Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battlefield V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Falthyron wrote: »
    Do you regularly admire your avatar's design in first person perspective while playing FPS games? What difference does it make? This isn't an academic account of the SWW, its a piece of entertainment (taking many liberties) and I suspect most play these types of games to fly SWW aircraft, drive tanks, shoot MG42s and Garand rifles, not examine the biological make-up of an avatar.

If you want something, in terms of historical accuracy, more robust to question then direct it towards the use of a V1 in a battle. Considering the few that actually landed in mainland Europe, they targeted cities, not tanks.

I know all about buzz bombs, etc. Don't need to lecture me on it. This wimenz thing is just more PC bullsh*t.

Also having no premium pass means guaranteed micotransactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I know all about buzz bombs, etc. Don't need to lecture me on it. This wimenz thing is just more PC bullsh*t.

Also having no premium pass means guaranteed micotransactions.

Its not PC bullshít. Its a game. In fact, I showed the trailer to my girlfriend (who plays basic games like Trine, etc.) and she was asking questions about the girl in the trailer and if she can make a character like that. Nothing wrong with it because I am not looking for authenticity in avatars, just weapons, vehicles, etc.

Microtransactions are confirmed, but for the cosmetics. Not great, but at least there is no Season Pass and P2W elements.

I am pretty excited about this game. Just expecting them to announce a Battle Royale mode at E3 or for post-launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Feck it ...I'm onboard the hype train .....Choooo Chooooooo !

Showed wife trailer and kinda explained how a large % of people were pissed off because a woman was in WW2 and gamergate retards and it was considered "PC bull****" etc:

She said "but she just saved your life".....

Gonna be honest if stuff in video games, books or tv/movies upsets you shouldnt probably watch or play those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

A disabled woman in combat with the British Army in WWII does stretch things just a tad. I'm still not ruling out an alternate history take, the trailer could be set in the aftermath of a successful Operation Sealion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Evade wrote: »
    A disabled woman in combat with the British Army in WWII does stretch things just a tad. I'm still not ruling out an alternate history take, the trailer could be set in the aftermath of a successful Operation Sealion.

It's meant to be a multiplayer match, hence she respawns after dying and reappears.

Which highlights a problem with the trailer. It's a duct taped together mix of what initially looks like single player, mixed with some faked multiplayer and doesn't show either properly, or offers a fair reflection of either. The BF1 trailer was far better in capturing players imaginations and inspiring interest.

It's the stuff that's not in the trailer that's of more interest, no premium/season pass, no paid expansions, just a constant and free drip of regular new content.

Spear wrote: »
    It's meant to be a multiplayer match, hence she respawns after dying and reappears.

Which highlights a problem with the trailer. It's a duct taped together mix of what initially looks like single player, mixed with some faked multiplayer and doesn't show either properly, or offers a fair reflection of either. The BF1 trailer was far better in capturing players imaginations and inspiring interest.

It's the stuff that's not in the trailer that's of more interest, no premium/season pass, no paid expansions, just a constant and free drip of regular new content.
    Ah I missed that. The bit where she kills that guy at the end really makes it seem like single player.

If they wanted to keep everyone happy they could put a menu option to turn off certain customisation options from your perspective.

But we get 32 vs 32 Domination?? yeah cos that is actually important.

Like the only important thing in that trailer is we get 32 vs 32 domination, nothing else in the slightest matters.

Once we have that all is ok.

/hardcore obviously.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ah I missed that. The bit where she kills that guy at the end really makes it seem like single player.

She dies upon entering the house. But the multiplayer is all scripted stuff, so looking misleadingly like single player is almost unavoidable.

If they wanted to keep everyone happy they could put a menu option to turn off certain customisation options from your perspective.

World of Tanks and World of Warships have both done this, allowing users to turn off non-historical content, such as some garish skins or to make some promotional ships appear as their plain equivalent counterparts. The demand for it is a recognised one, but if DICE are heavily pushing the gaining of skins, I suspect they won't do it.

There are some bits in the trailer that aren't too obvious. When they go up the stairs there's rounds making it through the wall, which is a new thing they mentioned.

Then again there's also a Sturmtiger wandering about. Only something like 20 of them made, they fired a 370kg rocket. Might be a tad difficult to balance something meant to annihilate a reinforced and barricaded building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was looking forward to a genuine WW2 game from battlefield and that's not what that trailer felt like at all. In fact, wtf was that? There was a whiff of Fortnite off that.

There'll be real MP footage in about two weeks or so, that should give some proper insights.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    But we get 32 vs 32 Domination?? yeah cos that is actually important.

Like the only important thing in that trailer is we get 32 vs 32 domination, nothing else in the slightest matters.

Once we have that all is ok.

/hardcore obviously.
    To you. Other people might care about things you don't. If they wanted all this kind of stuff 214X probably would have been a better fit.

The demand for it is a recognised one, but if DICE are heavily pushing the gaining of skins, I suspect they won't do it.
    Don't tell EA but I'd almost pay more for that option.

