Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

President Donald Trump - Formal Impeachment Inquiry Announced

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

. On those numbers, he would find it very difficult to get re-elected.

I just finished reading an article for Washington Post that argued the opposite:
    Trump’s approval ratings are bad news for Democrats
    he has enduring appeal to about 45 percent of the electorate as long as the economy hums along and we’re at peace with the world.[...]People need to remember that Trump does not need to win the popular vote to get reelected. All he has to do is win the electoral college, and he can do that without having to worry about whom the Democrats nominate if he can get his job approval ratings up to about 47 percent. That’s because the opposition to Trump is centered in states such as California and New York that will vote Democratic anyway, driving his national numbers down without affecting the electoral college.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I just finished reading an article for Washington Post that argued the opposite:

His approval rating from 538 (which weights polls according to their quality and adjusts them for bias (Rasmussen) has not been above 43% in 2 years. His average closer to 41%

Nowhere near 45% and certainly not 47%.

And that's with a strong economy.

Doesn't sound like it's about to improve in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

TRUMP 202O KEEP MURICA GREAT.

Opening an impeachment inquiry without having all the information is irresponsible.Pelosi’s decree changes absolutely nothing. Just claiming the House is conducting an impeachment inquiry doesn’t make it so. Until the full House votes to authorize an inquiry, nobody is conducting a formal inquiry. The dems have handed it to Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Where was the talk of impeachment during the Bush and Obama years?

Ignore the worst crimes under the sun, including torture, mass surveillance and catastrophic invasions, but lose your mind over Trump, who is positively benign in comparison, despite what the never ending circus performers would have you believe.

Maniacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

• Advertisement

His approval rating from 538 (which weights polls according to their quality and adjusts them for bias (Rasmussen) has not been above 43% in 2 years. His average closer to 41%

That article also argues he needs about 3-4 points only. The numbers are similar only off by a few points in most cases.

I guess it's all down to who the Dems can field. My favourite candidate was Biden, but he seems too heavily involved in this scandal now also.

I don't see moderates voting for one of the other nominees. They're all too divisive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,591 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hobosan wrote: »
    Where was the talk of impeachment during the Bush and Obama years?

Ignore the worst crimes under the sun, including torture, mass surveillance and catastrophic invasions, but lose your mind over Trump, who is positively benign in comparison, despite what the never ending circus performers would have you believe.

Maniacs.

Those things were authorized by Congress, which is why you don’t hear Congress talk loudly about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

But that's mainstream liberal media right?

Pelosi is just Sabre rattling. I don't think there will be a move to impeach. Everyone knows what Trump is and go about their business anyway. I don't think there's much that Trump could do to have an impeachment happen except maybe take money off the Republican's, then he'd be out.

But that's mainstream liberal media right?

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

So I heard about an elected official that threatened to block foreign aid to Ukraine unless they did something to help their political prospects back in the United States?

No… not that that guy.

But no biggie that Democrat senators, and Biden himself, threatened Ukraine funding over the Trump investigation, right?

Different rules for Republicans than for Democrats, I guess.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

Okay… what is this ‘impeachment inquiry’ nonsense really about, one might ask? Democrats have been already doing it for the last three years, anyway.

IMO… it about DISTRACTION. Democrats are living in absolute fear of the coming revelations about the Russia probe from Inspector General Horowitz, and from the DOJ's Durham who can actually put people in jail. The revelations about abuse and illegalities are likely to point to leaders of the Democratic party and probably even President Obama himself. They seem to all be involved, one degree or another, with illegally spying on (or undermining Trump) and his administration before and after the election.

My guess it a strong offense at this juncture by the Democrats party is their only defense from staying out of jail.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    IMO… it about DISTRACTION.

Isn't this an ultimatum? Didn't Pelosi specifically issue an ultimatum to Trump to release the transcript or impeachment will begin?
    Hasn't trump already agreed to release the transcript?

It seems if they were just looking for a distraction, they could have gone full stream ahead with the impeachment, and not issued an ultimatum first.

Something has changed Pelosi's mind here in a matter of days; I can't wait to see what it was.

Isn't this an ultimatum? Didn't Pelosi specifically issue an ultimatum to Trump to release the transcript or impeachment will begin?
    Hasn't trump already agreed to release the transcript?

It seems if they were just looking for a distraction, they could have gone full stream ahead with the impeachment, and not issued an ultimatum first.

Something has changed Pelosi's mind here in a matter of days; I can't wait to see what it was.
    Impeachment for what? You can't impeach a president based on suspicion or conjecture.

Democrats keep moving the goalposts.

What has changed is the far left base and progressives of her party have finally gone bat$hyte crazy from Trump Derangement Syndrome... IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Democrats are really making a show of themselves at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LOL

Trump is a career criminal, he should be in jail, not the White House

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Yeah, imagine wanting accountability.
    Those utter bastards.

Impeachment for what? You can't impeach a president based on suspicion or conjecture.

You think that would have stopped them? Look how they treated Sanders, they will go low.

Pelosi is not as crazy as the others IMO.

You think that would have stopped them? Look how they treated Sanders, they will go low.

Pelosi is not as crazy as the others IMO.
    True that she is not as crazy as the others, but it also proves she's no longer the leader she once was. That seems to have shifted to The Squad.

True that she is not as crazy as the others, but it also proves she's no longer the leader she once was.

I thought that when I saw her slur her words alright. Fearful times when we're worried about Pelosi being replaced by the crazys.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,399 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I thought that when I saw her slur her words alright. Fearful times when we're worried about Pelosi being replaced by the crazys.

Do you think the same when you hear Trump slurring his words?

• Advertisement

Do you think the same when you hear Trump slurring his words?

Are you seriously comparing how Pelosi slurred her words in the first post video, to anything that Trump has ever done?

Could you please put up the worst video you've seen of Trump doing it, so we can compare- Ta.

Trump is six years younger than her. I like Pelosi so I don't want this to come across as an attack, but she is looking and sounding frail these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Are you seriously comparing how Pelosi slurred her words in the first post video, to anything that Trump has ever done?

Could you please put up the worst video you've seen of Trump doing it, so we can compare- Ta.

He got his Vice Presidents name wrong recently. Mike Pounce. Not to mention Tim Apple.

They have found plenty on Trump, and plenty of dirt on him is in the public domain.

Corruption (enriching himself during his presidency)
    Multiple instances of obstruction of justice
    Leaking of classified information
    Cosying up the dictators
    Alienating allies

Every one of your points are wrong except for alienating allies, and this only because of his commitment to put America first.

Once again the pollsters will be wrong because of the shy voters... those people unwilling to tell, or lie about their plans, on how they plan to vote out of fear of repercussions... but will vote for Trump in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,399 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump is six years younger than her. I like Pelosi so I don't want this to come across as an attack, but she is looking and sounding frail these days...

https://youtu.be/p_Rkidmhxis

https://youtu.be/gza7H3zG4g8

Sounds drunk but he's a tee totaller apparently.

He got his Vice Presidents name wrong recently. Mike Pounce. Not to mention Tim Apple.

Fair point. I'd say Trump has much further to than Pelosi though.

She obviously has her good moments and bad moments, and the bad moments are due to her advanced age, IMO.

How he said "anonymous" in the first clip and "united states" in the second, is en par with nearly Pelosi's entire declaration in post#1?

It sounded to me like Pelosi was struggling with nearly every word.

Which video? You do hopefully realize that a video which circulated earlier this year purporting to show Nancy Pelosi slurring her words heavily was a deep fake

• Advertisement

The second clip is actually a wardrobe malfunction which related to his dentures coming unglued

Advertisement