Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advanced Open Water - Where & when?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

pbarry wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently completed the Open Water with http://www.topdiving.net/en-index.htm (Gran Canaria). I'm eager to continue diving while it's all still fresh! Bad time of year weather wise, but wondering what my best options are for the AOW course.

I was looking at this course starting in Jan '10: http://www.scubadivewest.com/index.php/Advanced-Open-Water/PADI-Advanced-Open-Water-Diver-Course.html. I'm also thinking of doing the Dry Suit course first on 12th Dec '09, meaning I can continue the AOW in a dry suit. Also, keep in mind I have yet to dive in Ireland. So I would need to squeeze in one or two dives first. Perhaps the dry suit course would be sufficient as an intro to Irish diving?

Any info much appreciated.

-pb

I suggest you choose to do the Dry Suit Adventure Dive as one of your three 'elective' dives in the AOW. Then you're qualified to use a dry suit and you don't have to pay for the full Specialty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

pbarry wrote: »
    Bad time of year weather wise

You couldn't pick a better time... half the country is underwater! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

gary82 wrote: »
    You couldn't pick a better time... half the country is underwater! ;)

ha ha ha ha brilliant LOL.

You don't need to do a specialty to be "qualified" to dive in a drysuit. In fact the OW course can be completed wearing a drysuit.

But as stated previously. elect to do the dry suit dive as part of the AOW and most likely they will keep you in the gear for the whole of the course.

Diving in Ireland is gonna be an eye opener compared to the canaries, especially this time of year. But def Scubadive west is a very good option, the fjord there is pretty much sheltered all year round, so whilst the more spectacular sites will be closed out due to weather, you will most likely get your course finished!

You could also check out Oceandivers.ie They run courses from Dublin, and diver regularly at Scubadive West's location. They may even do a drysuit orientation before you head away for the AOW. Sound bunch of lads too.

as a side, I can understand that you want to capitalise on your knowledge and build on it, but try going for a few pleasure dives first before becoming a course junkie, courses, while providing valuable training and insight, mean nothing without the experience to back em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

loctite wrote: »
    You don't need to do a specialty to be "qualified" to dive in a drysuit. In fact the OW course can be completed wearing a drysuit.

True, and even as I was typing it I knew that I wasn't really expressing myself well. No, you don't need to be "qualified" as such, but there are certain skills that you should really have practised with an instructor before you rent or buy a drysuit. If you do the specialty or the 'Adventure Dive', then you get the chance to do that practice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Did mine with Ocean divers. Had great weekend down in Sligo somewhere doing the specialities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Wasn't Mullaghnore by any chance??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yes it was indeed. How could I forget. Good guys in the dive centre there too. Stayed in Donegal Town. One of my best diving weekends:)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

loctite wrote: »
    as a side, I can understand that you want to capitalise on your knowledge and build on it, but try going for a few pleasure dives first before becoming a course junkie, courses, while providing valuable training and insight, mean nothing without the experience to back em up.

Yeah think that's an idea. Postponed the Dry suit dive for now. Heading to Spain for a week in Feb so may plan ahead and do the AOW there instead. Certainly no need for a dry suit!! Rock of Gibraltar not to far away also, dive centre in Torremolinos runs a few trips out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Might be better idea to hire a car and drive to Gib for the day. While there do two dives on the wrecks of the "Rosslyn" and "Excellent", nice diving.

Then take the cable car to the top of the Rock and walk back down.

Great when you're not scheduled.

Costa del Sol diving is mainly all sand. Okay for training, but not for the adventure.

Enjoy!

Seadeuce

Advertisement