I thought DICE could keep up momentum after a string of successful games. Then they go and give us a monumental SJW **** up like this.

Can't wait for the katana wielding disabled jewish black transgender Waffen SS soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Your anger is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I thought DICE could keep up momentum after a string of successful games. Then they go and give us a monumental SJW **** up like this.

Yeah Battlefront 2, most successful game ever :rolleyes:

This looks like shit, a reskin of the last battlefield, but that doesnt stop millions lapping up this horse shit..... AGAIN :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Everyone sprints around the map, reloads when they have a 90% full clip and respawn when they die, but it's the girls that ruin the immersion ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I love the look of it, just kind of wish that they went further with it and set the game in a Wolfenstein kind of setting. Say 1955 with WWII still going on and all kinds of experimental weapons and vehicles.

Still really encouraged by what I've seen so far though and this will most likely be a day one buy for me.

Your anger is hilarious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/

• Advertisement

Everyone sprints around the map, reloads when they have a 90% full clip and respawn when they die, but it's the girls that ruin the immersion ffs.

Plenty of stupid stuff in that trailer like the V1 and a pilot leaping out after a crash. Captain hook with a cockney accent and a samurai commando just take it to another level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not ruling it out but I'm not delighted with the cartoon approach to what has, to date, been a pretty serious franchise.

The fact that it's a woman, in WW2, fighting in combat with a quasi-futuristic fake arm is totally ridiculous for the time period. To suggest that being a little dismayed by that is being 'sexist' is just as ridiculous. People's problem isn't the woman, it's the cartoony comic book vibe she and the trailer gives off.

If she were just a normal woman in uniform I'd be perfectly accepting of that historical license and I suspect most others would be too, it's the fact they felt they had to turn the dial up 110 and cash-in on Fortnite/Call of Duty's custom skins and the more whacky asthetic.

So yeah, not personally gone on the trailer....doesn't really look like Battlefield to me, more a hybrid of COD/Fortnite meets Bad Company. Which is great, if that's your bag.

People complaining that gamers are angry because 'woman in WW2' are deliberately mis-construing a lot of the arguments and negative reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not sure I understand the Assignments from looking at the pre-order/deluxe editions
    Then again there's also a Sturmtiger wandering about. Only something like 20 of them made, they fired a 370kg rocket. Might be a tad difficult to balance something meant to annihilate a reinforced and barricaded building.

I think that might be a brummbär as while hard to see the gun doesn't look that big, but they did show a Sturmtiger in the slide show.

They're pushing the fortifications, having assault guns would be a good idea but if you have any of the more common ones you'd be better off using a normal tank.

Never played WOT but in War thunder the only time I use assault guns/howitzers is the cheaper ones to mess with the modern tanks.

Having them do as they're intended to be used, you need to differentiate them from the others. Also of the 2 vehicles that drove through the building, 1 was a 3" gun carrier which is a tank destroyer but gameplay wise could be used as an assault gun.

For the Brits thats
    Churchill, 3" , and what looks like a Valentine pulling the 40mm. They've also got another that was driving towards the Sturmtiger / brummbär which was very tall and didn't look very British but I think it might be an Achilles and maybe an AEC (from profile pic but that image is used before)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's pretty hilarious too. Reminds me of this.....

18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I hope it will have dance emotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I hope it will have dance emotes.

Wouldn't mind some appropriate emotes, like marching or let's say bagpipes for support class.

Do a "The Devil's Brigade" march, or of course some good old goose stepping and saluting for all.

Only kind of joking about the bagpipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

According to Jackfrags,Their also changing the way you get ammo and health. You have to physically get it from ammo depots And off bodies. Anyone in your squad can revive you but non medic classes only revive you to a certain health. A medic will revive you to full health. You can also drag fallen team mates to cover.The revive is now like Battlefrounds where you have to hold to revive. Looks like they might introduce Battle Royale at a later date. Why else make these changes.

https://youtu.be/xegBXGaFrOU

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I really dont know what to make of the trailer but really dont a fcuk either once its an enjoyable game with solid gunplay,combat and most important some good maps which is something dice seem to have forgotten how to do lately.

I have never bought a game off the back of a trailer reveal and never will.

I will decide for sure when i see some MP gameplay footage on PC [not console] and after i play the open beta.
    Am i excited its WW2? yes i am but will it feel like a genuine BF game ? who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I’ve no problem whatsoever with a game adding lots of silly cosmetics and having female characters or whatever when that’s clearly a design choice of the game. Anyone getting their knickers in a knot over that is just being a twat. We’ve had plenty of *accurate* WWII shooters over the years and we all got bored of them so let DICE do something new and interesting. The campaigns of the previous few instalments were plain awful so hopefully they produce something, anything worth playing.

My problem with Battlefield of late has been that MP gameplay has descended into farcical chaos without any balance unless you’ve poured hundreds of hours into the game. There’s just so much going on that it’s just a meat grinder for people like me with busy lives who are cannon fodder.

Advertisement