Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Chapter 3 or 4

Before i start using dynamite
    Is there a way to free the Braithwaite Orphan sister

She is one now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

I'm well into this game now. Chapter 5.
    It's great mostly. Graphics, sound, music, characters, landscape, etc.
    Starts slow alright, but after a few chapters there are a ton of missions and side quests.
    Plus you can just create a camp and fast travel most places.
    I love the fact that it's slow paced to be honest. It sucks you right in, if you let it.

The story goes from the sublime to the ridiculous.
    Shooting up the town and paying a few dollars to cover the mass destruction is a bit mad, ted :)
    The other missions are really really good and varied.

Plus, I need to watch a few you tube video to figure out dead eye and combat. It's not really clear to me.
    Mostly I just press 2 buttons ...
    Better do that soon. I'm happy enough though to go mostly brown or silver medals for missions.

Wondering, without any spoilers please, at what point in the game can you no longer do certain things.
    I know there are yellow story missions that you have to do on each chapter.
    Then the white optional ones which I always do before continuing the story missions.

I wondering about all the other bits 'n' pieces.
    e.g. hunting the legendary animals; finding all the dinosaur bones; ...
    When is this stuff no longer available.
    e.g. which chapter ???

(thanks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I'm well into this game now. Chapter 5.
    It's great mostly. Graphics, sound, music, characters, landscape, etc.
    Starts slow alright, but after a few chapters there are a ton of missions and side quests.
    Plus you can just create a camp and fast travel most places.
    I love the fact that it's slow paced to be honest. It sucks you right in, if you let it.

The story goes from the sublime to the ridiculous.
    Shooting up the town and paying a few dollars to cover the mass destruction is a bit mad, ted :)
    The other missions are really really good and varied.

Plus, I need to watch a few you tube video to figure out dead eye and combat. It's not really clear to me.
    Mostly I just press 2 buttons ...
    Better do that soon. I'm happy enough though to go mostly brown or silver medals for missions.

Wondering, without any spoilers please, at what point in the game can you no longer do certain things.
    I know there are yellow story missions that you have to do on each chapter.
    Then the white optional ones which I always do before continuing the story missions.

I wondering about all the other bits 'n' pieces.
    e.g. hunting the legendary animals; finding all the dinosaur bones; ...
    When is this stuff no longer available.
    e.g. which chapter ???

(thanks!)

Glad you have the patience to appreciate the game for the masterpiece it is!

You can do all the 100% stuff in your own time. If I was to redo 100% myself I'd probably finish the story missions and do everything at the end, some things will be found throughout the story missions though but they will show in the stats if you got it or not. The cigarette cards and exotics are probably the most time consuming. Yellow missions you have to do to progress, iirc the white stranger missions do not count towards 100%!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Glad you have the patience to appreciate the game for the masterpiece it is!

You can do all the 100% stuff in your own time. If I was to redo 100% myself I'd probably finish the story missions and do everything at the end, some things will be found throughout the story missions though but they will show in the stats if you got it or not. The cigarette cards and exotics are probably the most time consuming. Yellow missions you have to do to progress, iirc the white stranger missions do not count towards 100%!

Don't think you can, I might be getting confused between 100% and getting all the trophies though, but I know that for some of the requests like finding a specific book for a campmate can't be completed after a certain stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

Well into chapter 6 now, and it's just sublime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

This thread is making me want to throw myself into Online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Well into chapter 6 now, and it's just sublime.

I really enjoyed it, I don't understand the hate for it being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Reckon this will be playable on ps5 day one? Never finished it so think I'll start a new playthrough

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This thread is making me want to throw myself into Online.

There's an online thread, it hasn't got a lot of activity.... for good reason!

Oh really? I avoided The online for some reason. Is it too late to jump in as a newbie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

Just signed up again to say ...

Finished RDR2 main game and epilogs. I enjoyed it a lot!

The characters and story are great. You care for them and their outcomes.
    It's quite shakespearean at times. Smart, witty, engaging dialogue.
    Arthur's story is beautifully done and you care about the poor bastard.
    Plus, the epilogs take the game in another direction, that ties up things well.
    At least so far as the next game. Graphics, sounds, music, songs. Wonderful.
    I think I did most of the side quests. About 40 hours in total.
    The side quests are essential to do to flesh out the game.
    There are some unforgettable scenes in this game.
    Also, I took the high honour route. Feels good man :)

The shoot-em-up parts jar at times unfortunately and take you out of the experience.
    Even though they are very well executed and mostly exciting, they are not realistic.
    I think a more measured, tactical, stealthy gameplay would have worked better.
    It's mostly a very simple interactive movie.
    There is very little challenge and you are always told what to do and where to go next.
    You can always aim for gold medals if you want more challenge, but I don't have time to go back.
    I know people complain about the pacing, but I thought it was fine.
    With fast travel and skipping side quests you could do this in 20 hours.
    I enjoyed the slow pace. Even doing some ranch work in the epilog was engaging.
    Before all hell breaks lose again :)

Yep, great game. Looks at some of the 4k HDR montages on YouTube if you have the tech.
    Listen to those songs. You've got Willy Nelson singing a song in the game FFS.
    Who else would have produced a game like this and spend all this time and money making it.
    If it wasn't for GTA cash this game would never had happened. It was a huge risk.

