up to 18Z Sunday off the south coast....about 3 times that of the GFS. Guess what model's been eating too many monkey nuts!

10103118_2_3018.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Su Campu wrote: »
    The 18Z NAE has gone a little bonkers with the rainrates, giving up to almost 100mm accumulations in 24hrs up to 18Z Sunday off the south coast....about 3 times that of the GFS. Guess what model's been eating too many monkey nuts!

The set up is interesting in itself I have to admit. A circulating mass of warm moist air to the south of Ireland trying to force its way up against a relatively cooler and drier bank of air to the north and northwest of the country.

Tonight's DMI is beefing up totals over the southern half of the country from this system but keeping the largest totals over south Leinster. Both the EMHI and YR.NO HIRLAM 18z runs are showing widespread rain over the south in general with the highest totals more over the eastern Munster region and along the south coast. GFS 18z on the other hand is lessening intensity in general.

Let's see how the whole thing will pan out in the actual tomorrow. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

19.6mm so far since midnight, looks like the forecasts for the south east were correct. For stats www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

18.6 mm from mine so we're in agreement. ;)

Heaviest totals seemed to be confined along the coast from this system

24hr totals up to 12.00utc:

133124.jpg

Probably will be a few milimetres added on to those totals in the south on the 18utc reports but all in all, it does seem the NAE did overdose on those Monkey Nuts a little.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

where is all this rain coming from in west clare as radar is showing nothing
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I can assure you it's pouring down here in Cork.That weather radar seems dodgy.

cml387 wrote: »
    I can assure you it's pouring down here in Cork.That weather radar seems dodgy.

As I saw the post above it was raining here and we were clear on the radar.

Could be a wet evening tomorrow in places if the latest model runs are right, with a fairly active trough passing close to Ireland late tomorrow afternoon or evening.

Here is tomorrow's HIRLAM synoptic forecast (noon) showing the trough developing. (added arrow to show possible track of the trough later on in the day):

133321.jpg

Latest DMI (12z) prep forecast for this time tomorrow showing this feature approaching the west coast:

133325.gif

Northern half of the country seems to be most at risk at this early stage for the heaviest falls but that may change.

Worth keeping an eye on anyway.

@Wolf, Gbee. I agree - I don't think the met radar is performing that well lately, and certainly not for this side of the country at least. If I was to believe the radar earlier on I'd swear that no rain fell here during the afternoon. I can assure you it did!

According to the met reports, 1.2mm fell at Claremorris between 3pm and 4pm. One example of what the radar showed for that hour:

133330.gif

nothing! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah I can safely say that things wrong, it was pouring rain all day here, didnt stop until around an hour ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Just like last November isn't it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

John2009 wrote: »
    Just a clip from a passing shower at 9:45pm, taking with my Panasonic Lumix TZ7 sorry about the strong blue streaks but its typical of CCD sensors in cameras,

the camera is brand new and this is actually my first night video with a digital camera, 720p available on the Youtube clip

Ah I'm selling my TZ7 at the moment .... Could of given it to a fellow weather fanatic for a good price! Ha

Btw I'm selling it to buy the tz10 ... HD movies yes please! Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

133330.gif

nothing! :rolleyes:

Well the shower in kilkenny that was right over my house was there for the entire day, not just at that time. A lot of rain fell here today!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

we had a lot of rain in the past 3 hours

moderate-heavy rain all day here.

Shannon radar is down so i cannot see how heavy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

Web_radar.gif

looks heavy,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

thundering down here - havent had a lake in the garden in over a year :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

We are lucky down here today, only a few drizzle showers this morning,didnt even measure on the rain gauge. Looks like there could be flooding up the country though.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It has been raining heavily here since 8 am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Around 25mm in parts of the Wetsshhhht so far

Westport is 25.6mm so far (irelands weather website)
    Oranmore is 21mm (irelands weather website)
    Sligo is 19mm (my own back garden oregon scientific)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Persistant, heavy, driving rain in Galway since dawn. 18.1mm recorded since midnight and 3.5mm in the last hour. Strong and gusty SSW'ly wind; 98%RH; temp, 12.8C; 997mb - falling.

The ESB today admitted that the chance of a repeat of the devastating Cork flooding of 12 months ago is now greater than they had previously believed.

The State agency, which is responsible for the management of Inniscarra and Carrigadrohid dams on the Lee river, had previously stated that last November’s disaster was a one-in-800 year occurrence.

However, a preliminary report carried out by the ESB into the flooding in the city last year has concluded the prospect of a ‘significant flood event’ is actually “greater than previous studies have indicated”. They would not say what the new estimate is.

The ESB revealed this report, which has not been made public, also found the inflow to the reservoirs during the flood was “two and a half times their combined normal storage capacity”.

And they have admitted no changes have been made to their operating procedures in the last 11 months.

This is despite a recommendation contained in the Lee Flood Risk Management Plan (CFRAMS) to do so.

The ESB stated they will not make any changes to their operating procedures until the “completion of downstream works” by the Office of Public Works (OPW).

Worryingly, no date has as yet been given as to when these works will even commence.

CFRAMS had recommended that the works by the ESB should be undertaken in conjunction — and not after — the OPW measures.

The ESB said after the OPW works had been completed they would then be “in a position to change operating procedures to allow increased discharges from Inniscarra, improving our ability to lower reservoir levels in advance of heavy rain”.

The water levels at Inniscarra and Carrigadrohid were 46.4 metres and 63 metres respectively yesterday.

While the ESB said these levels are “within the normal operating bands for the reservoirs”, the body also stated the levels were “unseasonably low due to the small amount of rainfall over the last number of weeks”.

Cllr Dara Murphy, the former Lord Mayor of Cork, said he had gone from “concerned to furious” with the lack of action from the ESB in the last 11 months.

He said the major responsibility must be for water management and not on generating electricity — and that there was still too much water being held in the dams in a bid to generate energy as cheaply as possible.

This story courtesy of the Evening Echo

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

People were angry at the ESB last year for opening the dam but they had to didnt they??There was a dangerous build up of water behind it and it was either open and release some water or risk an incredible disaster of the dam bursting.
    Btw,unreal rain here in Galway city all day since very early morning,got soaked earlier.Met Eireann got the timing of this weather wrong though i think.They had said it would come this evening.

Aiel wrote: »
    People were angry at the ESB last year for opening the dam but they had to didnt they??There was a dangerous build up of water behind it and it was either open and release some water or risk an incredible disaster of the dam bursting..

Two things though, the ESB held back water while diver were searching for suicide's bodies in the river.

PLUS: They held it back in the face of 52mm of rain expectation: In the end we got 'only' 25mm of rain.

Aiel wrote: »
    Btw,unreal rain here in Galway city all day since very early morning,got soaked earlier.Met Eireann got the timing of this weather wrong though i think.They had said it would come this evening.

This system came in much quicker than I thought myself yesterday (see earlier post) but came in it did. Spot flooding around town here. Very very dark now with another wave of torrential rain moving through and visiblity down to almost nothing. Winds gusting up to 45mph as well. Fantastic!!:D:D

Edit: eased up but getting even darker. Spectacular amount of racing fractonimubus moving overhead and to the east.

• Advertisement

21mm since midnight here

more heavy rain, especially for northern half of the country tomorrow. Ulster, north connaught and north leinster look like seeing the heaviest rain

Advertisement