Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How often do landlords generally inspect the property?

• 22-09-2020 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I've been renting for about 6-7 years and have lived in 4 properties during that period. I've never had an inspection by the landlord. Am I the exception, or do landlords generally not carry out inspections?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I've been renting for about 6-7 years and have lived in 4 properties during that period. I've never had an inspection by the landlord. Am I the exception, or do landlords generally not carry out inspections?

I think RTB stipulates an annual visit to be carried out by the LL?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bigsmallbig

I think RTB stipulates an annual visit to be carried out by the LL?

Is that a requirement or a recommendation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

A recommendation. An agent will on average inspect a property twice a year. During an inspection if they feel place isn’t being looked after they will relax the inspection, if they have concerns about a tenant they will step up the number of inspections. There is an obligation on a tenant to advise landlord In a timely manner if there is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I was in my previous apartment for almost 7 years and it was never inspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

PommieBast wrote: »
    I was in my previous apartment for almost 7 years and it was never inspected.

12 years for us, our landlord only turns up if we ask for something to be fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Depends on your landlord really, and if you are causing them or the neighbours any grief as well I suppose.

I was in one house for about 5 years and I think I saw the landlady one time only. I had an apartment more recently and he checked it annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

If you are a good tenant and you have a diligent landlord, at least once a year.
    The benefits are for both of you - landlord can see wear & tear and maybe get it replaced or see that you are not thrashing the place.
    For the tenant, the landlord can see that you are keeping the place well so good chance that you will get your full deposit back.

There are plenty of exceptions to this unfortunately but open communication and planned visits can be helpful for both. No harm as a tenant to request one at least every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭pooch90

We had an agent do inspections every 3 months, despite the place being very well looked after (we even asked him to take his shoes off going upstairs for carpeted areas.) We objected after the 2nd inspection and said it was ridiculous, ended up in a massive row and our lease wasn't renewed. I think within the first few months and every 6/12 months after that is reasonable. In our current house over 5 years and never had one inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

renting through an agency, pre covid it was circa every 4 months

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I don't bother after the first one (2-3 months in) unless I'm asked to do something. Thought I'd do more but just never get around to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement