Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tom Clancy's The Division

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Great news for Xbox One owners :D

The Xbox One is the lead platform for The Division.

XB1 owners will also be getting exclusive DLC.
    Division developer touts "total" relationship with Xbox One and Microsoft

http://www.totalxbox.com/80362/division-developer-touts-total-relationship-with-xbox-one-and-microsoft/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The Xbox One is the lead platform for The Division.

XB1 owners will also be getting exclusive DLC.

http://www.totalxbox.com/80362/division-developer-touts-total-relationship-with-xbox-one-and-microsoft/
    Excellent news the XBox one potential is starting to blossom.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ems_medic

Reading that article would mean that the Division is going to be optimised for the Xbox One which begs a few questions:

Will this mean a lesser experience for PS4 owners ??????

Will this be the first next gen game that is graphically or framerate superior on Xbox One rather than PS4 ????

If that is the case then are developers finally getting to grips with the Xbox One SDK and does it finally show both consoles are graphically the same ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That's a bit strange as Ubisoft are the devs and they have been giving Sony exclusives for a while now. MS must be definitely splashing the cash.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    That's a bit strange as Ubisoft are the devs and they have been giving Sony exclusives for a while now. MS must be definitely splashing the cash.

There could be a few reasons for it but MS are probably splashing the cash and thats not a bad thing at all being honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

ems_medic wrote: »
    Will this mean a lesser experience for PS4 owners ??????

Probably not. Similar hardware architecture, slightly more grunt assumed in the PS4, probably a game on equal terms for both systems.
    Will this be the first next gen game that is graphically or framerate superior on Xbox One rather than PS4 ????

Doubtful, see above
    If that is the case then are developers finally getting to grips with the Xbox One SDK and does it finally show both consoles are graphically the same ?????

Hard to say, developers in the previous generation varied lead platforms with not a huge amount of reason (at least publicly) behind it.
    Example (Platinum Games); Vanquish was a developed with the PS3 as the lead platform, the 360 version was identical. Bayonetta was developed with the 360 as the lead platform, the PS3 version was not so good (though its development was farmed out, best example i could come up with).

There could be a few reasons for it but MS are probably splashing the cash and thats not a bad thing at all being honest

I'd say its the expertise as well. What they are planning sounds exactly what Microsoft can offer like the Azure "Cloud" servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It'll probably just mean both consoles end up being on par with each other given the technical differences between both consoles.

Ubisoft will have a good relationship with both of the platform holders. They, in turn, will both know it'll be important for the Snowdrop engine to look and run well on both their platforms, not just because of The Division but for any other Ubisoft titles it's used to build. As a result, they'll send over some of their engineers to Massive to ensure that the engine is as optimised as time allows for each platform. This isn't indicative of a lead platform and it's fairly common with most major engine development in larger studios.

As an aside, Ubisoft/Massive have already said the PS4 is the lead platform and that they're finding it easier to develop for, here.

gizmo wrote: »

As an aside, Ubisoft/Massive have already said the PS4 is the lead platform and that they're finding it easier to develop for, here.

They switched lead platform.

The rumour was out there in May that they were going to move and by June they had switched to the Xbox One and announced exclusive DLC for XB1 and they announced today they have a playable version of The Division already made on Xbox One. They are showing a demo of it at conferences.

The rumour was out there in May that they were going to move and by June they had switched to the Xbox One and announced exclusive DLC for XB1 and they announced today they have a playable version of The Division already made on Xbox One. They are showing a demo of it at conferences.
    My point was more the term "lead platform" in this case will ultimately (and in all probability) mean **** all difference outside of some exclusive DLC.

• Advertisement

The game is going to be almost identical on both and the only difference will be the exclusive DLC which will most likely only be a timed exclusive.

My point was more the term "lead platform" in this case will ultimately (and in all probability) mean **** all difference outside of some exclusive DLC.

It will mean that they will optimise the hell out of it for Xbox One which will make it look good and work good on both console platforms with the edition of some exclusive DLC on XB1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Looking forward to this now, it looks great.

It will mean that they will optimise the hell out of it for Xbox One which will make it look good and work good on both console platforms with the edition of some exclusive DLC on XB1.
    Which is what I said initially in my first reply. :)

To be clearer though, any additional resources Massive get from MS as part of their current arrangement will only really help ensure platform parity. The exclusive DLC issue is entirely separate and, imo, unwelcome issue anyway.

I'm wondering if this switch has anything to do with Ubisoft already having the game look and play as good as it will on the PS4 and have opted to use the time between now and launch to concentrate on getting the One version to run as good as the PS4 version.

I'm wondering if this switch has anything to do with Ubisoft already having the game look and play as good as it will on the PS4 and have opted to use the time between now and launch to concentrate on getting the One version to run as good as the PS4 version.

I highly doubt it. Its a deal with Microsoft across the board hence the switch. The game is still very much in development across all platofrms. They are focusing on Xbox One has the lead, IMO I'd say they probably need the Azure servers for their grand plan.
    To be clearer though, any additional resources Massive get from MS as part of their current arrangement will only really help ensure platform parity. The exclusive DLC issue is entirely separate and, imo, unwelcome issue anyway.

We don't know if fairness so we'll have to wait and see.

IMO I'd say they probably need the Azure servers for their grand plan.

Giving Ubisofts is not exactly great at online gameplay (putting it nicely) I'd say this is really where MS are helping them and the Azure servers are an important part of it as there's alot of processing power to be harvested by Ubisoft and the developers there.

We don't know if fairness so we'll have to wait and see.
    But of course, I'm simply going by previous precedent with a sprinkling of common sense. :)
    I highly doubt it. Its a deal with Microsoft across the board hence the switch. The game is still very much in development across all platofrms. They are focusing on Xbox One has the lead, IMO I'd say they probably need the Azure servers for their grand plan.
    Well they confirmed awhile back that the game will use dedicated servers for an unknown portion of the online game. I'd imagine that's what will rely on Azure.

No doubt development is ongoing but I would imagine that they have the game working as good as it can on the PS4 given all the earlier comments regarding the console made by the developer. The One has been the more difficult of the two to programme for so it makes sense that they would focus more on the One, especially if Microsoft are throwing some money their way. I still don't see there being much of a gap come launch day and I'd expect if anything the PS4 version to run better.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Ahh xbox schmexbox :D

• Advertisement

No doubt development is ongoing but I would imagine that they have the game working as good as it can on the PS4 given all the earlier comments regarding the console made by the developer. The One has been the more difficult of the two to programme for so it makes sense that they would focus more on the One, especially if Microsoft are throwing some money their way. I still don't see there being much of a gap come launch day and I'd expect if anything the PS4 version to run better.

Thats interesting Id love to have a read of those comments have you any links????

I dont know about running better on PS4 Im not a techy person but Id imagine Xb1 is lead console for a considered reason. Have Ubisoft come out and daid the PS4 version is working yet???

Thats interesting Id love to have a read of those comments have you any links????

I dont know about running better on PS4 Im not a techy person but Id imagine Xb1 is lead console for a considered reason. Have Ubisoft come out and daid the PS4 version is working yet???

This is a quote from awhile back that has already been linked to in this thread.
    "PlayStation 4 is the more powerful hardware and we feel it is easier to develop for. Snowdrop works better on PS4 and even if Microsoft do want us to shift lead platform that's not something that has happened." said Massive Entertainment.l

This is a quote from awhile back that has already been linked to in this thread.

Thanks it's 8 pages of posts which post # is it so I can go read the full context? Also in fairness thats only one comment not lots of comments and that one comment has since been proven wrong with the lead console changing.

Do you know if they have a fully working game yet on PS4??? I can't seem to find anything that says either way

Thanks it's 8 pages of posts which post # is it so I can go read the full context? Also in fairness thats only one comment not lots of comments and that one comment has since been proven wrong with the lead console changing.

Do you know if they have a fully working game yet on PS4??? I can't seem to find anything that says either way
    It's from my post above and nothing was proven wrong. While FAILSAFE 00 claimed they had switched lead platform there's no actual evidence of this, including the link to the interview on Total Xbox.

From the last couple of reports, they don't have a full game working on anything yet. Just an engine with, I imagine, a chunk of the world built for demonstration purposes.

It's from my post above and nothing was proven wrong. While FAILSAFE 00 claimed they had switched lead platform there's no actual evidence of this, including the link to the interview on Total Xbox.

From the last couple of reports, they don't have a full game working on anything yet. Just an engine with, I imagine, a chunk of the world built for demonstration purposes.

From the article they said they have a working version of the game on Xbox One and that after E3 last year they started to talk to Microsoft about what they needed and what Microsoft could offer and sealed the deal.

When it comes down to multiplayer at this level Microsoft is the only choice given it's expertise and resources in dedicated servers.

Also your last couple of reports are dated back to January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

When it comes down to multiplayer at this level Microsoft is the only choice given it's expertise and resources in dedicated servers.

"At this level"?? Please explain to me what new level of multiplayer gaming this is? Or why this games multiplayer will be any different on PS4? Sounds like rubbish to me,some proof/link would also be nice.

Making ridiculous statements about a game that has not even got a release date:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

EoinHef wrote: »
    "At this level"?? Please explain to me what new level of multiplayer gaming this is? Or why this games multiplayer will be any different on PS4? Sounds like rubbish to me,some proof/link would also be nice.