I have just got RDR1 now. Will play it in a few months.
    Gave it a quick spin. The start scenes on the train and then John gets ... fantastic.
    Looks and plays clunky compared to 2, but still intrigued to see where this goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

They would of made this game anyway, no matter how good GTA V done. It’s R*’a second biggest franchise.

Enjoy RDR1, it’s far better than 2 imo, the controls aren’t too bad. I played it back a couple of years ago on a PS3 using a DS4 and it felt even better than it did the first time I played it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    They would of made this game anyway, no matter how good GTA V done. It’s R*’a second biggest franchise.

Enjoy RDR1, it’s far better than 2 imo, the controls aren’t too bad. I played it back a couple of years ago on a PS3 using a DS4 and it felt even better than it did the first time I played it.

OK - good to know. Looking forward to it !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just started a new story again. I really think there are seeds for a sequel, a game set before the events of RDR 2. They keep talking about how they have been through a lot worse in the past during the Colter chapter. I imagine if they make an RDR3 it will be set during those events.

I could see a new protagonist being created, with a young Arthur carrying on as a secondary protagonist. The O'Driscoll Boys would probably be a major antagonist in-game which would explain the story of how Dutch lost Annebelle and when he killed Colm's brother. It looks to me like the O'Driscolls were a family at one time. Perhaps there would be a deeper background story on the gang. It could probably be set in the 1880's which would be an ideal time I think.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Just started a new story again. I really think there are seeds for a sequel, a game set before the events of RDR 2. They keep talking about how they have been through a lot worse in the past during the Colter chapter. I imagine if they make an RDR3 it will be set during those events.

I could see a new protagonist being created, with a young Arthur carrying on as a secondary protagonist. The O'Driscoll Boys would probably be a major antagonist in-game which would explain the story of how Dutch lost Annebelle and when he killed Colm's brother. It looks to me like the O'Driscolls were a family at one time. Perhaps there would be a deeper background story on the gang. It could probably be set in the 1880's which would be an ideal time I think.

prequel you mean! Only way to go is another prequel to RDR 1. Which would be a sequel to RDR2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

prequel you mean! Only way to go is another prequel to RDR 1. Which would be a sequel to RDR2.

Yeah, my mistake. When I was writing that I was considering the numbering of the game making it a sequel in the sense of it being the third installment (not counting red dead revolver) but you're right. It would be a prequel.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Yeah, my mistake. When I was writing that I was considering the numbering of the game making it a sequel in the sense of it being the third installment (not counting red dead revolver) but you're right. It would be a prequel.

Complete revamp of RDR 1 would be cool especially on next gen. I think GTA 6 is Rockstar's next project, it's in early development so rumours say. Can imagine the map will be enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Complete revamp of RDR 1 would be cool especially on next gen. I think GTA 6 is Rockstar's next project, it's in early development so rumours say. Can imagine the map will be enormous.

You'd hope GTA6 is further along than early development. RDR2 has been out 2 years at this stage and GTA5 was released 7 years ago.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Unless it's completly unrelated any new game would have to be another prequel.

John's story is pretty set before rd1 is meant to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Well given that at the end of RDR1 the age of the cowboy was practically over, they don't really have any other option other than going back in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Started the story again (3rd time) a few nights ago. Loads I forgot. Same stunning parts, same frustrations. Too much riding on a horse.

Went back into my old save game and remembered how I just like running around St Denis with the cheats on blowing people up with the explosive arrows.

Haven't played online yet. Is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭20silkcut

RedRochey wrote: »
    Well given that at the end of RDR1 the age of the cowboy was practically over, they don't really have any other option other than going back in time

The 1920’s and 30’s were an intersting time with the likes of Al Capone bonnie and Clyde and John Dillinger and the bootleg era etc. It still was pretty wild. The FBI was just founded around then be great to be pitted against them in an open world game. Wouldn’t take much to make a story out of that involving some of the RDR protagonists.
    And cars would be on the scene too for all those that get bored with horses.
    But personally as another poster said I’d rather go back deeper into the old west of the 1880’s etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

I’m playing since it came out and found the registry stone just last night

• Registered Users Posts: 21,970 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Updating from original Xbox One to the series X may also get a new 4k tv and replay this from the start again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Definitely restarting the story when i get the series x. Had a little replay of some chapter 1 missions and have barely any memory of them given its two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Definitely restarting the story when i get the series x. Had a little replay of some chapter 1 missions and have barely any memory of them given its two years ago.

Jesus, is it 2 years old already. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

yeah its mad. Gta 5 still feels like a newish game and is 7 years old, skyrim near a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I plan on upgrading my TV and to a PS5 some time next year. The TV I have now is just a standard HD one that’s years old, really took away the experience of playing games like this considering I could barely make anything out in the night time sections. Had to rush thought my play through because of this too, also due to the noise the PS4 makes. So definitely will be giving this a second play through when I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Played on lovely and quiet Xbox One X, 1440p monitor and the last 2 chapters on 4k HDR OLED tv. I think it's a brilliant game. Does start off slow but just gets better and better. Definitely looks much much better in the higher resolutions.

Really didn't want a new console for a while but faster loading and potentially better frame rates is a huge win for these kind of games. I see Witcher 3 has instant fast travel plus quick resume means it's fast and simple to switch games on series x/s.

• Advertisement
Advertisement