Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Games Have You Completed? (2020 Edition)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,787 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Assassin's Creed Revelations.
    I may get caught up eventually. Unlikely though

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Borderlands 3: Moxxi's Heist DLC
    Control
    A Plague Tale: Innocence
    Monster Hunter World

The Division 2: Warlords of New York DLC - Campaign finished and a good chunk of time put into the endgame.

The campaign itself isn't going to win any awards, but it is a solid 8-10 hour playthrough with some neat boss encounters along the way and some great level design which has been a constant strong point for Div2. It's also nice to revisit NY, albeit Lower Manhattan this time around and minus the snow which made the first game so memorable. At the end of the day though, if you didn't already like the core gameplay of the series, this isn't going to change your mind, as it's more of the same at the end of the day.

It's the other changes that came in with the expansion and Title Update 8 which may bring back lapsed players though. My two core issues with Div2 were the complexity of the gear system, and the lack of an engaging content loop once you hit endgame. You would struggle through the awful gear system and UI to pull together a usable build....and then have absolutely no content worth playing or sense of progression once you had that build. Both those problems look to have been addressed (for now at least).

Gear 2.0 is a complete overhaul of the core RPG systems; gear stats and perks have been streamlined, as has the UI, meaning it is now incredibly easy to create builds and understand the synergy between different gear pieces, whereas in year one the system was so convoluted and dependent on RNG that creating a build that was usable in the harder difficulty levels was something only the extremely dedicated were able to achieve. Not the case anymore, and after a week of what I would call casual play, I have completed the campaign and pulled together a decent crit dmg/chance build able to take on the second hardest difficulty in the game with relative ease.

My second issue, lack of endgame content, also looks to have been resolved. There is now a progression system in place similar to the Paragon system in Diablo 3, and the Guardian Ranks in Borderlands 3, that lets you increase your characters stats incrementally once you have hit the level cap. It is pretty grindy, but nice to have a sense of progression to chase other than just getting better drops. Anyone who bought Warlords of NY also has access to the new seasonal system which launched yesterday. Each week there will be new seasonal activities, with this weeks being the first target in the new seasonal manhunt. Next week we get the first of the overhauled global events etc. Propping this all up is the new battle pass, which unlike others is actually fairly easy to level up and contains great rewards. All this new content and the seasonal road map finally gives us a reason to log back into the game on a regular basis, and we now finally have activities to jump in to to put those hard earned builds to use.

All in all Warlords is not worth buying for the campaign alone, but if you are someone who fell of Div2 for similar reasons to me, you can return to the game knowing those issues around gear have been resolved, and you now will finally have a steady stream of content to engage with each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales

This came out a year or two ago and completely passed me by until a friend recommended it recently. It's set in the Witcher universe, with gameplay based on the Gwent card game. While the battles all happen through Gwent, you also traverse an isometric world from battle to battle and there is a lengthy story. The writing and acting are as good as Witcher 3, which is to say as good as anything you'll find in a game.

There are many dialog decisions to make and lots of them are genuinely tough decisions - typically you're deciding how to treat a defeated or captured foe - these are rarely simple choices as you might show mercy on someone only to have them stab you in the back later, or you might punish someone only to have their allies take revenge later.

There are other types of decisions to be made too, around disagreements among your allies, or whether to act selfishly and gain yourself significant weaponry or magnanimously and leave yourself at a disadvantage. Some of the choices are genuinely gut-wrenching, both in terms of narrative and in terms of their lasting effect by adding or removing powerful weapons, troops or heroes from your deck permanently. At one point the best hero in my team, who was central to my preferred strategy, did an extremely bad thing, and I had the option to turn a blind eye or not, but in the context of the narrative I simply couldn't let them away with it. It made the battles that followed more difficult and I had to completely rework my strategy, but I felt it was the right choice.

As for the gameplay, I'm not into collectible card games in general but it really worked in the context of the game and fit well. There is actually a lot of variety in how battles play out depending on who you're facing and what type of troops they have, and you need to change strategy appropriately. Many story battles have additional conditions like reinforcements that turn up after a set number of turns, or preexisting obstacles on the board. In addition to regular battles based on the deck you've built up, there are also puzzle battles with a set deck that really twist the rules for all kinds of interesting tasks to complete.

My final save was at 57 hours, having completed every side quest I found, which was probably about 10 hours too long. There was definitely a point a while away from the end where I had become powerful enough that all the battles were now trivial, which made the story decisions a lot easier as I no longer cared about saving my resources or bulking up my forces so I could generally be extra generous to everyone I met.

