Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Graces7 wrote: »
    Realistic rather than negative ;)
    Even worse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

just beginning to snow in Moycullen Galway.
    Only very lightly and not sticking but still was not expecting anything except rain this far west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Some light snow just after starting here in Murrisk, West Mayo.

Continues to snow lightly here. Flakes getting bigger though and floating around nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Light snow in west Roscommon, just started...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

sean555 wrote: »
    just beginning to snow in Moycullen Galway.
    Only very lightly and not sticking but still was not expecting anything except rain this far west.

It is very cold out there, colder than I thought it would be by now. Cork airport was 2 degrees at noon, I don't feel its any warmer now (Blackrock Castle was 1.7 degrees at 12.24pm with a dew point of 0.4) and that's with the arrival of the rain/sleet imminent. Throw in night-time cooling and evaporative cooling (heaviest precip down here) and I'm not willing to throw in the towel just yet. It will definitely be rain/sleet at first but later.......?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Continues to snow lightly here. Flakes getting bigger though and floating around nicely!

So jealous 😞. Finding it hard to concentrate cos watching the sky with baited breath just in case!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Any chance of snow at all west wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It is very cold out there, colder than I thought it would be by now. Cork airport was 2 degrees at noon, I don't feel its any warmer now and that's with the arrival of the rain/sleet imminent. Throw in night-time cooling and evaporative cooling (heaviest precip down here) and I'm not willing to throw in the towel just yet. It will definitely be rain/sleet at first but later.......?

thats the fighting spirit. same here very cold. will dp be the problem though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Stunning view of lug from Arklow today,it's plastered in snow
    First view of it in a while
    Wish my phone had a binocular quality zoom

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, lookee here...the mountains are scattered with thin snow to the base. But this cold is a killer. Take the breath away.. my food gets cold before I am half through it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Very cold here this morning. Temperatures seemed to drop rapidly just before dawn. Water in the wipers was still liquid but froze instantly on contact with the windscreen. Strange effect. Should be snow here later at 250m.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If DP holds going into the night the midlands and perhaps further east should get an overnight coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Likely most are to be disappointed if they had any hopes for today. The front is delivering more moisture but slightly milder temperatures at key layers so while ground level may be noticeably cold precipitation will be falling through layers that are warmer and most likely as rain/sleet to low levels. Snow chance is best the further north and north east you are.

On the more positive side this is a "nowcasting" situation and stranger things have happened than for forecasts to be wrong at short intervals. I wouldn't expect much but i'm not ruling out a surprise also.

Well its a promising start, falling as snow along the western seaboard though admittedly mostly in North West where it was always looking good. grace7 though has put the cat amongst the pigeons with reports of Kingdom snow. Perhaps its her altitude though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Im waiting on the 06z update from... mountainyman! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

whats the chances for the greater northside of dublin getting snow later?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well its a promising start, falling as snow along the western seaboard though admittedly mostly in North West where it was always looking good. grace7 though has put the cat amongst the pigeons with reports of Kingdom snow. Perhaps its her altitude though.

I have to admit I was very surprised after reading the likely forecast here.. would be glad to know how to calculate asl here please. misread your post at ATTITUDE! The snow line seems only a very little higher than this house

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

Snowing in Galway city! Better flakes than any last week!

I note however the 13h reports on met.ie say it is now 6 degrees on Sherkin, 5 degrees at Valentia and 4 degrees at Mace Head all reporting rain / drizzle....:(

Still 0 at 4 stations, Moorepark (North Cork), Ballyhaise (Cavan), Knock and Dunsany (Meath).

Don't forget the initial snow in the east will settle easily tonight in sub zero temperatures and hardened surfaces. Snow is expected to fall in eastern areas for a few hours after midnight. It should turn to rain by morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

chris2007 wrote: »

Sleet/ Wet snow at best im afraid ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Poor. Light freezing rain more likely if the ground temps don't recover before dark.

As mentioned above, precip falling through warmer layers advancing with the front, lands as rain, freezes on contact. The worse of all outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Would love to see snow for the young fella tomorrow morning. Dublin 3. He's been asking about it because the teachers in Montessori have been saying it's going to snow.

I'd like to be proven wrong but I can't see it happening and if it does it will be during darkness unfortunately.

Snow chasing is a painful sport in Dublin. For marginal I always read no. Marginal just hasn't translated in past 5 to 10 years.

I remember from my own childhood very frequent snow. By the time I was 7 I just assumed it snowed heavily every winter. 82,84,87,90 serious snowfalls which were very much real highlights of my childhood. The sort of days where you'd wake up in wonderland. Deep snow as far as the eye could see and every child in town out and about

> 50% but only temporary - as in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Light snow now falling. South Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Snow just starting in Westport, light fluffy snow at the moment.

Just to note I'm 2 miles from coast with not much elevation above sea level. Snow getting heavier now. Temps 1.7 and SE wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Its just started to snow in Galway city
    A nice surprise because I was expecting sleet at best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

getting fairly cloudy and dark in Coolock at the moment, very cool as well:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Lumi wrote: »
    Its just started to snow in Galway city
    A nice surprise because I was expecting sleet at best :)
    That's a scarily good sign :D
    Where's your breeze coming from, off land?
    hollster2 wrote: »
    Any chance of snow at all west wicklow?

Hills above Tinahely, yes
    Village I'm not ruling out yet
    Dewpoint still sub zero in Arklow by the sea for example but the temp is rising
    Currently 2.7 dp -1c

Any breeze south or SE there is off the sea and would rise it a lot
    Less so Tinahely though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yellow Snow and ice warning from met eireann

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement