Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The best and worst Washing Machine Brands

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Miele's yer only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Worztron I have read the many interesting replies to your question and of the 3 machines listed in your initial list definitely the Bosch is the best but leaving that aside a customer when buying a machine needs to ask a few questions, how far do the purse strings stretch, when I pick a particular make can spares be sourced easily if needed. check the spec of the machine etc. The most of the machines nowadays are basically throw away once they give any major trouble. Nearly all the cheaper appliances now with well known brand names are made in Turkey , Romania, even Whirlpool are made in China and parts such as bearings to be seem to made of metal akin to the hardness of butter which cant be changed because the drum is glued together. The Bosch/Siemens washers can be stripped down for rebuild if needed, rarely will they require much more than brushes and a water pump, Miele super wm, that's my imput and I have been servicing them since Hoover made the 3203 automatic washer

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

I'm in the market for a washing machine at the moment. Could someone please share their experiences with some newer entrants to the market; Gorenje and Nordmende. Both come in at the lower end of the market, price-wise, and are all I can afford, at the moment.

The Normende comes with a 3 year parts and labour gaurentee, the Gorenje comes with a 5 year parts and labour gaurentee.

Would I be better off saving up some more money for a better "quality" brand?

I would have no problem buying a cheap washer with a 5 year parts and labour guarantee as long as they have service techs in the country to uphold the guarantee.

I spent a lot of money on a top of the range Whirlpool that has given trouble from day one. Its on its third drum in as many years now and has cost a fortune in repairs.

Meanwhile I bought the cheapest dishwasher I could find, a Finlux, that came with an excellent warranty and hasn't given an ounce of trouble in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Hotpoint. is a hotpoint or rather a sorepoint for me... Pure ****e. Washing machine, Fridge, Dryer. All ****e.

God, all my appliances are hotpoint except dishwasher and microwave. Only problem I've had so far is problem with washing machine and tumbledryer I was seriously overloading them but all they needed was quick repair and stop overloading and no problems since then. Into my 8h year with them and 7th year with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭fm

What gorenje model is it?most of the lower cost water products have only a 2 year warranty.i know people who have gorenje machines for the past 3 years with no problems.

gorenje are only new to this country(well known across europe) brought in by hafele,while the current nordmende brand is just a trade name bought by kal in dublin,only sold in ireland afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

not much good in Irl, its 120v

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Miele are worth every last penny. Consider it an investment as you won't have to replace it for at least 20 years. I remember when my mum bought one in 2008, there was someone else in the shop replacing their Miele, which they had bought in 1967 with a brand new one.
    Stay well clear of Hotpoint, Beko and such brands. If you can't justify a Miele, then I would look at a good Zanussi or Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Regarding spin speed, my parents bought their first automatic front loading washing machine 40 odd years ago and it only had an 800 spin, but the design of the drum has a lot to do with efficiency and it used to dry the clothes better than their current Siemens with a 1200 spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irelandjnr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irelandjnr

Congratulations.

Advertisement