I'd still definitely recommend it overall though, came in under the radar and the quality of it really surprised me. I went and played the actual Gwent game after completing it but just playing the card game in multiplayer and without context wasn't for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GAME|PLATFORM

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing|PC
    Gato Roboto|PC
    Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker|PS3
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue|PC
    Florence|PC
    Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: The Answer|PS2
    The Last of Us: Left Behind|PS4
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3

3D Dot Game Heroes

Been playing this off and on the last few months. It's basically a Zelda clone with a very unique graphical style with everything made of voxels. It's closer to the first Zelda than later Zelda games as there is a lot of emphasis on exploration, although the main game sequence has to be played out linearly. It's not perfect but it very nearly captures that Zelda magic. There's a few annoyances. There's an over emphasis on meme humour and for a game that is 10 years old a lot of it has aged badly. It's a From Software co-production so they put in a lot of references to their older games. It's filled with Demon's Souls, Metal Wolf Chaos and Armored core references I doubt many people will get now. Also the team that made the game isn't normally a game developer as they normally make post processing pipeline tools. This game can be more of a tech demo sometimes showing off some rather impressive graphics like a very high quality LOD effect, lighting and water. Even the magic is called 'shader magic' since they all apply a shader effect. All this comes at the expense of framerate at times and it can tank into the teens and make the controls very unresponsive as the lag will eat your inputs. The soundtrack is a real standout with some really great tunes.

Still really enjoyed this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Star wars jedi fallen order - PS4
    Gears of war ultimate edition - Xbox one
    The witcher 3 - PS4

Hellblade senuas sacrifice - Xbox one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 johnmorganhere

Hi everyone. I've just started playing this year so I havent compleated so many games as you) I've done Star wars, Assassin’s Creed 4 and Far Cry New Dawn.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As Shadow of the Tomb Raider has been released on PS Now, I bought the previous game, Rise of the Tomb Raider for €9 on the PS Store to catch up on the franchise. Although I enjoyed the game a lot, I felt it wasn't as good as the first game in the rebooted series. The story wasn't as good and the ridiculous amount of collectibles was way over the top. I enjoyed the collectibles in the first game but gave up in this one. The challenge tombs were fun and overall it was enjoyable but it lacked something. Despite the game coming with the DLC, I only played the Baba Yaga DLC and didn't bother with the survival and score attack modes.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Letter Quest Remastered| PlayStation 4
    Costume Quest 2| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Metro Last Light Redux| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Little Nightmares & DLC| PlayStation 4
    Horizon Zero Dawn & Frown Wilds DLC| PlayStation 4
    Forgotten Anne| PlayStation 4
    Dust: An Elysian Tale| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Vampyr| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Loco Roco| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Rise of the Tomb Raider| PlayStation 4

Yoshi's Wooly World on the Wii U done.

Good game. I didn't collect everything. Just picked whatever I could up along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Borderlands 3: Moxxi's Heist DLC
    Control
    A Plague Tale: Innocence
    Monster Hunter World
    The Division 2: Warlords of New York DLC

Doom 2016

Decided to give this another playthrough before jumping into Doom Eternal, and damn glad I did as I had forgotten just how good it was.

Possibly my favourite FPS campaign ever. It's damn near perfect and still amazes me how they managed to take take the decades old formula used in the original Doom, and make it feel so fresh and relevant back in 2016. They also handled the narrative perfectly as well IMO; the story behind the reboot is actually pretty great, but isn't forced on you in anyway bar a few cutscenes here and there. The majority of the narrative is dished out via data logs, so if you just want to ignore the story and focus on ripping and tearing, you are totally free to do so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3
    Black Mesa|PC

Black Mesa

Quite simply an amazing achievement for a fan project. I don't think much has changed from the original release and its still thoroughly enjoyable working through a remix of the original campaign.

The Xen levels however are a revelation. It's significantly extended and also.... shock horror... actually thoroughly enjoyable and a lot of fun. It's probably the best part of the campaign.

• Advertisement

The witcher 3 - PS4

The walking dead michonne - Xbox one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Xbox One]

Borderlands: The Pre Sequel

Great game still felt fresh despite playing it a few years ago on PC. Still have the DLC to play and a couple of side mission left to finish off. I enjoyed this when I played it years ago near release and even now so I don't know why there was hate for it back when it was released. Yes it didn't have as much content as 1 and 2 but I wouldn't call it a short game as there is still a lot of content if you do all the side mission. Skip them and yes it would be short enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

GAME|PLATFORM
    Star wars Jedi Fallen order|PS4
    Control|PS4
    Tekken 7 story Mode|PS4
    Death Stranding | PS4
    Super Mario Odyessy | Nintendo Switch
    Subnautica | PS4
    Fire Emblem three houses | Switch

Finished subnautica last week, have to say I really enjoyed it loved the exploration and crafting. Even though I was not a big fan of minecraft.

Finished my first play through of Fire emblem with the black eagles , gonna go and do the golden deer house now, people say its worth a replay so might go and try it.

Also recently purchased dark souls 1 and its tougher than its sequels a tad clunky imo too.

The witcher 3 - PS4

Rage 2 - PS4

Monument Valley 2 on Android.

It's free so decided to try it. Nice short wee puzzle game

The witcher 3 - PS4
    Rage 2 - PS4

Sniper elite 4 - PS4

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3
    Black Mesa|PC
    Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei: Megami Tensei |SNES

Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei: Megami Tensei

SNES remake of the original Megami Tensei game that was on the Famicom/NES. The game that lead to Shin Megami Tensei series and it's spin offs like Persona. For a 8-bit dungeon crawler it holds up amazingly well. I had an absolute blast playing this game and enjoyed it immensely. Its easy to see from this game how the series took off with the release of this game to become what it is today. Actually surprised how good it was.

Outland on PS3

Wow, that final boss was a pain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I finished and got the platinum for Control. I was absolutely loving this game at the start. The atmosphere, setting, mystery all had me hooked but unfortunately the story kind of fizzled out and it wasn't helped by the huge amount of lore collectibles. The combat was excellent, graphics excellent and it had some good boss fights. However there were problems too, the map system is awful, the game is actually very easy except for the boss fights where there is a huge difficulty spike.

In the end I really enjoyed the game but the story promised so much more.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Control| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

For some unfathomable reason, I downloaded Resident Evil 5 again. Possibly because it still looks quite good, especially on PC. I clocked it on veteran and then moved to Professional. I honestly don't think Capcom did any testing on Professional difficulty at all. It's so frustrating and a lot of that is down to the partner AI.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

[Xbox One]

Borderlands 2 (DLC) Guns, Love and Tentacles

Good DLC, I enjoyed it. New enemies and locations and more of the same of Borderlands.

GAME|PLATFORM

Gato Roboto|PC
    D|PC
    Dragon's Lair|PC
    Return of Egypt|PC
    Florence|PC
    3D Dot Game Heroes|PS3
    Black Mesa|PC
    Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei: Megami Tensei |SNES
    Rusty's Real Deal Baseball |3DS

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball

A rhythm action game dressed up as a baseball game. It's basically a bunch of minigames but with the charm and polish you only get from Nintendo. All of them are good fun with only 'Bat Master' being a duff one. I really like the approach to freemium as well where you are helping Rusty deal with having his wife leave him with 10 kids to look over. You visit his shop and haggle his prices down on the games.

Unfortunately you'll need a US 3DS and account to play this as it never got a European release.

I like to play an easy and short game after playing AAA games and Artifex Mundi games fit the bill perfectly for me so I just finished Scarlett Mysteries: Cursed Child. It's standard Mundi fair, simple puzzles, hidden object scenes, terrible voice acting and a nonsense story. A good palette cleanser before I start Wolfenstein 2.

Game|Platform
    Outlast| PlayStation 4
    Oxenfree| PlayStation 4
    Kona| PlayStation 4
    Abzu| PlayStation 4
    Control| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    Scarlett Mysteries: Cursed Child| PlayStation 4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Carmageddon: Max Damage. Finished the main missions. Still have to go back and kill all the peds on the first race of each tier. Easier now with the electro car! Fun little game. People probably hate it but it does what it says on the tin. Wouldn't mind a modern one, but no idea how it would be received by today's standards. At least they didn't force the zombie mode on the EU this time. I would nearly go for the Plat on this, but there's online ones, so that's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

Finally added the witcher 3 to the list. Just the main story for now

GAME|PLATFORM
    Days Gone|Playstation 4
    The Last Of Us|Playstation 4
    The Last Of Us - Left Behind |Playstation 4
    Pokemon Sword|Nintendo Switch
    Witcher 3|Playstation 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Taking a break from Destiny so finally making ways into my backlog. Plus "working" from home is helping it nicely.

Finished off AC:Unity, Darksiders 3, AC:Syndicate and currently making my way through AC:Origins.
    Have AC:Odyssey after that and then back into Witcher 3 for a while.

The witcher 3 - PS4
    Rage 2 - PS4
    Sniper elite 4 - PS4

Call of duty modern warfare remastered - PS4

[Xbox One]

Borderlands The Pre Sequel (DLC) Claptastic Voyage

Brilliant DLC, The last boss is pretty difficult but once you figure out what to do through trial and error he isn't too bad.

Advertisement