Making ridiculous statements about a game that has not even got a release date:(

at this level I think he meant as in been able to go in and out of zones from pvp to playing with friends with out any loading screens etc in such an open world (more open then destiny by the sounds of it).... don't think he meant anything as in its different to ps4
    So basicly it will need alot of power to run this on dedicated servers (I hope) and MS is the answer to that for the xbox one version at least, their servers are superior to sonys, (not saying sonys are bad, their perfectly capable of handling it, but MS ones are better)

also its hardly ridiculous
    MS are known for their software
    Sony are known for their hardware
    so I guess MASSIVE is getting best of both worlds from both companys
    MS cloud sounds like rubbish and all talk but it really is impressive in what it can do. Whether or not it implies to this game (sounds like it will) we won't know unless they tell us :) but hopefully it will, give it a chance to really shine and show people what it can do, if not , well then I guess we will be stuck with ubi servers and no one wants that...

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    at this level I think he meant as in been able to go in and out of zones from pvp to playing with friends with out any loading screens etc in such an open world (more open then destiny by the sounds of it).... don't think he meant anything as in its different to ps4
    So basicly it will need alot of power to run this on dedicated servers (I hope) and MS is the answer to that for the xbox one version at least, their servers are superior to sonys, (not saying sonys are bad, their perfectly capable of handling it, but MS ones are better)

also its hardly ridiculous
    MS are known for their software
    Sony are known for their hardware
    so I guess MASSIVE is getting best of both worlds from both companys
    MS cloud sounds like rubbish and all talk but it really is impressive in what it can do. Whether or not it implies to this game (sounds like it will) we won't know unless they tell us :) but hopefully it will, give it a chance to really shine and show people what it can do, if not , well then I guess we will be stuck with ubi servers and no one wants that...

Theres quoted articles from total xbox saying MS is working with Massive to get the best from Xbox,nothing about xbox being "lead platform". Ridiculos to make the jump. So rubbish comment.

So in your opinion only MS dedicated servers will run/are suitable for this game,why bother release it on any other platform then? Obviously there not essential. Again misleading rubbish,dedicated servers are nice to have but not essential.

Ive still yet to see what MS cloud can do,so far it has not done anything amazing that im aware of. Im not dismissing it but its unproven.

The game will most likely be the same on both consoles,bar maybe the resolution and maybe a few post processing effects.

Making sweeping statements about the game at this stage is imo ridiculous,theres just not enough known yet for half the assertions made here

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

EoinHef wrote: »
    Theres quoted articles from total xbox saying MS is working with Massive to get the best from Xbox,nothing about xbox being "lead platform". Ridiculos to make the jump. So rubbish comment.

So in your opinion only MS dedicated servers will run/are suitable for this game,why bother release it on any other platform then? Obviously there not essential. Again misleading rubbish,dedicated servers are nice to have but not essential.

Ive still yet to see what MS cloud can do,so far it has not done anything amazing that im aware of. Im not dismissing it but its unproven.

The game will most likely be the same on both consoles,bar maybe the resolution and maybe a few post processing effects.

Making sweeping statements about the game at this stage is imo ridiculous,theres just not enough known yet for half the assertions made here

A lot of what it does well is in the background that most users don't really see. It's pretty easy to develop for and it scales up and down very well. Instead of the devs managing their servers and ensuring they have enough hardware in place to cater for the demand they just let azure deal with it and they only pay for the amount of hardware they need. Think of when Sim City was released and people were waiting up to an hour to get a game because the servers were overloaded. If they had used something like Azure then Microsoft would just assign more servers to the Sim City pool and then when demand reduces a few days after launch day Microsoft just remove servers from the pool. It just removes a lot of the infrastructure management that can cause so much hassle.

I don't see any reason why the PS4 version wouldn't be able to use the Azure servers (it's possible something Sony's side or Microsoft's side blocks it but I doubt it) so this is a benefit to both consoles.

• Advertisement

A lot of what it does well is in the background that most users don't really see. It's pretty easy to develop for and it scales up and down very well. Instead of the devs managing their servers and ensuring they have enough hardware in place to cater for the demand they just let azure deal with it and they only pay for the amount of hardware they need. Think of when Sim City was released and people were waiting up to an hour to get a game because the servers were overloaded. If they had used something like Azure then Microsoft would just assign more servers to the Sim City pool and then when demand reduces a few days after launch day Microsoft just remove servers from the pool. It just removes a lot of the infrastructure management that can cause so much hassle.

I don't see any reason why the PS4 version wouldn't be able to use the Azure servers (it's possible something Sony's side or Microsoft's side blocks it but I doubt it) so this is a benefit to both consoles.

This comment i understand,the scaling they can use with the servers is good alright but how does that affect gameplay? It only puts more servers online if theres more players which is nice. Thats not going to change how the game plays. I doubt its going to be unplayable on the other platforms its released on because only MS servers can handle it.

Advertisement