Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flat wheel, cannot remove lug nuts

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Thanks lads I took all 4 wheels off and inspected. Put some anti seize on the lugs and all is good

Anti seize between the wheel and hub. Dont put it on the threads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

mickdw wrote: »

That's what I done just some gt45 or wd40 on the threads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

and again...boring me...:D
    Putting anti seize, copper grease etc on the lugs is fine...as long as you put it on the edge only (where the lug touches the wheel) and not on the thread.

Anti-seize on the thread makes it easier to over-tighten the lugs (and difficult to measure the proper torque, if you're so inclined), so once again you're stretching the studs and off come the wheels :D

There is proper science to putting the nuts on with the correct torque.
    You know when you stretch steel it reacts in three different stages;
    stage one, it stretches under load and then goes back to it's original shape once the load comes off
    stage two, it stretches beyond the point of elasticity, it stays stretched once the load comes off
    stage three, it breaks

The torque setting as quoted by the manufacturer is designed to get the studs into elastic stretch...they stretch a bit, but then they want to pull back in, making the whole fit super tight and really secure.
    Overtightening your nuts does not make it more secure but less so as the elasticity is gone and any extra force (from hard cornering or braking) only stretches and loosens the assembly even more.

At home I always use a torque wrench when changing wheels and in the garage / tyre place I make a nuisance of myself by telling them the correct torque I want my wheels fitted at more than just once :D

emeldc wrote: »

listermint wrote: »
    They won't help I bent one completely on mine .

Have to agree with lister - bought one from a local motor factors, think it was €25 or something, got three goes out of it. Brother bought one from a different motor factors and his bent on the first use. :rolleyes:

Nowadays I just use the X shaped one, that comes with the car. If having difficulty, I do the delicate wheel brace dance, where you hold onto the far side, with one hand on the car for balance, and stand on the near side, so try and jump around on it and get it off that way... usually works (but I'm heavy, so...).

Hoboo wrote: »
    I haven't changed a tyre in 18 years, insurance breakdown does that :)

I wouldn't be able for that. Changing a wheel is about what, 10 minutes? 5 if you're motivated.

Wouldn't have the patience in me to sit waiting on a van to appear to do it. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

mickdw wrote: »

I thought nothing was to interfere with the bond between wheel and hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Del2005 wrote: »

Local tyre shops impact gun wouldn't get one of the lugs off. He said hell either crack the nut or thread my bolts.

All OK anyway now. Had all 4 wheels off and anti seized etc.

Whoever owned the car before me must have been in one of them strongman competitions haha

Del2005 wrote: »

That looks interesting. Can't say I've ever seen one of those before (That can be run off the 12v socket). Would be very handy.

Anyone here ever used one? If it works as it should, it'd be a great addition to my box of "ah for fcuk sake" stuff I have in my boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

newmember? wrote: »
    I thought nothing was to interfere with the bond between wheel and hub?

You are correct, no antisieze between wheel and hub, it's a common mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

peasant wrote: »
    and again...boring me...:D
    Overtightening your nuts does not make it more secure :D
    :D
    Far from boring

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hi currently with insure my van commercial insurance. Wheel is flat as anything due to a nail in it. Can anyone with them before provide me with info if they will tow me to a local tyre place etc.

Any help appreciated. Its just van is parked outside a customers house and am eiger to get removed. Tried changing the spare week but wheel brace snapped so them lug nuts are very well stuck on.

Were you trying to Do It Yourself ? :pac:

Advertisement